What's new

Official Academy Awards Nominations 2010 Thread (Announced) (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
She would have gotten my vote but I too think there was a little bit more behind it. Why? Who has actually seen THE HURT LOCKER?

Hopefully more people will check the film out. It's amazing that AVATAR has made $700-million more at the box office.

**I'm somewhat expecting AVATAR to win because the Academy loves epics.
**Edit: Wow. Didn't see that one coming.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
THL is the lowest grossing Best Picture winner with $13 million, and probably has the lowest re-watch value amongst the nominated films too. Heh.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott

She would have gotten my vote but I too think there was a little bit more behind it. Why? Who has actually seen THE HURT LOCKER?

I didn't realize that to be voted Best Picture the film actually has to be seen by a lot of people. I would guess that the ones that count did see it.

Edit: I also didn't realize that it had to make a lot of money either

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Originally Posted by Edwin-S

I didn't realize that to be voted Best Picture the film actually has to be seen by a lot of people. I would guess that the ones that count did see it.

Edit: I also didn't realize that it had to make a lot of money either

That's right. It's the same voters who picked SHAKES over SAVING PRIVATE RYAN.

No one said a film had to make money to win but I do find it odd that no one was really talking about this film until a month ago. I don't buy into the fact that awards can be bought but I do question how many of the 6000 voters actually saw it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Best Picture was my only major disappointment tonight. The rest, even when I didn't agree the choice, had a credible claim to the victory. I don't think Katherine Bygelow[sic]'s gender had anything to do with her victory, Barbra Streisand's grandstanding not withstanding. I thought it was a well-directed picture. But of the six best picture nominees I've seen, it's fifth on my list.

Let's face it, fifty years from now Avatar is going to be the 2010 movie in the history books. I wonder if The Hurt Locker producer Nicolas Chartier's campaign to get voters to rank his picture first and Avatar last had any effect on the result.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The Hurt Locker wasn't bad, but I also think it may be one of the least re-watchable films nominated. Really, for all the praise of the screen play as far as I was concerned nothing happened. It was one of those films I just said "hmm."

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Best Picture was my only major disappointment tonight.
I personally didn't think Avatar was deserving of Best Picture. Sure it was visually groundbreaking, but I found the story/characters to be an eye-roll fest. 2001 didn't win, Jaws didn't win, Star Wars didn't win. So I don't see why many people seemed to think Avatar was a lock. I didn't see THL so I can't say if it's any better, but for example, I considered "Up" infinitely more engaging and touching story-wise than Avatar.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mattCR

The Hurt Locker wasn't bad, but I also think it may be one of the least re-watchable films nominated. Really, for all the praise of the screen play as far as I was concerned nothing happened. It was one of those films I just said "hmm."
That was my point as well, THL just doesn't have much re-watch value, but on a first viewing, the tension is riveting, but not on the second viewing, and typically it's a character's arc that makes subsequent viewing sustainable, but THL wasn't much on character development. It was either boom or no boom.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Originally Posted by WillG /forum/thread/297692/official-academy-awards-nominations-2010-thread-announced/150#post_3668028

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott Well, you gotta point there. I can't quite figure how "Avatar" deserved to win "Best Cinematography", considering how much CGI was used to create Pandora. I also don't get how "The Hurt Locker" screenplay could actually be considered more original than Tarantino's "Inglourious Basterds". Also THL won sound editing, sound mixing and film editing? I didn't hear or see anything that really set THL apart in those categories, with the exception of that first blast in the opening sequence.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

Let's face it, fifty years from now Avatar is going to be the 2010 movie in the history books. I wonder if The Hurt Locker producer Nicolas Chartier's campaign to get voters to rank his picture first and Avatar last had any effect on the result.

I doubt it. To me, the only reason Avatar will be remembered is because of its overtaking of Titanic as the all time box office champ.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I can't quite figure how "Avatar" deserved to win "Best Cinematography", considering how much CGI was used to create Pandora.
If you haven't seen any of the behind-the-scenes stuff about how the film was made, you should and maybe you'll have an answer to that.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by WillG

I personally didn't think Avatar was deserving of Best Picture. Sure it was visually groundbreaking, but I found the story/characters to be an eye-roll fest. 2001 didn't win, Jaws didn't win, Star Wars didn't win. So I don't consider Avatar not winning a huge upset.

And do we really remember Oliver! more than 2001? I disagree with the Jaws and Star Wars examples: The Hurt Locker is no One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, nor is it an Annie Hall. Some years are hard to pick one out from the pack because multiple films achieve something that will be remembered for years to come. Avatar should have won under the Titanic precedent.

As I said, though, otherwise I was pretty happy with the results. I think Anna Kendrick deserved Best Supporting Actress from the performances I'd seen, and Mo'Nique's reprimanding and nasty acceptance speech certainly didn't ingratiate me to her cause. But I haven't seen Precious so for all I know the best actress won. Would have loved to see Bruno Delbonnel's win for his wonderful and unconventional cinematography for the sixth Harry Potter film, but can't really argue with Mauro Fiore's win for his stellar work on Avatar. I was happy to see makeup go to Star Trek and particularly happy to see Michael Giacchino recognized for Up, my favorite score of the year. Really disappointed that we didn't get to see a performance of the Best Song nominees (had to leave room for the Best Actor/Actress ego stroking tributes!), but happy "Weary Kind" took home the statuette. Avatar was the only possible choice for Visual Effects.

I would love to see a back to basics format next year: dump all of the extraneous crap, bring back the Best Song Performances, bring back the lifetime achievement awards, dump the Bruce Vilanch presenter "comedy" bits, and just chug through the awards. Leave the extra time so that the down ballot candidates have time to complete their acceptance speeches (since only the acting winners never seem to get cut off in the current iteration).

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
No matter which one won Best Picture, both were doomed because of the backlash that's going to follow.

THE HURT LOCKER is already being attacked for that whole producer thing. It's being attacked for being a political move and it's being attacked because the Academy wanted a woman to get BD and BP. I've heard a few throw the claim out there that Hollywood wanted to "crush" Mr. Moneyman Cameron and reward the small picture.

AVATAR, had it won, would have been attacked because it was too Hollywood, full of CGI and made so much money. It would have been attacked for being a "fanboy" movie or that they were making up for THE DARK KNIGHT being overlooked last year.

Both films were #1 and #2 for me so it didn't really matter to me which one won. I think it's better that THL won so that more people will check it out but I'm sure the AVATAR crowd will be louder and stronger to the point that THL is going to become ORDINARY PEOPLE.

D

DAN NEIR

Don't know if this was mentioned but I noticed a few glaring ommissions in the in memorium segment, Farrah Fawcet, Bea Arthur and Ricardo Montalban

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have to give Avatar credit for being cutting edge and a visual spectacle, but I always thought The Hurt Locker was a better film in my opinion.

Crawdaddy

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

Also THL won sound editing, sound mixing and film editing? I didn't hear or see anything that really set THL apart in those categories, with the exception of that first blast in the opening sequence.

Even though I didn't think The Hurt Locker was Best Picture material, the sound editing and especially sound mixing awards were richly deserved. Every time the bomb disposal team is out on the streets, 70 percent of what we're experiencing is the sound. The sound work was subtle but incredibly effective at putting us inside the bubble with SFC William James. Bigelow's paranoid filming style left us keenly aware that the slightest, seemingly mundane detail out of place could be the difference between life and death and the sound guys' work played a huge role in telling the story through the street noises (or, ominously, lack of street noises).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks