What's new

*** Official 2009 Warner Chat and Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Ya, maybe all the dumb questions is why they cut the chat short this year. People asking about THE DARK KNIGHT and WATCHMEN? Geez louise.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
First of all, I don't recall any question about Watchmen.
Second of all, I don't recall any stipulation that questions had to center around the Archive announcement or films prior to the 70's.
The only stipulation published beforehand was only theatrical home video would be discussed, no animation or TV.
I was the one who asked about Heat on Blu-ray, which I have been waiting patiently to own. It's one of my favorites....
I, for one, have no qualms about someone asking about a fairly "skimpy on extras" release of TDK which had no focus on Heath Ledger's final full feature performance. (which at the time was almost guaranteed to take home an Oscar)
Since no info was presented beforehand that the Warner representation was going to discuss catalog only, it was a fair question...

DanMel

Second Unit
It seems that WB must have seen that the Bright Leaf link wasn't working as that movie is no longer listed on the site with the others. It looks like they are down to 148 at present so they must have taken some other titles off as well. It is strange as the Bright Leaf link was working when my friend did a search for it before it was listed and found it and ordered it. She actually got an order confirmation for it. I had a bunch of others ready to order but no Bright Leaf no sale for anything on my side.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I was just thinknig about the BR releases of GWTW and WIZARD OF OZ - those are going to look fantastic!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jo_C

Second Unit

Well, to whoever asked the question about "Supeman" and "Superman II" (and I do communicate with him once in a while as I did yesterday after the chat)...the reason he asked this question (and this is what I got from him personally...funny, we share the same first initials) is because there was not a proper 30th anniversary release of "Superman" (one has to wonder how "The Wizard of Oz" and "Gone With The Wind" can get an anniversary edition while "Superman" did not, and I do not fault WB/Turner for deciding to get deluxe editions for "Oz" and "GWTW" as they are two of the best classics ever made coming out of the greatest year of movies ever), and for years Superman fans have been clammoring WB to death to release the added TV footage in some type of form. Yes, WB could have at least put the deleted scenes in a section of that wonderful 2006 silver box set of all the Superman movies instead of re-hashing "Superman And The Mole Men"...bad choice on their part. Anyway, it was (and is) certainly a good excuse for fans to go back and watch their dubs of the TV version...but sadly we'll leave it at that since talking bootlegs on this forum is a no-no.

One question I myself would have wanted to ask WB is a blu-ray release of "Around The World In 80 Days", which I am happy is on DVD in some restored version. Remember, WB restored only the 35mm non-Todd-AO version, not the original 70MM one (but I'm happy that at least one version is restored for future generations).

I just could not find the heart to praise WB about the "Blade Runner" set, because after having it in my personal collection no comment is needed. Sometimes a great collection that satisfys fans needs no comment.

Well, I've said my peace.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I was hoping that someone would ask about an anamorphic widescreen transfer of The American President. They did mention something about double features being released later this year with anamorphic widescreen transfers so maybe a double feature of The American President and Dave?

I missed the chat last night, but I won't miss the next one!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Happy to hear the rest of the Tarzans coming sooner rather than later.
Disappointed to see John Garfield (or rather his fans, of which I am one) getting the shaft vis a vis no economical Boxset.
If I might make a suggestion to Warner- adopt the Amazon approach of bundling together titles and selling those at a further discount. When someone goes looking for Four Daughters, a side link could come up saying "if you are interested in this title you may also be interested in (a set of John Garfield titles at a greatly reduced rate)". Maybe the customer can then make his own boxset up of 4 titles from a related list for $50 (or $60). Warner could slap them into a generic standarized shield logo'ed slipcase, and they would still make quite a bit more than with a traditionaly distributed retail set. And it would encourage larger orders. Just a thought.
Interesting to hear that they got the cinematographer on board for the Exorcist remaster. I hope that means they are giving serious thought to a muti version release. I don't care if the D.P. endorses a revision, I want the original versions of classics, not just the 'redos on a whim'.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
someone asked about Badlands with no answer,what about the ford film "The Fugitive"
when is "Once upon a time in america " coming out on Blue Ray?

what about "Blow up" "Ryans Daughter "BR?
and the question for another Chat WHY IS IT
THAT EVERY NEW CRAPPY DC ANIMATION TITLE GETS A BLUE RAY
YET THEY CAN"T DO SUPERMAN,POPEYE,and LOONEY TUNES???

THIS IS A OUTRAGE!!

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I'm starting to wonder if maybe there shouldn't be a separate Blu Ray chat so all the redundant release questions can be lumped together. That's not meant in any way to be disparaging, it just seems there might be two distinctly different interest groups and one chat will probably not service both.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
I for one was thrilled to receive a positive and substantive answer to my questions about "Contact" and "Hamlet."

I also thought the chat was heavily skewed toward the Warner Archives stuff, so I wasn't as bothered by the relatively few questions about more recent product as some other people were.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

I really hope that, when it is released it will not be as only a black and white standalone feature on the disc, but completely integrated into the movie. Along with finished sound effects and the inclusion of the rest of 'The Meek Shall Inherit' which was cut out after the ending was altered.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Well......I've been waiting for that Robinson set including The Sea Wolf since the last Warner chat a few years ago which it was strongly rumored to be pretty much a lock as coming that same year. ;) I'm just really surprised it hasn't made it out yet and doubly surprised nobody thought to ask about it.

While I'd much rather have a standard DVD release I won't snub my nose at an Archive release. The Sea Wolf is one of only a small handful of unreleased Warner titles that I'd be inclined to get via Archives currently at over $20 a pop.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member

Same here, this is an instant buy if it comes on archives format.

I am also hoping that some Lorre/Greenstreet films make their way onto the archives fornat especially The Mask of Dimitrios, The Verdict and Three Strangers.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Robert, since you're an Administrator, couldn't you get a chance to ask WB on the side, or have your question relayed to Ron, or whomever, even aside from the chat?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jim,
I agree that Warner wouldn't just adjust the price down if people are buying these discs like crazy. Hell, they would be poor business people if they did such a thing. However, I expect more than a few consumers to back off once they realized how much money they've spent on these discs. So any changes to Warner's pricing strategy will be determine by our purchasing behaviour.

Crawdaddy

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Well, Jim, they never said this was their ONLY Halloween plan. But I gotta tell ya, I love it - and I'm a big fan of FRANKENSTEIN 1970! I just hope both FRANKENSTEIN '70 and THE WALKING DEAD have commentaries; I've heard they were already recorded some time ago.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron screwed me out of my question by forgetting about me.;)

Actually, I was too busy keeping this thread updated then all of sudden the chat got cut by one hour so there you go.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member

If Warner were going to put these out on Blu-ray, then I think they would at least re-release these on SD in anamorphic format. That is why I don't have high hopes for a Blu-ray release from their answer.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would be shocked if in the future, George Feltenstein doesn't make those titles available through Warner Archives because he realizes there has been several requests for those titles on various internet boards.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks