1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

*** Official "25TH HOUR" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Robert Crawford, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "25th Hour" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
    All HTF member film reviews of "25th Hour" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.
    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
    Crawdaddy

2. John Randolph

John Randolph Well-Known Member

Can someone (in spoiler text, of course) tell me what happens in the last 30 min. of the movie?

3. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Well-Known Member

I tell you on Friday when the movie opens up here
    if no one hasn't told you by than. How come you want
    to know what happens anyways? why not go see the film
    and find out?

-Mike

4. John Randolph

John Randolph Well-Known Member

I've seen it, but it was longer than I expected, and I had to leave before it was over.

5. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Well-Known Member

Last half hour. Let's see. Tell me where you left off and I'll pick it up from there.

~Edwin

6. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Well-Known Member

Surprised to see no discussion of this. Just saw it last night and still trying to digest it.
    25th Hour has moments of great poetry, particularly the last 10-15 minutes. (I'd describe them, but I'm not sure that they'd make much sense outside of context of the rest of the film. I'll wait until more talk is going on here.)
    The film seems sort of flabby in spots, and I don't think Spike always connects the dots in regard to 9-11. The general sense I got from the film is that Norton's character represents the United States after the terrorist attacks. His world has been shaken, the wounds are fresh and open for all to see, and he is afraid of what the future will bring. (The same also seems to be true of his two friends, who engage in different risky behavior as a way of denial.)
    25th Hour strikes me as a very political film that doesn't get bound up in rhetoric, if that makes any sense. (I told you I'm still processing it. [​IMG] )
    Hmm, what else? Terence Blanchard's stirring score effectively sets the mood. And wow, that last ten to fifteen minutes is really great. It's amazing he sustains it for so long. I didn't quite feel that way about the rest of the film, but there's a lot of good stuff in here. Guess I better let this one stew some more...

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Well-Known Member

8. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Well-Known Member

Michael, I think you hit the nail right on the head. It's the feeling that these characters must live with that is somehow similar to the post-9/11 feelings. It's also just a background to tell a story, and I think the fact that the U.S. hasn't had many of these experiences might make too many people search too hard for a parrallel between 9/11 and Norton's character. When we look to the films of Italy, Japan, Vietnam and other countries, it is extremely common to acknowledge and refer back to previous heartbreaking experiences while focusing on a character's story.

9. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Well-Known Member

David Benioff's novel was released in early 2001. I also don't see the political undertones that Mark did. I think the material stands on its own and now, set against the backdrop of post-9/11 events, becomes an even a stronger piece.

~Edwin

10. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Well-Known Member

While the novel may have been written pre-9/11, that doesn't preclude Spike Lee from adding that into the mix, especially since the film was obviously made after that time.

Perhaps I'm bringing too much to it, trying to make connections that aren't there to make sense of it all. Still, it seems to me to be a work with a strong political current running underneath the story. I certainly haven't processed the film fully (and with a blizzard of screenings this week, I haven't had enough time to sit down and really hash out all my thoughts on it).

On a side note, I bought into Norton's character being free and then reporting to prison on a particular day, mainly because I assumed there has to be a factual basis for it. Is there and if so, why is he permitted this freedom before going to prison?

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Well-Known Member

12. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Well-Known Member

Just a question, I don't know much about the law, but doesn't the judge usually deny bail for someone who has already been convicted? That set aside, I loved this movie and thought that Norton, Pepper and Hoffman put in some excellent performances. But we have come to expect nothing less form Norton.

13. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Well-Known Member

Damin J. Toell

14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Well, I'm going to see this film on Saturday and I hope my opinion of it is the opposite of Damin's.[​IMG]
    Crawdaddy

15. Nick C.

Nick C. Well-Known Member

anyone happen to know the title/artist of that addictive electronic song used in various trailers and during the nightclub scene? it had no lyrics, just a repetive drum beat...

looks like a soundtrack is due on the 14th, but Amazon calls it the score, so I wonder if such a song would even appear on it

16. Robin Warren

Robin Warren Well-Known Member

White Lines? That song is from the 80's I believe. I think it is by Duran Duran.

Free (say rock come on ya'all) rock (say freeze come on)
    Free (say rock come on ya'all) rock
    Ah (higher baby), ah (get higher baby), ah (get higher baby) Ah (and don't never come down) freebase

I really am looking forward to this. I really enjoy Spike's movies and so far have been unable to find it playing in my area. I can go outside and throw a rock and it will hit a theater that is playing Just Married, but trying to see this movie is proving rather difficult.

17. Nick C.

Nick C. Well-Known Member

thanks Robin, with your's and usenet help, it's a remix of the Grandmaster Flash version of White Lines

18. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Well-Known Member

Loved this movie.
    Back with more later. [​IMG]

19. Brook K

Brook K Well-Known Member

Agreed Scott. There's a ton I haven't seen but right now this is my fav of 2002

20. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Well-Known Member

Elizabeth S
    Really enjoyed this film. I felt that the theme of the "wrong road taken" or that temptation was something that everyone could relate to and reflect upon in our own lives. Amongst the 3 friends, though, I felt Phillip Seymour Hoffman's Jakob's story thread was a bit awkward.