What's new

*** Official 2008 Oscars Nominations List and Forum Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I have to agree. Not only is she a sentimental favorite, but she also has a body of extraordinary work going back decades. It would be a career award as much as an award for American Gangster.

I also agree that Julie Christie will win Best Actress, but as much as I loved Away From Her, that's not the performance I'd vote for. No screen performance in 2007 left me shaken to the core the way Marion Cotillard's did in La Vie en Rose.

I doubt, though, that any performance could overcome the depth of goodwill that Julie Christie enjoys in Hollywood (and with good reason).

M.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
(snob alert, sorry)

Agreed, but for her to win over Cotillard, Christie and Linney (I haven't seen Elizabeth myself) would be an absolute joke, just as the absurd thought of Juno winning over There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men, Michael Clayton or Atonement is. Page didn't even give the best comedic performance this year, IMO. I'd give that kudo to Amy Adams.

After Brokeback lost to Crash I will never again be shocked at anything the AMPAS voters will do, but come on, really. They can't be THAT insane.

I liked Juno, saw it 3 times, but this is more a People's Choice Awards winner than an Academy Award winner. I'm glad it got nominated even if I would have preferred to see The Diving Bell and the Butterfly in its place. It's the "little movie that could" just like The Full Monty, Babe, and Little Miss Sunshine, and good for it (and them) but it does NOT belong in the pantheon of Best Picture WINNERS.

As it is, if There Will Be Blood loses, people in the future will say "I cannot BELIEVE that There Will Be Blood lost Best Picture!" but at least, the way it looks now, others will be able to say "Yeah, but at least it lost to No Country For Old Men," prompting the first person to say "Oh yeah, ok, there is that." It's like Chinatown losing Best Picture, but hey, it lost to The Godfather Part II. What can you say to that? There Will Be Blood (and No Country) losing to Juno would be akin to Chinatown and The Godfather Part II BOTH losing to The Towering Inferno, also nominated that year.

It can't happen. It just cannot happen. PLEASE don't let the Oscar voters be that mundane. No Juno, no Ellen. A part of me will die if that happens.

Ellen's a wonderful actress and will only get better. Her day will come.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Linney nom is a bit surprising. She is never anything less than excellent, but at the same time, that character and performance was rather routine. Excellent, but routine, if that makes sense. She does stuff like that in her sleep, so I didn't expect the nod.

--
H

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
right now I think the likelyhood of win is:

1. No Country for Old Men
2. Michael Clayton
3. Juno
4. There Will be Blood
5. Atonement

If No country doesn't win, I'd expect Michael Clayton to take the prize ala Crash.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I just got back from THERE WILL BE BLOOD and while it's a very impressive film, it still had a few problems. I'd give it :star::star::star:1/2 but a second viewing might do me good.

As far as Daniel Day-Lewis goes, he certainly is great here but I'd say his performance in GANGS OF NEW YORK was better and if he wins this year then I'd say they are making up for robbing him there. Familiar characters and all.

I don't put too much into the Oscars but if MICHAEL CLAYTON wins then hell has frozen over. I was at the theater twice this week when this was letting out and the crowds coming out of it were yawning and calling the film overrated. I heard several people commit on saying they should have stuck to their guns and not watched it like the first time it was in theaters.

I also watched THE KING OF KONG this week and I hope one day someone does a documentary on how the Best Documentary noms are picked. GRIZZLY MAN was overlooked a few years ago and now this film. Shame.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
What Michael Clayton has going for it really has no negatives and is a perfectly solid film. That plus its cast, it's script and overall classyness (and classicness) of the production. It's very elegant and really appeals to the academy's demographic.

No Country's biggest positive is that it's winning every award, every precursor, has widespread support and a general industry feeling that the Coen's are due. Plus an iconic villain. The biggest negative is that some people really dislike the post modern ending.

Juno has a lot of industry support but will probably only win screenplay, the academy is always nervous to really come out in support of a comedy because comedies so rarely win. Other than the back to back comedy wins of Shakespeare in Love and American Beauty you have to go back Terms of Endearment to find another winner, and all three of these films were viewed as primarily dramas on the first go round

There Will Be Blood has a lot of goodwill for Day Lewis' performance, but a lot of academy members don't like that it doesn't have a traditional story or a-z arc, and again, the post modern ending.

Atonement - the post modern ending strikes again. and the academy would rather see a traditional love story than a film that doubles as a slightly over the top commentary on our need for traditional love stories and tidy, classic closure in film.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
BAFTA Winners:

Best film: ATONEMENT

Best Actor: DANIEL DAY-LEWIS

Best Actress: MARION COTILLARD

Best Director: JOEL & ETHAN COEN

Best Supporting Actor: JAVIER BARDEM

Best Supporting Actress: TILDA SWINTON

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It looks to me that there is not much excitement this year about the Oscars based on so little postings about them here.

Crawdaddy

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't very excited last year. I was still hurting terribly from Brokeback Mountain's loss and though I liked most of the movies up for nominations, there wasn't anything I felt passionate about.

This year's totally different. I'm passionate, nay, totally completely OBSESSED with There Will Be Blood and I'm beyond thrilled that it got 8 nominations. However, unlike Brokeback, it didn't enter into this backstretch the frontrunner, so I'm resigned to it only winning Best Actor. I can hope for maybe Cinematography (based on the Guild win) and Art Direction (again based on the Guild win), but I'm not expecting them. In my wildest dreams of course I would like to see TWBB win Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography and Art Direction. In my wildest dreams.

The thing is, the consolation I can take with There Will Be Blood not winning any of the biggies besides Actor is that, almost certainly, No Country For Old Men will win those awards (Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay) and it's the COEN FREAKIN' BROTHERS! That's just so amazing and wonderful. Any disappointment I might feel at TWBB losing will be offset by my thrill at seeing the Coens getting up there to accept their awards. It helps me, knowing that though my very favorite movie of 2007 by one of my favorite directors will lose, it will lose to one of my favorite movies of 2007 by my very favorite directors. Win-win, all around. Unless voters suddenly become brain-damaged, TWBB is pretty much guaranteed one Oscar, and since I think it's one of the greatest performances ever put on film, hell yeah, I'll take that, with a big smile.

Knowing the psychological pain that Brokeback's loss put me through (gut-punched, I tell you), I'm telling myself that I won't be toooo awfully upset if Atonement or even Michael Clayton were to sneak in and win Best Picture. Atonement's an Oscary film and wouldn't be an embarrassment, and I loved Michael Clayton, so I think I can handle it. I would however shut the TV off in utter rage if Juno won BP. The closer the Oscars get, and especially now when we know there actually will be an Oscar ceremony, the more worried I am that Juno is going to ruin my night. I like Juno too much to want to hate it the way I'll hate it if it wins BP.

I don't have TV so I've missed the other awards things this year. I missed BAFTA and BFCA, though I did watch the, uh, "Golden Globes" online. I remember when I used to tape/Tivo every single thing leading up to the big night. That's probably helped keep me tempered.

But I am excited. Very!

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I'll be more excited about the ceremony tomorrow night since I'll finally have seen all 5 Best Picture nominees, all in theaters, nonetheless. I don't think I've ever done that before, watched all 5 Best Picture nominees in theaters before the ceremony.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Yeah, for once I'm not all worn out with awards shows. Instead of "Great, it'll finally be over!", I'm actually looking forward to the show. An unexpected "benefit" of the writers' strike. ;)

M.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

That's cool and that was my plan this year, but I'm going to fall short. Oh well, I am still looking forward to the ceremony.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Strong year, and I managed to see 4 of the BP nominees, BEFORE they were even nominees. Pretty good for me.

But I'm ambivalent to the show. Not sure why.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I just got back from seeing NO COUNTRY, which ended with just about everyone booing. My girlfriend hated the film but I enjoyed it up to the final thirty minutes.

It's funny but I gave four of the BP noms 3 1/2 stars and 2 to MC. From what's nominated I'd probably give my vote to THERE WILL BE BLOOD but even that film was flawed to me so I might break a rule and give it to JUNO.

With that said, there were better movies out there than these five. I'm going to work on my top 10 list after I watch a couple more movies tonight but as of now I'd say the voters got it all wrong. As for the lack of hype surrounding the event, I've noted this at several sites as well as in the overall public. I think it's due in large part to people being underwelmed by the films. Each one has a lot of people that love them but at the same time there's a lot of people disappointed with them. It seems NO COUNTRY and THERE WILL are the two front runners but I don't recall in recent times two of the big noms being so disliked by so many.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It would have been interesting to get top ten lists from the members of those audiences.

M.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have a feeling that the last 30 minutes of "No Country for Old Men" will be debated for many years to come with a lot of people never understanding the ending and feeling the ending ruin what could of been a great film in their opinion while others will argue that the ending made it a great film.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Which is why I'd go on and label the film an instant classic. There's nothing like controversy to keep a film alive for many decades and as you said, the ending will be debated for decades to come so if this wins Best Picture I think people will look back at it and say it was the right selection since, as of today, I think it has the best shot of still being talked about years to come.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
There's a scenario where any of the five could win Best Picture, but I think No Country walks away with the win. the only true wide-open category is Supporting Actress, the rest seem to have clear frontrunners and dark horses. I'll post my predictions below:

Best Picture:
No Country for Old Men

Best Director:
Joel and Ethan Coen

Best Actor
Daniel Day Lewis

Best Actress
Julie Christie

Best Supporting actor
Javier Bardem

Best Supporting Actress (a complete crapshoot any of them might win)
Cate Blanchett

Animated Feature
Ratatouille

Animated Short
Peter and the Wolf

Best Art Direction
There Will be Blood

Best Costume Design
Atonement

Best Cinematography
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Best Documentary
Taxi to the Dark Side

Best Documentary Short
Salim Baba

Best Editing

Best Foreign language Film
The Counterfeiters

Best Live Action Short
Tonto woman

Best Makeup
Pirates of the Carribbean: At World's End

Music Original Score
Atonement

Music Original Song
Falling Slowly - Once

Sound Editing
Transformers

Sound Effects
Transformers

Visual Effects
Transformers

Writing - original
Juno

Writing - adapted
No Country for Old Men

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
How I would vote:

Best Picture
Atonement

Best Director
Jason Reitman

Best Actor
Viggo Mortenson

Best Actress
Julie Christie

Best Supporting Actor
Casey Affleck

Best Supporting Actress
Saoirse Ronan

Animated Feature
Ratatouille

Animated Short
Peter and the Wolf

Art Direction
The Golden Compass

Best Costume Design
Across the Universe

Best Cinematography
Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
(a virtual tie with Diving Bell and the Butterfly)

Best Documentary
No End in Sight

Best Documentary Short
no opinion, haven't seen any of the nominees

Best Editing
(incredibly sophisticated in a way that goes far beyond the simple blinking that most people will see)

Best Foreign language Film:
no opinion

Best Live Action film
(placeholder)

Best Makeup
Pirates of the Carribbean

Music Original Score
Atonement

Music Original Song
Falling Slowly

Sound Editing
Transformers

Sound Mixing
Transformers

Visual Effects
Pirates of the Carribbean

Writing adapted
Atonement

Writing original
Juno

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks