What's new

*** Official 9th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

I certainly agree with you here. To me this is one of the most entertaining and fun movies out there. I'm not sure why so people take it so serious and to the point where they end up not liking the film.

I watched HATCHET earlier in the year and agree that it was a fun throwback and gory as hell. A very good movie for those who want gore.

As in previous years, new viewings are in BOLD.

Frankenstein (1910) :star::star::star: J. Searle Dawley

Edison's version of the classic novel remains pretty strong after all these years even if the print is pretty worn. What really stands out is how the entire story fits in quite nicely during the ten minute running time. A lot of the Edison shorts from this period don't contain too much on a story but this film tries to deliver something a little bit more. Also worth mentioning are the special effects, which while not as good as Melies, still manages to be somewhat creepy.

Teenage Zombies (1959) BOMB Jerry Warren

Four stupid teenagers head to an island, which apparently no one knows about and once there they run into a female scientist who is trying to create zombies to use them as slaves so that she can take over the world or something to that effect. Whenever you see Jerry Warren's name pop up on screen then you know you're going to be in for something bad. I had forgotten how truly awful this film was but by the time I finished it there was no question that this is one of the biggest turkey's in the history of cinema. I'm really not sure where to start on this film because there really isn't a single scene or even second that's worth of any positive comments. One of the many annoying things is that Warren only uses a couple close ups throughout the movie and the rest are master shots. This makes the film seem like something from the early 1900s and I might even say those early days of filmmaking had more style than this. The acting is beyond bad and it doesn't help that these master shots lets the cast just run around the frame without knowing what they are suppose to do. A lot of the film appears to have been shot silent, which means we get a lot of annoying dubbing, which doesn't help matters. There's been some debate about whether or not zombies actually turn up and I think they do for two or three seconds but you have to wonder why you'd make a movie called Teenage Zombies and then not show them too often. Oh yeah, this is a Warren film.

Spooks Run Wild (1941) :star:1/2 Phil Rosen

The East Side Kids get stranded in a small town and end up in an old house where they run into the creepy Bela Lugosi and his midget assistant. This horror-comedy is short on horror and even shorter on laughs and that makes this one of the weaker films in Lugosi's "B" career. Lugosi does manage to be the best thing in the movie and gets the highlight during a scene where he gets freaked out at a skeleton returning to seek vengeance on him. His great scream has been shown in countless documentaries and this scene is a lot of fun. The rest of the film is incredibly dull and lifeless however. The biggest problem are the actual "kids" who really don't get too much to do. I'm rather hit and miss on this era of their career but they do have some nice films in this period but this isn't one of them. The horror elements never work either even with Lugosi in the cast. Both Lugosi and the kids would fair better on their next teaming.

1. Frankenstein (1910)
2. Teenage Zombies (1959)
3. Spooks Run Wild (1941)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Pete,

Wow, that's quite a lot for the first day! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jason,

I might get to watch one or two of the Phibes films myself during the month.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Michael,

Yeah, I really can't get enough of this one. I think the only thing that I had solidified before Oct. 1st arrived was which film I was going to watch first. ;)

Updated list:

1. Films:

House On Haunted Hill (1959) :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Television episodes:

1. Dark Shadows (Original series) (episodes nos. 19 and 20) (1966) :star: :star: :star: 1/2

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I'm far from a horror aficionado, so I'll have the pleasure of viewing a lot of horror staples for the first time. Everything is a first time viewing unless noted otherwise.

Oct. 1
The Brides of Dracula, 1960; 50%
The opening cinematography around the lake is fantastic and spooky as hell. The rest of the film is great to look at as well, but has the colorful stage lighting of the time that shelters it from reality. Marianne wasn't much of an actress. Andree Melly looks like my Mom.

The Horror of Dracula, 1958; 60%
The story here was a step up from 'Brides, though that seems fitting given it's source material. Still, it deviated more than I had expected, something I wouldn't have minded had it not felt so Draculaless.

Photography here is even better than 'Brides, and I find it cool that having seen barely a frame of these Hammer films before, their look matches so closely to the ideal “horror” aesthetic I hold in my mind.

Dracula has amazing hand writing. Unbelievably good hand writing.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
You have to respect a person who is able to watch 9 hours worth of movies in a 6 hour time span --Shakespeare I believe

She-Wolf of London (1946) :star: Jean Yarbrough

Extremely bad Universal flick about a small town who falls victim of various werewolf attacks and the young woman (June Lockhart) who thinks she might be the monster. There are a handful of really bad horror films from Universal and this here is certainly one of them, although I'm not sure I'd call it the very worst. The biggest problem with this film is that it's a complete rip as nothing much happens except for various police talking and thinking about what or who is responsible for the murders. The performances are all bland at the very least and Lockhart might be cute but she certainly can't act. At times it seems like she's playing a five-year-old kid instead of a woman in her 20's because of her performance, which is all over the place. I won't spoil the film for anyone but the twist at the end is just downright stupid and really makes the entire film pointless. This is the type of film that you stick it out with because you think something is bound to happen yet it never does.

1. Frankenstein (1910)
2. Teenage Zombies (1959)
3. Spooks Run Wild (1941)
4. She-Wolf of London (1946)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm planning taking it relatively easy this year (no 100 movie insanity for me this time) but I plan on aiming for around 50 titles.

I kicked off my challenge with two Val Lewton classics. Cat People (1942) is one of my favorite Lewton movies and a true classic. Since it didn't copy the first movie over, Curse Of The Cat People is a ballsy sequel and a very good movie but I have to admit that I would have liked seeing a little more Cat People creepiness.

My list (new titles in bold)
1. Cat People (1942)
2. Curse Of The Cat People
3. The Midnight Meat Train
4. The Leopard Man
5. I Walked With A Zombie
6. The Body Snatcher
7. 976-EVIL

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
LOL! nice work Michael Elliot, it wouldn't be a challenge without you starting off running with a bunch or real shit sandwich horror films, I love it! It makes me feel good since I got a bunch of them lined up if I get to them! :D

I agree with HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL. I remember renting it ages ago expecting a goof, and it was hell of a movie!

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for HATCHET, sounds great! this is the problem with the challenge, I was quite pleased this morning watching a hammer film, and knowing I got some itallian classics and 50's goodness all stacked up. now you guys are posting movies and I'm all "I wanna see that!" XD

Famous last words... we'll see what happens in a week when the obsession sets in. :P

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Ok, my first movie comes from the wonderful world of NetFlix...
The big pile of crap called...

Jeckyll and Hyde, Together Again!

Damn, i saw this movie 25 or more years ago, and i LOVED it! But its bad, i mean really bad. Jeez the sex jokes are PG, the drug jokes are worse than anything Cheech and Chong did when they achieved brain death.
The only thing i can think of as to why i liked it...i was 18 or 19, and cable was still new. You didnt see sex jokes and stuff on TV, and when your a kid its all extra funny when its "wrong".

Zero out of Five stars!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Travis,

Agreed on Curse Of the Cat People. :emoji_thumbsup:

I've never seen Cat People; but years ago, I saw the Curse Of the Cat People and really enjoyed it. The 'dream world' created by the child is intriguing. I remember seeing the title for this film years ago, and thought it might have to do with cats and curses. It ended up being nothing like I thought it would be, and was really quite good. It might be good to pick this one up some day.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Deranged (1974) :star::star:1/2

I had never heard of this but bought it cheap as a double feature with Motel Hell (which I'm really looking forward to). Roberts Blossom is the best thing here; it's watchable and has some good eerie moments, but it's a bit too campy, all the other acting is amateurish, and that goofy narrator keeps pulling you out of the movie.

10/01 (1) Deranged :star::star:1/2

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
01 The Exorcist (1973) :star: :star: :star: :star: 1/2

When I think of horror movies I'm always reminded of this one. Being raised a Catholic and attending Catholic school from kindergarten to Gr. 13 you can imagine this one made quite an impression. I was in my late teens when I went to see this movie with my boyfriend. At that time there was alot of rumours surrounding this film, true or not I don't know. There was stories of people fainting, throwing up etc. Back then this was pretty shocking stuff. Both my bf and I were freaked, he more so since I had the benefit of reading the book. Still even having read the book, some of the scenes were still shocking. Though this movie bothered me for a few days afterwards, for me it's the essence of an effective horror film. Even today movies of this kind scare me, even though I remain fascinated.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I prefer Curse of the Cat People myself as the film blending of reality/fantasy with the child's POV works fantastically. Of course I really enjoy Cat People as well, but more for the sexual aspects of the story than as a horror/suspense flick.

I'll put first time viewings in blood red

1. The War of the Gargantuas (1966)
Toho monster fun in which a green furry monster who lives in the sea because of an aversion to light starts smashing ships and them comes ashore for some model city mashing mayhem. He's eventually opposed by his genetic brother, equally furry, but brown and with a gentler disposition. Meanwhile scientist Russ Tamblyn scrambles around adjusting his jacket while military guys bark orders and shoot stuff at the monsters.

This is pretty good stuff and a cut above a lot of the monster flicks the Japanese studios were churning out at this time. It's pretty lively the whole way through with a lot of action and not too much downtime. There is no Japanese family or cute kids and with Russ Tamblyn holding court, the "downtime" scenes are much less groan-worthy. He had the biggest laugh of the film for me in a scene where he's chasing after his cute female assistant and adjusts his sport coat at least three times while running! There's also this rooftop nightclub scene with this awful singer belting out "The Words Get Stuck in My Throat" the lyrics of which have to be heard to be believed. But anyway, it's pretty much just action, scientists doing science stuff, a few press conferences, and the requisite military preparing to unload on the monster scenes. The actual monster vs. monster stuff is a little light, and these monsters don't have the personality of the Godzilla flicks, still it's definitely a satisfying film. - B

2. Lost Boys: The Tribe (2008)
An orphaned brother and sister arrive in a California beach town, rent a shack from their aunt, and quickly become introduced to the local vampire scene in this sequel/re-imagining of the 80's original most of us have seen many times. Corey Feldman reprises his role from the original, now grown, he's a "surfboard shaper" whatever that is, but he still hunts vamps and likes comics.

This was actually not nearly as horrible as I expected it to be. It is a fairly by-the-numbers script, you don't ever care about the brother/sister main characters, the baddies have none of the personality of the originals, all the attempts at comedy are terrible (with the script oddly making 2 Big Lebowski references) and the soundtrack is beyond weak in comparison to the original (including a lame cover version of "Cry Little Sister"), yet I still found it watchable. The gore effects and the vampire death fx are good (Greg Nicotero was a "production consultant) and the gore is plentiful and not filmed so you can't see it. There's a healthy amount of nudity and the sex scenes aren't bad, especially the vamp in a red bikini. The director has a pretty good eye and there's some interesting camera work. Plus there's a Tom Savini cameo which is fun. (Corey Haim has one after the credits role which is just dumb, though the part is expanded a bit in the alternate endings included on the DVD)...Final verdict, Lost Boys: The Tribe, not a complete waste of time. - C+

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
10/01

Chamber of Horrors (1966) :star::star:1/2
Dull for most of its running time, though it has its moments and things do perk up later and the climax isn't bad. It's about a crazed criminal in Victorian times (Patrick O'Neal) who is condemned and escapes, losing a hand in the process. Then he returns with a variety of different detachable gadgets (a hook, a cleaver, a knife, etc.) to place onto his limb to achieve his revenge. He enlists the aid of a prostitute (Laura Devon) to help him in his plan. Wayne Rogers (later of M.A.S.H fame) seems completely out of place here, and so does Miss Devon who's awkward in her part. I bought this as a 'semi' blind-buy, because I remember seeing this in prime time when I was a little kid around 1970 and thinking it was sooooooo sick and depraved (way before FRIDAY THE 13th came along). Of course, these days it turned out to be weak tea and a disappointment. Just goes to show you that the mind is a powerful thing and a very old recollection can often trick you. I did have fun with the "Fear Flasher" gimmick, reminiscent of William Castle.

THE MUNSTERS: "Munster Masquerade"
THE MUNSTERS: "My Fair Munster"

FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE SERIES: "The Inheritance"
FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE SERIES: "The Poison Pen"

2008 SCARY MOVIE CHALLENGE
01) Chamber of Horrors (1966) **1/2

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Some of you mentioned HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL, and this was always fun when I was a child and it turned up regularly on my local "Creature Features" channel on Saturday Night. The bit with the old woman never failed to cause a jolt. Those were good times, when these movies played on TV.

Just a few years ago there was a William Castle festival at the Film Forum in NYC, and HOUSE played there, complete with the skeleton gimmick.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Because I bore so easily, this year I will be using custom ratings for fun.
Horrific...This is the top dog
Spatterific...Perhaps not the best film, but fun and watchable
Kind of wish I'd took a nap...Not exactly horrible
There's 2 hours I'll never get back....not much redeeming value here
At least I saw boobs...yep, I'm pretty shallow
Crap on a stick...the lowest of the low

Lost Boys: The Tribe (2008)
P.J. Pesce

I started off last year with the original Lost Boys, so it just seemed fitting to get going with this one. And I wish I had something new to add, but Brook has pretty much summed it up nice and neat. I won't go into detail, but part of me wonders would the film have been better with the storyline hinted at in the alternate ending.

At least I saw boobs

Captivity (2007)
Roland Joffé

I remember there being some controversy about this title (though to be honest, I don't remember what said controversy was) and decided to go with it. Basically, a model gets kidnapped and held captive, and is forced to endure torture, physical and mental. If you're into people being force fed other peoples eyes and ears (blended up in a nice and fruity beverage) then this is your movie. But for me (and perhaps it's fallout from too many Saws and Hostels) but this "type" of film is just played out. The "twist" was far too obvious, I didn't give shit one about either of the captives, and the several "we pass out with the victim" fade-outs became downright annoying.

There's 2 hours I'll never get back

Undead or Alive (2007)
Glasgow Phillips

This is one my own father told me I had to watch. Set in the old west, Geronimo unleashes the zombie plague upon the white folk. Zombie mayhem ensues. The film stars Chris Kattan.....still interested? His horse in named Frisky...still reading? I had chicken for dinner last night, and then I had some delicious pecan cookies later. Trust me, that's far more interesting than anything about this movie. Dad, you suck.

Crap on a stick

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Joe,

Regarding House On Haunted Hill, I originally put the wrong date for it--I'm almost certain I was thinking of the date for the film I am going to be viewing next (The Fly). Last night, as I was going to bed, I realized the mistake, and thought for sure it would be caught this morning. There is no 1958 version of the film as far as I am aware. I've changed that date to 1959.

I love your reference to the "Creature Features" channel. Creature Feature (and later, Creature Double Feature) were staples of my childhood viewing. :emoji_thumbsup:

I would have loved to have seen the skeleton gimmick! Thanks for sharing.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I may have mentioned this before, but when I was babysitting many, many years ago for my neighbor, I noticed a book that she and her husband had left out on the coffee table. It was W. P. Blatty's The Exorcist. I was fifteen at the time, and read much of the book that evening. That was a dumb thing to do. It remains one of the most frightening (and vivid in its description of events) books I've ever read. One of the aspects of the book I seem to recall that left quite an impression on me was when the furniture in Regan's room had been moved slightly. I don't recall this showing up in the film. But to have a bed, or a desk, moved three or four inches (and to have Regan's mother notice it and yet not have any idea why it occurred) resonated quite a lot with me.

I recently watched the film (a few months ago) with my fourteen year old daughter. She had been wanting to see it for two years(!). I ended up taping it one night off of the television and watching it with her a few days later. I couldn't risk watching the unedited version with her. She said the film was quite chilling, and described it as 'awesome.' ;)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
DAY ONE -- Wednesday, October 1, 2008

1. Friday the 13th - Part 1. (1980)
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/b/b7/htf_imgcache_34960.jpeg] [/url]
If there was a line of Camp Crystal Lake bottled water in stores I don't think it would be very refreshing. Even if there was a pina coloda flavor.

One of many that encapsulate why I bother with these marathons at all. No need to argue if the thing is scary or even a good film. I'm reminded every year what a weird euphoric feeling I get as a side effect of subjecting myself to it. I really felt so "renewed" once the credits rolled, I knew I picked the right Horror-thon starter!! Some background with me and this one: I was 13 when this came out. It represents the #1 film that scared me to death, sight unseen. It probably isn't too far from the truth that if I had watched this when I was 13 I would have died a splattery, bloody (chunks of guts, skin, hair and eyeballs flying around) horrible death while hiding under my Star Wars bed sheets. So....luckily I waited! Over time, that petrified fear changed to euphoria. Weird, eh? I changed into that cute would-be Camp Crystal Lake cook before she meets up with you-know-who. Just smiling like a Rev. Moonie! :D

Horrorthon success level of film (1-10): 10

2. Deranged. (1974)
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/c/cc/htf_imgcache_34961.jpeg] [/url]
"Face lift": psycho style!

Filmmakers today think they know exactly how to make a good uncomfortable horror film...but most could take lessons from this little b-movie gem. Over it's 1:20 running time it goes from hilarious to crazy-sick to WTF to downright frightening! You'll never feel like you're watching anything but a b-movie. But if you're lucky you'll be taken to a level of fright most horror films of today can't touch and a feeling that this whole story could happen exactly like it does in the movie. And indeed, this is Psycho how it really did happen with only with no embellishments and "the names of the people and places changed to protect the innocent". After the death of his mother, a lonely farmer "builds" some friendships that he hopes will last forever...robbing graves of "parts" in the process. If he'd left it at that then he'd just be a loony (or the narrator called him "a ghoul"! That part sounds neat! The life of a ghoul....the mind wonders). But Ezra Cobb (based on a real guy named Ed Gein...pronounced "geen") is more creative than that and has a LOT of time on his hands. He goes over "the edge" (and all the way down into the valley). It's a wild ride with a worthy actor in the main role. This is one of 2 Gein flicks I'll be watching this year. I've never seen the other one...more on it later.

Horror-thon success level: 10

3. The House that Dripped Blood. (1970)
***this one is NEW TO ME***
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/b/ba/htf_imgcache_34962.jpeg] [/url]
...and it costs so much to have the plumber come in. :frowning:

Christopher Lee's head on a platter, there.
That scene isn't actually in the film like on the poster...different famous head is served instead. I guess Lee got people in the theater seats better. Amicus Productions followed Hammer's lead and made a whole bunch of easily accessable British films for horror buffs like us. Each consisted of compact little stories strung together so you'd find at least one you like. Often there are 1 or 2 stories that really work well. I particularly liked the one about the jaded horror movie actor who wants to recapture a little more realism in the horror films "of today". He does! :D I hope many people approach these like I do...there are some easy-going moments when not a lot is happening and I'm left just enjoying the scenery of the movie. I found those moments extremely nostalgic and a good reminder of those late night horror movie shows that TV used to have. I bought a stack of these Amicus films and after watching this one I plan the buy the rest today. Yep, a hell of a great time! I can't get enough of these now....

Horror-thon success level: 10

4. Clownhouse. (1990)
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/9/9b/htf_imgcache_34963.jpeg] [/url]
Boy, I wish I could see the 2 youngsters on the right as the sensitive types the movie seems to want me to. It would be soooo much better..nostalgic as anything I'd watch this month. :frowning: But the director had some sick intentions that negate every strong moment this thing presents.

At this point I'll try resisting the urge to discuss the "relationship" of the director and youngest main actor. Lets talk clown horror movies in general instead...or lack thereof! Why is that? We have this and Killer Klowns from outer space. Oh, and IT, which kind of sucks in movie form. I know I'm not the only one wanting a real good movie about a freaky clown! If someone could do what this one nearly does, and can find the potential of a story like Stephen King's, then we could get rid of all the pent-up waiting for a good clowny fright film. At best, this one looks as if it's trying real hard to get the "brothers growing up together" thing right...and showing how scary clowns can be. But...well, as mentioned above, the director was, erm, doing something else and it's weird to watch this movie knowing what was going on. There's a level a creepiness that isn't fun at all and this has that in every dark corner and erm, crevice. Still, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy this more than last year.

Horror-thon success level: 8

Notes: I had a hell of a first day. Really...one hell of a first day!! I only expected to get in a triple feature by the skin of my teeth but I couldn't stop. Hopefully today (Thurs, Oct 2) will go the same way. Friday I have a doctor's appointment in the morning. I'll try to update everything Saturday between movies so I'm not swamped on Monday.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell

The H stands for HD-DVD viewing and the D stands for standard DVD viewing. I think I'll remove those designations from the reviews going forward and just keep them in the main listing on page 2 which has the symbol legend.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Alright,here's my first entries, I was pretty confident I would crush all of you with staggering 1st day numbers, but I only got 2 in (conked out watching the 3rd, so it well get finished tonight.)

All first timers in chilling BLOOD RED!

10-01-2008

001 X THE UNKNOWN (1956) 3.5/5 - Early Hammer film. A weird radioactive creature that burst from the earths core is reaping havoc trying to get more radiation for reasons unknown. With the first half playing like THE THING, and the second like THE BLOB, you can't really go wrong with this one.

002 DRACULA (1992) 4/5 - Been yonks since I last saw this, I think since it's VHS debut. I always liked it, and it's still up there as far as visuals in my fave Coppola films. It's a bit meandering though in the middle. I was one of the few who thought Keanue Reeves was decent in this, I take it back, he's fucking terrible. Not just the accent, but the whole affected performance. Francis should of used Nick Cage.

Drac was supposed to be my first viewing, but I was able to sneak in "X" at work. I'm hoping to get at least one movie in a day at work.

I'm going to have to sneak a copy of that new LOST BOYS, just for the nostalgia and boobies :P

My running tally is here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...ml#post3439470

I don't know how to make the link pretty :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks