What's new

Official Academy Awards Nominations 2010 Thread (Announced) (2 Viewers)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by TonyD

I didn't read what was in that link, I was wondering what Sam thought was a surprise, as I mentioned in the other post I though A Serious Man is a surprise because who actually saw the movie.
I thought District 9 was the big surprise. I enjoyed the movie well enough, but never would have expected a best picture nod.

Sorry for posting that link, guys. I misread Ron's original post.

Overall, I think it is a pretty good list of nominees. I certainly don't think Cameron wins just because, but I do think it is nice that the Academy recognizes the significant achievement in film that Avatar represents.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

Star Trek and District 9 getting visual effects noms over Transformers 2 and 2012 shows that they were looking at the overall film quality a bit too much as compared to the category itself.
I agree, 2012 had some bad reviews but the visual effects were incredible and should have been Avatars biggest competition in that category. And why just 3 picks for visual effects? Rubbish!

Nothing for Watchmen? Not even for sound? tsk tsk

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott

I pretty much quit reading when I saw THE BLIND SIDE get a Best Picture nom. As expected, the 10 noms are just trying to bring in mainstream viewers. I haven't seen a single list where this film appeared on a top 10, although I'm sure it did make it somewhere but then again, just about every movie will make someones top 10.

I understand people enjoyed the movie even though I thought it was pretty horrid. With that said, it's nothing more (at best) than a feel good sports movie that we've seen countless times before.
Totally agree...I was hoping that maybe a Foreign film might make the list...it's been a long time since that happened.

Also a shame that Sandra Bullock will win the best actress award....I knew it was a longshot but I was hoping that Tilda Swinton would be nominated for Julia. Those 2 perfectly illustrate the difference between what an "Actress" is and what a "Movie Star" is.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jay E

Totally agree...I was hoping that maybe a Foreign film might make the list...it's been a long time since that happened.

A foreign film did make the list, An Education. It's just not a foreign language film.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

A foreign film did make the list, An Education. It's just not a foreign language film.
Sorry, I meant Foreign language Film.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Inglourious Basterds was at least half of a foreign language film.

The Secret of the Kells was so far from left field that my friend, who prides himself in seeing around 80% of all nominated films (including seeing the short features and going to numerous film festivals), had never heard of it. Was there something wrong with Ponyo? That was my second favorite animated feature this year, right behind The Fantastic Mr. Fox.

I've actually seen 7 of the Best Picture nominees, and I plan on watching A Serious Man soon. I'm really iffy on The Blind Side as it will probably strain my eyes from rolling them throughout the movie. And Precious is the kind of movie I just don't want to see. Serious is one thing, but soul crushingly depressing is not my cup of tea.

Right now, it looks like these are locks:

Supporting Actress - Mo'nique
Animated - Up
Supporting Actor - Christoph Waltz
Best Costume Design - Young Victoria

And congrats to Carey Mulligan, she was the only reason to see An Education.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jay E

I've only seen five of the nominees for Best Picture (Avatar, Blindside, Inglourious Basterds, Up & District 9). I'll be rooting for IB. That film has stayed with me in much the same way Doubt did a year or so ago. An exciting piece of filmmaking!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
IG was the best film of the year for me, but Best Picture is between The Hurt Locker and Avatar. The Director race is the same.

Oh, and White Ribbon is a lock for Best Foreign Language film.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

And Precious is the kind of movie I just don't want to see. Serious is one thing, but soul crushingly depressing is not my cup of tea.
Then you do want to skip Precious because "soul crushingly depressing" is a good description of it. Mo'nique and Sidibe are both excellent in it though.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

IG was the best film of the year for me, but Best Picture is between The Hurt Locker and Avatar. The Director race is the same.

Oh, and White Ribbon is a lock for Best Foreign Language film.
I think Bigelow is pretty much a lock for Best Director. She's won every precursor award except the Golden Globe. Plus, I think the female vote is going to be strong for her (especially because of the whole "cheating spouse" issue). I agree that the Best Picture could still go either way.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I would consider Bigelow the "favorite", but not a "lock" for Best Director. Whereas Mo'Nique, Waltz, Up, and White Ribbon are practically unchallenged in their categories.

And while I felt Ponyo was better than Up in every way, The Princess and the Frog getting the nod over Ponyo is criminal. TPATF is a commercial for the Disney Princesses line, not really any different from formulaic, inspirational, promotional dreck like the My Little Pony or Care Bears movie. And whoever relied on Randy Newman to write memorable songs for it should be fired. By God, they all sound the same, the same variations on the "You've Got a Friend in Me" that gave rise to "I Love to See You Smile" (although I'm not sure which came first or if they're even different songs). They probably got Randy to get an Oscar nom or two.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

I've only seen five of the nominees for Best Picture (Avatar, Blindside, Inglourious Basterds, Up & District 9). I'll be rooting for IB. That film has stayed with me in much the same way Doubt did a year or so ago. An exciting piece of filmmaking!
You should see The Hurt Locker.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I didn't find The Hurt Locker all that tense or exciting, actually. I think it might be one of those movies that plays much better on the big screen than it did on DVD.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I didn;t think Hurt was all that exciting but felt it was very tense and it stayed with me after I was done watching it.
You don't think watching and waiting with these bomb experts was tense?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
My issue with Hurt Locker is that it was so much about the tension that it was easy to not notice that there wasn't a lot of stuff going on otherwise. There was no overriding story, just a bunch of tense set pieces strung together by the characters. Nothing about the movie really stayed with me, and I have no itch to watch it again.

The best thing about the movie for me was the apparent sense of verisimilitude, but according to those in the know, it was not that great of a recreation of Baghdad (it was obviously filmed in Jordan if you were aware of these things). For some reason, that kind of ruined it for me since it felt like the movie was taking advantage of my ignorance. Sort of like if you loved Gladiator for it's recreation of Roman history only to find it was grossly historically inaccurate.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well I had to look up that word, never saw it before.
Were a movie is filmed doesn't really mean anything to me because almost all of them are either on a sound stage or cgi, so what's the difference or maybe I still don't understand your point (the word).

zackscott5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Zack Scott
I'm really surprisd that (500) Days of Summer didn't get the best original Screenplay nomination. However I am very happy that District 9 got as many nominatons as it did. As far as STar trek for Best visual effects, I'm very happ what with the use of practical effects more than CGI. (even though Avatar will win in that category) Honsty I am vry excited with this list of Nominee, something I havent been in a long time.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

I suppose it might have been better--if a change needed to be made--to do what other awards have done and come up with a drama/action group and a comedy/musical group.
I totally disagree. The Globes had to reach to nominate The Proposal of all things. And Nine, which didn't deserve one of these 10 spots (and thankfully didn't get one). Why place restriction based on genre?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Tony, it's all a bit irrational, but I was blown away by Bigelow's depiction of Baghdad and assumed it was a really dead on recreation. But then I read there were a bunch of things that were inaccurate, and it made me less appreciative of the effort. I understand that pretty much all movie are synthetic in some way, but when a movie is trading on its verisimilitude, all those little details matter more, and when they're off, it loses a gold star or two. As an analogy, I semi-enjoyed Cadillac records, but when I found out how divergent it was from history (it was "based on the characters" and not on the history), I liked it even less. Because it had this air of, "and this shit is real!", but it wasn't. And while HL isn't as egregiously off, it lost some luster in my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks