What's new

***Official 4th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge*** (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Re: The Vanishing

One of the best Hitchcock films Hitchcock never made. :)

Since you liked it, I'll recommend William Wyler's The Collector (a film with similar themes). Terence Stamp is very creepy in it...

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Welcome back, all! We wuz gone for 20-some hours. :frowning:

My first update:

The Howling - Thrilled to own this one, and I gotta put together a good review for this DVD. First time I've seen it since I was like 15, and time has been kind to this one. (OK, aside from the "self-help group" jabs; that's a dated concept entirely but within the realm of the movie it still works quite well.) I appreciate that Dante takes his time to set off the payoffs...and that Act III contains some solid kills and some pretty darn amazing FX work. It ain't American Werewolf in London but it's pretty damn good.

Sleepless Nights - Due next month from MTI Home Video...and it saddens me to say that it's pretty bad. The MTI folks are really very nice, and their publicists KNOW that I'll give a cheeseball horror movie a good review IF it's entertaining. This one, for the most part, isn't. It's a grainy, indie, digitally lensed flick that tries to pull of a gothic vampire thang...and delivers mostly a whole lotta tiresome chit-chat punctuated by a handful of bloody attack scenes. Not wretched, but not very good.

I Know What You Did Last Summer - I got really confused when this DVD showed up. I didn't remember it earning a "SE" treatment anytime in the recent past. A bit of research informed me that this is 1/2 of the recent 2-disc set that includes Part 1 (with all the extras from the prior release plus a few new ones) and Part 2 (identical to the previous release). I sneered and clucked when I saw the cover, but I watched the flick (second time visit) last night...and it really isn't that awful. I remember jeering and yawning through it a few years ago, but a second look helped a bit. Visually, it's a fairly impressive-looking little Slasher Lite and there are a few well-timed (if entirely stolen) scares late in the game. Plus a big part of me loves seeing Freddie Prinze and Sarah Michelle get skewered by a giant hook. Is that wrong? Still, not something I'd go out of my to recommend, though worthy of 90-some minutes on a boring Tuesday night.

October List!

* = First-Time Visit

The Howling
Sleepless Nights
I Know What You Did Last Summer

Coming soon: Courtesy of MGM Home Video and Netflix...a series of modern-horror-sequel double features that I'd NEVER rent were it not for my participation in this thread. :D Who can guess the movies?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Here's my first update.

Day of the Dead - I love this film more every time I watch it. Some of the best Tom Savini gore coupled with good social commentary make this one hell of a horror movie. Thanks to Anchor Bay for the new SE (aside from dubbing probs :))

The Hills Have Eyes - This was one of the few Wes Craven flicks that I hadn't seen before...not anymore. I liked the film quite a bit, but when compared with Last House on the Left, I wasn't nearly as scared. The inbred cannibals (haha) in THHE came off a little too funny and not too terrifying, but overall a great entry from one of the kings of horror.

Full List
Day of the Dead
The Hills Have Eyes

Red = First Timer

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I watched The Howling last year for the challenge, it had some moments but I wasn't impressed overall. I need to try and squeeze in The Hills Have Eyes if I can, though it isn't on my list right now.

Play Misty For Me - I was very impressed with Clint Eastwood's directorial debut. He plays a jazz DJ who is stalked by an obsessed fan, played by Jessica Walters in a very strong performance. At first he's more than happy to take advantage of a little groupie action but when she begins to show up unannounced and tries to monopolize his attention and spoil his relationship with the woman he does love, he's ready to give her the heave ho. However, even though we know this will come to no good, Clint just can't resist her sexually. When he does finally show some backbone, she resorts to suicide attempts and violence. Not even the future Grandma Huxtable is safe.

I thought this was an excellent psychological thriller and better than any of the more recent stalker-type films. Eastwood's strong visual sense was right there from day 1 and this film displays giallo-like qualities in some of the horror oriented scenes and compositions. It brought to mind Argento films like Deep Red and Tenebre. But aside from the horror aspects, Eastwood incorporates the natural beauty of Carmel, CA to create a visual contrast to the darkness and blood by showing bright woodland areas and gorgeous coastal landscapes. The score displays this same contrast, with suspense type scoring and plenty of jazz on the soundtrack, including a trip to the Monterrey jazz festival with a live performance and a much different version of "Hand Jive" from the one I'm so used to hearing from Grease.

This was a low budget film, and it shows at times. Eastwood would have more polished scripts and higher quality supporting actors in later films, but he was clearly a talented director from the very beginning.

October List: (* First time viewing)
Play Misty For Me *
The Vanishing *

Up Next: The Legend Of Hell House

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I'm baaaack! So far, I've watched 18 horror films for this year's challenge. Titles in blue type are first-time viewings:

1. THE QUEEN OF SPADES (1949-British) watched 10/01/03 Impressive film with another good Anton Walbrook performance. The horror element takes a back seat to some romance and intrigue, but then comes back like gangbusters. Strange that this film is largely unknown in the USA, considering its high quality.

2. BLACK CHRISTMAS (1974-Canadian) watched 10/01/03 A fine precursor to HALLOWEEN and the rest of the late-1970s/early-1980s "killer-on-the-loose" films. Some positive reviews on this board (and others) persuaded me to do a blind DVD buy of this flick, and I wasn't disappointed.

3. THE GHOUL (1933-British) watched 10/02/03 A great cast (Cedric Hardwicke, Ralph Richardson, Ernest Thesiger) in a second-tier Boris Karloff film. A retread of THE MUMMY, with a dash of THE OLD DARK HOUSE thrown in, it is a polished production, but is lacking the "oomph" of the best 1930s horror films. Still, it was reasonably entertaining, and MGM and the BFI have unearthed an astonishingly nice print of this rare (once thought to be lost) film.

4. THE DEVIL COMMANDS (1941) watched 10/02/03 A minor Boris Karloff "mad doctor" vehicle (one of a quartet he made at Columbia in the early 1940s), helmed by future big-time director Edward Dmytryk (MURDER MY SWEET, CROSSFIRE, THE CAINE MUTINY, etc). Karloff tries to cummunicate with his dead wife via a medium (Ann Revere) and several corpses wired up to an elaborate electrical device. Not bad, for a quickie B picture.

5. INVISIBLE INVADERS (1959) watched 10/02/03 John Agar saves the world, when invisible moon-men inhabit the dead and rise up against the living. Plays like a somewhat-more-competently-made Ed Wood film, though is also interesting as a possible semi-inspiration for NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. The zombie make-up is a bit more gruesome than one would expect from a fifties programmer.

6. THE VAMPIRE LOVERS (1970-British) watched 10/03/03 Nude lesbian vampires...what's not to love? Ingrid Pitt, apart from looking great, delivers a decent performance. By and large, I prefer the follow-up film TWINS OF EVIL, but this wasn't bad.

7. FIEND WITHOUT A FACE (1958-British) watched 10/03/03 The only film I saw as a little kid that gave me nightmares. Invisible brain creatures are created that suck out people's brains and spinal cords, like a yolk from an egg. Not a bad little drive-in cheapie, with ambitious (and quite gory) stop-motion animation when the fiends become visible in the film's lively climax.

8. A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (1984) watched 10/03/03 I thought I had caught this on premium cable in its entirety years ago, but it turns out I'd only seen clips of it. Nice to see that Freddy isn't the stand-up comedian he'd become in later installments. However, I was a little surprised at how cheezy this was, considering its reputation. It did introduce surrealism into the teen body count genre, probably central to its success (plus that razor-glove). I was surprised to see a very young Johnny Depp co-star in this; for some reason, I thought he'd made his film debut a bit later on.

9. SPIDER BABY (1964) watched 10/03/03
An early indie black comedy, in the ADDAMS FAMILY vein, but sicker. A few rough edges, but overall a competently-done cult item, with some effective laughs and shocks. Lon Chaney, Jr. nearly seems sober in this!

10. TARANTULA (1955) watched 10/04/03 Not quite as good as THEM, but nonetheless a top-tier giant bug flick. Most of the effects work holds up, the audience-pleasing acromegaly is in full-flower, and John Agar saves the world again (ably assisted by ace pilot Clint Eastwood, packing napalm).

11. THE DEADLY MANTIS (1957) watched 10/04/03 Stock footage galore (plus clips from NANOOK OF THE NORTH!), a bounty of goofy dialogue, stiff lead actors... but its a giant bug movie, and I'm a sucker for the giant mantis marionette.

12. ANATOMY (2000-German) watched 10/04/03 A quite good modern excursion into medical horror (a staple of euro-cult cinema!), starring Franka Potente (RUN LOLA RUN, THE BOURNE IDENTITY, THE PRINCESS & THE WARRIOR). Some unnerving ideas & images. Highly recommended... but avoid the DVD's english-dubbed track!

13. EVENT HORIZON (1997) watched 10/04/03 An interesting idea, supported by a good cast and strong production design/effects work, that is unfortunately torpedoed by script stupidity as we reasch the climax. Too bad. Wasn't boring, though.

****** Phase I of Scary Movie Challenge 2004 completed ******

14. HOUSE OF WAX (1953) watched 10/05/03 I never tire of this flick. Prime Vincent Price action, lovely Phyllis Kirk, Carolyn Jones making the most of a small (but pivotal) role, some successful tongue-in-cheek humor, the immortal "Paddle-Ball Man", the late Charles Bronson as a psychotic mute assistant...it all works like a charm.

15. HALLOWEEN (1978) watched 10/05/03 Still the best of its kind. I wish more modern Hollywood horror/slasher films would build their suspense in the manner that this and BLACK CHRISTMAS did.

16. HALLOWEEN II (1981) watched 10/05/03 Another film I though I had watched years ago, but didn't. Though not quite on the level of the original, this was much better than I had expected. A decent sequel, with the major surviving cast members back, some good suspense, and a satisfying climax.

17. PRINCE OF DARKNESS (1987) watched 10/05/03 I saw this in its original release, and was pretty disappointed. Watching it again, 16 years later, I liked it a bit more (it put me to sleep in the theater), but it still doesn't add up to much. Seems like John Carpenter was trying to achieve a metaphysical horror version of ASSAULT ON PRECINT 13.

18. WILLARD (2003) watched 10/05/03 Reasonably enjoyable remake of the 1971 original, but not entirely successful. A bit overblown in places, whereas the original was more down-to-earth (considering the ludicrous premise both films share). Great casting of Crispin Glover and R. Lee Ermey, impressive production design/cinematography.

I shall return...

RyanPC

Stunt Coordinator
Just got back from the weekend... watched a bunch of movies I got at Wal-Mart for $10 a piece (except for The Tenant, which was $5.88 in the bargain bin), well all except Psycho II and Tombs of the Blind Dead, which I owned before that. :D

Here's my list so far:

1. Psycho II
2. Tombs of the Blind Dead
3. Piranha (much better than the overrated Jaws!! :p))
4. The Brood
5. The Tenant (most likely the creepiest film I've ever seen)
6. They Live

I'll keep you posted whenever I watch something new. :)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Here again with a quick update. With school and job interviews I may not have the time to catch as many flicks this year as I did last year...but I'll keep chuggin' along :)

Full List
1. Day of the Dead
2. The Hills Have Eyes
3. They Live

Red = First Timer

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Hey Dudes,

You're right...I've been "away" for awhile, but the thought crossed my mind that this challenge must continue with or without me. I had a mind to email/PM Mr. Fitzgerald to ask him to take over "hosting" duties, but I hadn't yet gotten around to it.

So, thanks all...I'll try and play a little, although I make no promises...

I'm glad the tradition will continue...

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Black Christmas is another I really need to check out. Queen of Spades sounds interesting too.

I love Spider Baby, but then I'm a Jack Hill/Sid Haig nut. Lon Chaney Jr. was indeed sober during the film. He thought it was the best role he'd received in a long time and he gives an excellent performance. Jack Hill mentions this on the commentary.

The Legend Of Hell House is a run of the mill haunted house film starring Roddy McDowell. It offers some unintentional comedy moments and one of the more out-of-left-field hilarious endings to a horror flick that I've seen, but is a strictly "by-the-numbers" affair.

October List: (* First time viewing)
1. Play Misty For Me *
2. The Vanishing *
3. The Legend Of Hell House *

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Queen of Spades is pretty good - I saw it for the first time awhile back. :emoji_thumbsup:

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
Oooh, horror flicks eh? My favourite guilty pleasure genre. Count me in!

I've watched one horror film already this month so I'm going to count it towards my total. Hell it was even a new discovery -

The Wrong Turn. Ok so it's a bit post scream and it's a little 'hollywood beautiful teens' in places but it's still a suprising amount of fun with some excellent effects both in the soundtrack and visually.

I enjoyed it much much more than I thought I would. Hurraah for the modern horror flick I say!

Greg Black

Second Unit
I didn't participate in the last three challenges for some reason or another, but this is the year! So far I've only watched one horror movie this month, so I've got a long ways to go.

1. Psycho (1960) viewed on 10/01/03
Hitchcock is my favorite director and this is one of his best. Classic. I will definetely have to make time to watch The Birds this month also.

Robin Warren

Second Unit
I am in for this year, sounds fun.

1. Cabin Fever* (2003). Saw this last week. Good fun flick.
2. Irreversible* (2002). Ugh, need a shower after watching this incredible film.
3. Scarface (1983). Have to count this one. There are chainsaw murders, hangings, countless shootings, stabbings, etc. Great movie.
4. Last House on the Left (1972). Watched it last year at this time and this was my second viewing. Did not hold my attention all that well.

Up next will be The Ring, The Thing and I really want to catch Texas Chainsaw (original).

*indicates new viewings

RyanPC

Stunt Coordinator
Scarface (1983). Have to count this one. There are chainsaw murders, hangings, countless shootings, stabbings, etc. Great movie.
Uh, it is a great movie, but I don't think this should count. I watched it yesterday but don't count it since, well, it's not a horror movie. Would you consider The Godfather a horror movie? I think not. Just because there is violence doesn't make it a horror film.

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
So far...
10/2 The Relic
10/3 Resurrection
10/4 Pumpkinhead
10/5 The Prophecy
10/6 Identity*

*first time viewing

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
My Internet connection was out from late Friday to just a little while ago, so i have a pretty large update:

Lord of Illusions- Clive Barker's best film. A brilliantly done horror mystery that is always intriguing, and despite all the talk, is never boring. It also has one of the best horror villains to date, Nix. Stellar and extremely underrated film!

The Initiation- One of my top 5 favorite slashers. This gem is very creepy with chilling music and atmosphere galore. The mall is unlike any I've seen, and is pretty damn creepy. Has a cool unexpected ending.

They Live- Stellar film that is one of Carpenter's best IMO. The story is very unique, and the social commentary in the film is pretty strong. The obvious low budget also works in the films favor, and I actually loved the makeup jobs. Buck Flower steals every scene he's in, you've gotta love him! Wonderful film here!

The Serpent and the Rainbow- One of Craven's "Elite Three", this film is very underrated and overlooked, and that's quite a shame. Bill Pullman is at his best in this film, and the film is full of bizarre and unsettling scenes. A huge favorite fo mine that desereves much more credit than it receives!

Session 9- This film blew me away in 2001, and it just keeps getting better with every viewing! The Danvers mental hospital is one of the most amazing, creepiest places I've ever seen, and they use it to great effect in the film. The film also has great use of sound, and the music is pretty chilling as well. This is one of the few films to ever scare me, and it does so well. The session tapes with the alters are very creepy to me. Brilliant little film here, one of the best in the past several years!

Hellbound: Hellraiser II- The best of the franchise IMO. I love everything that this sequel explores, and Dr. Channard is my favorite of the Cenobites. One of the best sequels ever made IMO!

Burnt Offerings- I bought this blind and just viewed it for the first time the other night. Very nice haunting film with a pretty appropriate setting. The ending is very cool. Not the best haunting film I've seen, but pretty good all the same.

Freaks- Came on TCM last night. It had been a while since I'd last seen it, but it still holds up very well. Pretty disturbing little classic indeed.

I'll be watching more tonight. As it stands, here is my list:

WATCHED

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III
The Night Flier
Lord of Illusions
The Initiation
They live
The Serpent and the Rainbow
Session 9
Hellbound: Hellraiser II
Burnt Offerings
Freaks

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I think I just figured out what the S in Justin_S stands for:

Superlative!

:laugh:

Just messin' with ya, J-man. You're one of the staunchest horror fans at HTF and one can't help but respect that.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, I've got a few to add as well:

Prom Night 3: The Last Kiss and Prom Night 4: Deliver Us From Evil. I mistakenly referred to this as an MGM disc, but it's Artisan. Both Full Frame; that's what confused me. :D

Part 3 tries for broad humor and it makes the flick a little less terrible...but not by much. Part 4 is fine when it gets down to the actual slashing...of which there is very, very little. Nice to see The Dead Zone's Nicole de Boer looking so adorably youthful...and in her panties no less! :) Gawsh she's purty.

Also got to see for the first time ever: Cannibal Ferox. It ain't for kids...or animal lovers. In fact, it's only for that chosen few who love seeing brutal murders and torture re-eancted cheaply and goopily. In that respect it's a success. In nearly every other cinematic regard...bad movie. I could have done without the animal torture though. The hardcore gore stuff looks fake and campy; the animal stuff is just unseemly.
October List!

* = First-Time Visit

The Howling
Sleepless Nights
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Prom Night 3: The Last Kiss*
Prom Night 4: Deliver Us From Evil*
Cannibal Ferox*

Coming up tonight: Another double-feature from Artisan, and old horror flick from 1981 that I remember liking...and Buccaneers vs. Colts. Should be a fun evening.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I watched Nosferatu (1979). Great blending of Nosferatu with the original Dracula novel and Klaus Kinski gives one of the most sympathetic portrayals of Dracula I've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks