What's new

*** Official ALIEN VS. PREDATOR Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Sorry, but that is just a technicality, dead is dead. The Bishop android ceased to function directly from the damage he received from the Queen Alien; hence, he died from that damage. The android was non functional until Ripley "fixed" it.

Mary, mine too, I absolutely loved it.:D

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Well, if you really wanna get technical, Bishop isn't a living thing so he cannot be "killed". Any way you address it, you really can't say he was killed by an alien. C'mon, he's a machine that's still functioning in the sequel to the film in question. As for the pen thing, I think it's incredibly stupid. First of all, it's just a blatant attempt at trying to appeal to fans by recalling a memorable scene from one of the film's vastly superior predecessors. Secondly, it makes absolutely no sense. Are we to believe that the creators of the Bishop droid programmed him with this worthless skill because his supposed inspiration did it hundreds of years before? Sorry, PWSA, it's gonna take more than that to make "Alien" fans think you actually give a crap.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I see you're still a big fan of Mr. Anderson Bill.;)

And since the story is credited, along with Anderson, to the original Alien screenwriters, Dan O'Bannon and Ron Shusett, you shouldn't direct all your hatred towards him alone regarding the story.

I watched AVP again recently and this "Alien" fan still enjoyed the hell out of it.:emoji_thumbsup:

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I still enjoyed it no matter what is said about it. It had action and that is what I like in a film. That, to me anyway, was why I despised a movie like "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow." NO action except phony wannabe serial cliffhanger crap. I'll take AVP over that POS anyday. At least the story line in AVP was original.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

No, because they didn't participate in the writing of this cinematic trainwreck. Paul WS Anderson took it upon himself to "borrow" elements from early drafts of the "Alien" screenplay by O'Bannon and Shusett. Early posters and the novelization credited Anderson and fellow hack Shane Salerno as the screenwriters. At the last minute, Shusett and O'Bannon were credited for their "contributions", and Salerno's credit was removed for some reason. In any case, "Alien" wasn't great because of the O'Bannon/Shusett script. The basic premise is theirs but more credit should go to David Giler, Walter Hill, HR Giger and Ridley Scott for taking an average concept and elevating it beyond the run-of-the-mill b-movie that O'Bannon and Shusett wrote. These people were smart to improve on something deeply flawed. Paul WS Anderson was dumb to try to rip something off that didn't work in the first place. Anyways, I'm amazed that anyone over the age of 13 could like this movie.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
28 years old here and I enjoyed AVP. I wasn't expecting anything like the original Alien or Predator, but it was a good action flick.

It was cheesy at times, still never figured out how the predators found and brought back the ALIENS, but as far as storyline goes it was decent.

I think if you go in expecting something similar to the movies Alien and Predator you're are going to be disappointed, but if you go in expecting just a decent action flick you'll be happy.

I plan on watching again.

Matt Leigh

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the disc and have watched it a number of times.

Besides the fact that the storyline is so contrived beyond belief the movie still manages to work quite well. The Alien effects and creature work hasn't looked better since Aliens and the Predator looks better than he ever has before (except in the case of the stunt Predator suits)

In terms of where I'd place the movie it is not as good Alien 3 but better than Resurrection. It is also a better film than Predator 2 but not as good as Predator.

If I were to be able to go into the past and change what story they had there is no way that the temple would have been in Antarctica and 1000 feet under the ice and be used every 100 years. I would have placed the Predator pyramid in Mexico and have it recently discovered by Archeologists. As soon as the seal on it was broken it would have alerted the Predators to come on in and kill everyone in it to stop the Aliens contained within from being let loose on the planet. I think something like that is easier to swallow than the concept that ended up in the movie.

Sue_New

Stunt Coordinator
All I have to say is YAY! for the X-Files reference! (Piper Maru)

Otherwise, this film was not the best. It was enjoyable for the fluff that it was. I won't demand my money back. ;)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I would have demanded my money back if I actually paid anything to see it. Fortunately, the "Predator" SE had that free ticket.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, I saw it last month. On one hand, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. On the other hand, it wasn't nearly as good as it could have been.

I'd rather that the pyramid would have been located somewhere in deep, dark S America or Africa, where we could have some consistancy with the previous Predator films where they like warm climates. Ideally, I would have rather had the whole thing in the future, and we had Marines going toe to toe with these guys, rather than the humans just being fodder to be killed off quickly.

That being said, the plot wasn't too bad. Mostly, it is the execution that I find questionable. I found most of the fights to be pretty forgettable. Also, I kinda feel sorry for the chick at the end, since she'll probably freeze to death without all of that clothing.

5/10

Jason

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Over the age of 13 (49 here) and yet so many on this board, apparently over that age, raved about how great the ridiculous "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" was. At least AVP had some action in it. SCAWOT bored me silly. Talk about a preposterous story line. In the end it all boils down to "whatever floats your boat.":D

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

Realllyyyyy? S.C had more originality and creativity in one frame then A vs. P had in it's whole 90 minutes. Even Jason X was better.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor

Count me in as another one who HATED Sky Captain and the stinky shit that bubbled up from the anus of the earth. It just bored me to tears!

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Why are we even bringing up "Sky Captain" here? What does it have anything to do with AvP? If anything, we should be compareing it to other Alien and Predator films, not a movie that has nothing to do with it.

Personally, I never liked the idea of pumping up a film you like by bringing another film down. It is pointless.

Jason

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Just for comparison to note that what someone likes others may despise. Threads like this serve that purpose right. I just wanted to point out that some people praise one film and lambast another and vice-versa. They are both Sci-Fi films so a comparison is in order. Pesonally I enjoyed the fights in AVP and was glad it was devoid of the pointless schmaltz in SCAWOT. With AVP you got exactly what was advertised, a mindless action film made to entertain, nothing more, nothing less.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

I don't think that's Jason's point. It is not comparing and contrasting two films with similarities worth comparing that is going on - it is more 'well at least it didn't stink as bad as X.' I agree. One film doesn't shine brighter because some other film is worse.

Shawn_McD

Stunt Coordinator
I liked this movie, the alien/predator hybrid was in the comic books, so this is an omage to that.

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I read several of the posts in this thread before I watched the movie this weekend. Just going off everyone's reactions I was expecting to hate it. I was pleasently surprised when I actually enjoyed it. Sure it had some problems, but I can live with them.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales

Yeah, that would make more sense. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but did AVP ever state how the pyramid was built? I know it was supposed to be thousands of years old but Antarctica has been uninhabitable for millions of years so I doubt even a tri-cultural force could have managed such a feat in the inhospitable conditions there. Picky I know, but things like that bother me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks