What's new

Official 2014 Oscar Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
Well, Scorsese was robbed for the third time so I'd be pissed too. I remember the look on Newman's face when he lost yet again for THE VERDICT.
I remember an Emmy telecast from 15 or 20 years ago where Dennis Miller lost and in the split second that you see all the nominees' faces as they announce the winner, he went from the most fake & sarcastic overjoyed-for-the-other-person face to a look of "Ohh, f--- that." Any time I see an awards show, I still think of it and chuckle.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
THE WIZARD OF OZ tribute....blah. It wasn't even the best movie of 1939. Should have just paid tribute to the entire year.
+1 The films of 1939 add up to one of the great mysteries of cinema. Just an amazing year/amazing body of work.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I'm also in the camp that feels the expanded Best Picture category the past few years has been kind of a bust. In theory, it was supposed to allow for a greater variety in the nominated films, but all it's really done is make the limited scope of "Oscar movies" all the more obvious.

When there were only five Best Picture nominees, the other categories seemed to be pulling from a bigger pile of films (maybe they weren't, but at least there was the appearance of it). Now, almost all of the major category nominees (and even a lot of the technical ones) seem to be up for Best Picture, too. For example, "Best Film Editing" might as well be renamed "Best Film Editing On A Best Picture Nominee."

I also think that the fact that there are so many different Guild and Critics' Circle awards makes the Oscar race pretty easy to predict. Of course, those have been around for a while, but it just seems they've gotten more attention the last few years.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I found the show to be one of the most boring in recent memory. Also, I don't know if it's just the Kodak Theatre (or perhaps my advancing age) but the Oscars seemed to be "bigger" when they were held at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. I get the sense now that they're being held at my high school auditorium.I confess to not having seen any of the Best Picture nominees.The last movie I saw was The Book Thief and I'm still amazed that neither it, nor any of the actors in it, were nominated. :-/

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Well, it was nominated for Best Score. :)

I don't understand the whole credit discussion regarding 12YaS. It doesn't matter whether Ridley felt like giving McQueen co-writer credit, or what the people running the studio thought about it. Screenplay credits are arbitrated by the WGA (in the form of an anonymous panel of Guild members who study the script and evidence provided by all involved parties), and their decision is final. I guess that McQueen is not happy with the outcome of the arbitration, but nobody seems to be addressing it in these terms.

One of the few jokes that stood out for me was "So many different possibilities. . ." Ironically, I thought Ellen's collection of pizza money from people in the audience was in poor taste.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I just don't get Ellen, she's not funny to me and I hope that is the last time she host the show.

I also agree with others about the Oz tribute. I can't believe that Hollywood itself couldn't figure out that every movie in 1939 was turning 75 and not just Oz. Gone With The Wind is the most successful movie of all-times (adjusted gross) and you had other classics like Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, Stagecoach, Wuthering Heights and The Little Princess (the star just passed away also, how much more obvious can you get). Should have just honored the whole year but, they weren't going to honor GWTW during the same broadcast where 12YaS was going to win BP.

That "hero" montage was really dumb and a waste also IMO. I don't think they showed one shot of any previous Batman and not a single shot of Christopher Reeve as Superman. I mean come on, Christopher Reeve IS the cinematic Superman, how could they not include one shot. Man of Steel had about 50 shots though, guess we know which studio paid the bill for that clip.

There also seemed to be many more mistakes this year, like mics left on and cameras not ready when brought up etc.

The whole show just felt more bloated then ever, it was one of the most boring Oscars telecast I can remember (I've only been watching the Oscars since the mid 90s).

Personally, if they are going to fill the show with these clips and montages, just bring back the honoree awards.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Aaron Silverman said:
Well, it was nominated for Best Score. :) I don't understand the whole credit discussion regarding 12YaS. It doesn't matter whether Ridley felt like giving McQueen co-writer credit, or what the people running the studio thought about it. Screenplay credits are arbitrated by the WGA (in the form of an anonymous panel of Guild members who study the script and evidence provided by all involved parties), and their decision is final. I guess that McQueen is not happy with the outcome of the arbitration, but nobody seems to be addressing it in these terms. One of the few jokes that stood out for me was "So many different possibilities. . ." Ironically, I thought Ellen's collection of pizza money from people in the audience was in poor taste.
Poor taste? She did give it all to the delivery guy who really thought he was delivering to the writers.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
TonyD said:
Poor taste? She did give it all to the delivery guy who really thought he was delivering to the writers.
She collected $600 from the audience, then added $400 of her own to make it an even $1000 tip. She gave it to the delivery guy on her post-Oscar show.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Chris, good point about 1939. I'm sure there would have been quite a bit of controversy had GONE WITH THE WIND been mentioned or honored. Of course, everyone would overlook a certain actress in that film that did a lot of good (for what could be done back then).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Shocking indeed.As soon as I heard Ellen's joke at the very beginning of the show about how "there are two possibilities tonight...", I figured it was likely a done deal.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Steve Tannehill said:
She collected $600 from the audience, then added $400 of her own to make it an even $1000 tip. She gave it to the delivery guy on her post-Oscar show.
Giving the money to the delivery guy was great. . .but that happened the next day. Watching her walk around grabbing wads of cash from wealthy Hollywood actors like it was Monopoly money, given the state of the economy, rubbed a lot of viewers the wrong way.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Aaron Silverman said:
Giving the money to the delivery guy was great. . .but that happened the next day. Watching her walk around grabbing wads of cash from wealthy Hollywood actors like it was Monopoly money, given the state of the economy, rubbed a lot of viewers the wrong way.
Which viewers? I thought it was hilarious. And I doubt this is the first time an academy member has voted for a film without seeing it.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Bryan^H said:

And how many of those who saw and voted for 12 Years a Slave will ever see it again besides that initial screening?

They voted for The Artist and The Hurt Locker for Best Picture, do they even remember those films and who starred in them?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Aaron Silverman said:
I wasn't rubbed the wrong way. Where was this reported? The Weinstein crack was great.

Or did you all miss the part(other than Abdi...if I spelled his name right) where everybody is rich?

Lupita probably isn't hurting right now. She's probably been paid a retainer for something.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
And how many of those who saw and voted for 12 Years a Slave will ever see it again besides that initial screening?
They voted for The Artist and The Hurt Locker for Best Picture, do they even remember those films and who starred in them?
Maybe, maybe not - to answer your second question. Best Picture of the Year is not necessarily the film that will best stand the test of time. There are some films I've only seen once or twice, not because they were bad but because they were difficult to re-visit. For instance, The Pianist and Schindler's List. Some films are great on a first viewing, but tend to not reward secondary viewings. For instance, The Usual Suspects and The Sixth Sense.
One of the difficulties of evaluating films is trying to see forward and anticipate which films will become icons of cinema. I tend to dislike the term 'instant classic' whenever I see it in a review. I just don't think it is that easy to predict. Just because a film isn't remembered as fondly, doesn't make it a bad choice. Hindsight is always easier than predicting the future. Best Picture Awards are transitory and represent a 'snapshot' of the current time.
- Walter.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Aaron Silverman said:
It's their money they can do whatever they want with it. How much you want to bet Ellen told a few of those people she was going to give the money to the delivery guy before we saw her collect it.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I thought that was real funny and she should have pushed it more with Sandra Bullock. There was a missed golden comedy moment. Sandra says I have no money and just few days before there was a story that she made 60 millions from Gravity. I don't think any A list actors win that much for a role. I'm still shocked how she missed that moment. :D

I remember a similar situation / joke from a previous Oscar. Maybe it was (Jon Stewart or Steve Martin!) making a joke about high prices of movie tickets and Julia Roberts salary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks