What's new

Official Academy Awards Nominations 2010 Thread (Announced) (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
It is ironic that they increased the best picture nominations from 5 to 10 to let in some films that the tv viewers have actually watched and enjoyed and the big winner was the least-seen film in Oscars history.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
17 right out of 24. Not too bad. 20 out of 24 last year.

I thought Baldwin and Martin were great hosts. I felt the show moved along better than in recent years. Loved the John Hughes tribute.

Fun show and for the most part, am happy with all the wins.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I thought that Martin and Baldwin were hilarious and amde for a very entertaining evening, even though there was precious little in the way of surprise awards-wise. When best adapted screenplay and best foreign language film are your only upsets, you know the show is pretty much on autopilot. I'm sure Oscar pools around the country ended up in multiple ties or came down to whomever picked best documentary short correctly.

I love the dance sequence, and compared to lame past efforts to inject dance numbers into the Oscars, this was a fantastic and modern way to get a big production number on the show. LXD wasn't as good here as they were on SYTYCD, but tons of cool stuff thrown in there, and some of the breakdancing was jaw-dropping.

The only thing I skipped was Jeff Bridges interminable acceptance speech, wherein he thanked every person he'd ever met. I almost skipped Michelle Pfeiffer's tribute to Jeff Bridges (when did Michelle Pfeiffer turn into such an agonizingly slow talker?), and in fact all of the best actor tributes went on too long. I was happy that the best actress tributes were far shorter. And the Hughes retrospective was eye-opening for the amount of unknowns whose careers were launched -- yes, Hollywood has passed by most of them now, but they're still household names. I did think it was odd to highlight the line, "When you grow up, your heart dies" considering Hughes died of a massive coronary infarction.

All in all, that was one of the funnier and breezier Oscar telecasts than I can remember, and aside from a couple of slowdowns, it moved along at a nice clip. I laughed more at Martin and Baldwin's opener more than I have in many years.

Here's LXD's performance on SYTYCD:

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Am I the only one that noticed quite a few in the "Horror Montage" weren't Horror at all?
Little Shop of Horrors wasn't a horror film.
Aliens was SciFi, not Horror.

And they must have shown "The Shining" at least six times in that montage

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I really don't agree with her winning Best Director. Best Picture, sure, why not. I don't tend to say things like that over Best Picture winners. I just don't see anything that says "wow this is best direction".

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk

I really don't agree with her winning Best Director. Best Picture, sure, why not. I don't tend to say things like that over Best Picture winners. I just don't see anything that says "wow this is best direction".
Some would say that's the best kind of direction - the kind that doesn't call attention to itself.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo /forum/thread/297692/official-academy-awards-nominations-2010-thread-announced/210#post_3668158

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I myself am puzzled by comments about the show being too "insidery" and "self-congratulatory". It's like watching Lost and complaining that they didn't wrap up the mystery at the end of the episode. Do you not know what the purpose of the show is?

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Well, I still think Up was the best movie of the year. I also think the Best Animated Film category hurt it's chances at getting Best Picture. I'm not saying it would have won but, I think it would have been given more consideration if it was only in the Best Picture category. I just think that the Academy voters gave it the Best Animated Film win and then looked over it for BP. The show was ok for the most part but. There are a few things I wish they'd change. Please get rid of the kiss up speeches before the Actor and actress awards are given out. Thank goodness I had paused the show for a while and could skip past that snore fest. They need to bring back the actual performance of the best song noms, what they did last night was insulting to those folks. For the score cat, I really wish they would just play a score only clip from each movie instead of trying to make it some hip production number. That dance was dumb, how does hoping around represent the scores to those movies? There movements didn't even try to make a connection to the music other then being on beat. I guess those are my biggest gripes.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm not too shocked to see all the hatred being thrown at THE HURT LOCKER this morning from the various forums I've been on. It looks like some people stayed up all night due to their anger of AVATAR losing. I think people can say what they want about THL but I found it extremely impressive what she did to a genre that has been around since the 1890s. People stay away from a lot of war movies because they feel they've seen it all but to me THL worked because it was so fresh and the direction was top-notch. We didn't have to sit through a bunch of political talk on the war and it's a war film that actually showed the dangers of wars unlike so many other films that make it seem like a big party with the troops getting drunk or stone and going out to look for the enemy. I believe it's at 97% over at Rotten but these are critics. I think mainstream America is going to rent/buy the movie because of last night and most will probably walk away bored because this isn't the type of action movie people want.

It's not much different than them wanting watered down crap like THE BLIND SIDE instead of seeing something like PRECIOUS. Again, how anyone could watch these two films and say Bullock was better just blows my mind.

I said earlier that I didn't want the full show for the first time since 1991 but I did turn in for the final 90-minutes. Next year it will probably just be for the final thirty (which I might turn off if they do those bad "he saved the world, rescued nine cats from a burning building..." intros).

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Chris Will

Well, I still think Up was the best movie of the year. I also think the Best Animated Film category hurt it's chances at getting Best Picture. I'm not saying it would have won but, I think it would have been given more consideration if it was only in the Best Picture category.
An animated film stands no chance of winning best picture. A film made substantially by artists working on a computer or a drawing board will not be supported for best picture. That's not my opinion of course. What's on the screen is what counts and if someone had to draw a million pictures to do it, so be it. If it's the best picture, it's the best picture.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I liked the Hurt locker,although alot of Bomb Disposal Guys says the Main Actor's cavelier attitude wouldnever happen in reallife, it would get a lotof People killed.Still it has to be Dramatic or it would not make a good movie. It still conveyed the problem alot of these guys have with coming Home. How do you go grocery shopping after living thru that experience. It's too bad they have to.

Avatar was a good movie although alot could argue we've seen it before with Dances With Wolves, Avatar was just sci fiand scifi Films don't win.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Will

Well, I still think Up was the best movie of the year. I also think the Best Animated Film category hurt it's chances at getting Best Picture. I'm not saying it would have won but, I think it would have been given more consideration if it was only in the Best Picture category. I just think that the Academy voters gave it the Best Animated Film win and then looked over it for BP.
Yeah, pretty much. The Best Animated category was largely created in response to Beauty and the Beast getting nominated and they didn't want any more uppity cartoons taking Best Picture slots from "real movies". I think it's unlikely an animated film will ever win Best Picture so long as the Best Animated category still exists because it's just too easy to hand out those animation Oscars as consolation prizes to movies like Up.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Boring.

My one (long-standing) gripe:

How they presented the Screenplays, Makeup, Cinematography, and (most importantly) Editing nominations.

I get the Solemn Tribunal of Buttsnorkeling for Best Actor and Best Actress. I even understand (though despise) that we play off the Argentinean winners of Best Foreign Film after 45 seconds, but the actors can talk forever. 90% of the viewers only care about stars and dresses. I get that. But here I thought the Oscars were occasionally about the medium. And how did they present those awards? By basically demeaning or compartmentalizing what those craftsmen and artists do, pretending it’s all about the actors. At least Stiller made a snide crack about it, admitting how a-holeish it is.

Here is the irony. Of every discipline brought to bear, only one is uniquely cinematic. Only one discipline defines filmmaking. And they let Tyler Perry (who is a director and knows better) completely shortsell it. Editing is filmmaking. Everything else is a borrowed discipline.

[Lovitz]ACTING![/Lovitz}

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Chuck,

I totally agree that editing is severely overlooked. As an actor, I know the performance is created by the editor. An actor just provides pieces for them to put together...sort of like Lego.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks