1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

*** Official "40 DAYS AND 40 NIGHTS" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Crawford, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for 40 Days and 40 Nights. Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
    All HTF member film reviews of 40 Days and 40 Nights should be posted to the Official Review Thread.
    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
    Crawdaddy

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Well-Known Member

Looks to me like a movie targeting teens involving a lot of seduction and boy fantasy.
    It appears to be a story about a guy (Hartman from Pearl Harbor) who is willing to give up sex and sexual activities for 40 days to cleanse himself when he meets a special someone. His friends then bet and start a pool that he will not last that long in addition to girls finding out about the secret.
    Then girls then try to seduce him because they want to regain their "power".
    My guess is the rest of the story involves the guy struggling for the love of his special girl, losing the bet in the end, but not caring that he lost since he's found love.
    err I'm prob gonna see resident evil instead.. more use of the theatres THX sound. [​IMG]

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Well-Known Member

Malcolm
    Makes you wonder who pitched this movie: "OK, so we have one of today's hot, young, handsome actors, a Josh Hartnett type, and the whole film is about him not having sex."
    I know of a number of guys who could realistically portray a man not having sex and would do so for a much lower salary than they probably paid Hartnett. [​IMG]

4. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Well-Known Member

It's directed by the man who directed Heathers (his name escapes me at the moment), so it has to be decent. [​IMG]

5. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Well-Known Member

6. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Well-Known Member

Take that back again, Meet the Applegates rocks even more ass than Howard the Duck. How can you go wrong with a movie that has Kelly Bundy and the rest of her family turning into freaking huge cockroaches. Witnesst the drama as cockroach Kelly gets knocked up and her brother becomes a roach with a roach of his own after becoming addicted to weed. Great stuff!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. BrettB

BrettB Well-Known Member

8. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Well-Known Member

Good eye, Brett! It should be 3/5 and I'm off to fix that right now!

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Spoilers below:

Is it just me, why was there not any backlash to when the guy's ex-girlfriend rapes him in order to win the money she bet on his "getting off" before his self-imposed 40 days/nights period of celibacy?

Okay movie, but almost immediately forgettable.

10. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Well-Known Member

I saw this film this weekend and thought that it was just a charming little film. I really enjoyed it and I think this is the film that will really let Hartnett break out.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] 1/2

11. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Well-Known Member

It's the perfect chick flick, but made for guys. Let me explain. Girlfriends want to go see it because it has a love story and Josh Hartnett (aww sappy) and guys grumble and say ok we can go. But never fear men there are enough boobies in it to keep you interested.LOL
    [​IMG]
    jay

12. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Well-Known Member

13. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Well-Known Member

It is interesting, though, that rape becomes a non-issue when it's female-on-male. There's no way that a movie could get away with this kind of passivity if it were the other way around. I'm not saying this is a flaw in the film, if anything 40 Days and 40 Nights is one of the few recent romantic comedies that's actually honest in its portrait of gender divide.

Mark

14. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member