What's new

*** Official 2003 Academy Awards Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
True, Dome, but I am all for the Academy getting past what is and isn't "Academy". My mother mentioned his performance to me. She's never even liked him until now.

THAT'S a performance ;)

"Weighty" or not,
Chuck

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Since The Matrix Reloaded nor The Matrix Revolutions wasn't even nominated ONCE, I will not be watching. But, the Oscar's lost much of it's appeal when A Beautiful Mind won for best picture.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

I too defended "The Matrix" win over TPM and still think it was completely deserving. However, I'm completely content with neither new Matrix film being nominated. If Gaeta really is being as big an ass as he apparently is, combined with the extremely subpar work on "Reloaded", and even though I haven't seen "Revolutions" if the studio was foolish enough to submit BOTH films for consideration, as I believe I read they did, then the films were in no way going to get nominated, and "Reloaded" on its own certainly didn't deserve to be nominated.

As far as audience reaction, the only reaction I really heard and thought was larger than usual was for Sophia's nomination.

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator

I haven't seen too many nomination shows, but the audience was really whooping and hollering for this one.

One of the reporters on E! said that when LOTR:ROTK was announced as the first nominee for BP, and since they're announced alphabetically, there was a gasp throughout the crowd because that meant that Cold Mountain had been snubbed.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well one thing going for M&C was how seemless the effects were. I thought they pulled it off wonderfully, as it felt very much like every single thing that happened in the film was really happening.

And Visual FX doesn't just mean CGI as far as I understand, just all the various visual FX and how effective or innovative they are ON SCREEN.

The technical awards recognize how tricky something was to do, the Visual FX award is about how it plays on screen.

I think the Pirates in the Moonlight thing was interesting enough to get some FX attention, and the usage there was more lively and inventive.

Let's face it, PotC was a big hit for a reason - it was good. It's great that the Academy is recognizing the film so much. In fact looking at it now you can almost wonder if it just missed catching Seabiscuit for the 5th Best Pix nomination.

Nick C.

Second Unit
the 21 Grams cast was also well received, Del Toro and Watts got the most applause in their respective categories.

also gasps and silence when Castle-Hughes was and Cold Mountain wasn't nominated, for actress and pic, respectively

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Damn, overslept through two alarms. Lucky I still woke up before my first class.

Great to see
CoG (even if I haven't seen it yet)
Lit (ditto)
Naomi Watts
Benicio Del Toro
Johnny Depp

Can't wait until awards night!

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Let me go on record right now saying that if Seabiscuit wins Best Picture over LOTR, I'll ...oh, I don't know!! :D Seriously, I have a bad feeling about this. The very presence of Seabiscuit makes me nervous.

As am I. However, Depp has had SO many outstanding performances over the years and THIS is the one that gets Oscar props?
:confused:

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Well, this is pretty interesting.

Cold Mountain gets left in the...err...cold. City of God shows up out of nowhere.

Lots of actors seem missing. Where is Scarlett Johannson? Where is Sean Astin?

The Matrix snub is surprising. The theory that vote splitting cause by sending both films up makes some sense, but it still surprised the heck out of me that they would send that forward over Pirates. M&C I'm pretty comfortable with considering how seamlessly they blended their special effects onto the film.

Nice to see some suprising things.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

I have yet to see Pirates, but I definitely think his best work in recent years was in Donnie Brasco. That performance was crazy good. Also Pacino's best work in a long time.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
:b Seth, you're absolutely right. As soon as I posted that I felt I may have screwed it up. But I was late for work and couldn't quickly find any pointers to last year's FF contenders. Thanks for correcting my mistake.

As far as Meirelles posing a challenge to Jackson for BD - I can't argue with you on pure artistic & technical merit, but from an awards standpoint getting the nomination is his win. I suspect if the Academy gives CoG a statue, it will be for Editing.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
If there was an MVP acting award Depp would win it hands down. He single-handedly lifted this film to both popular & critical success.

PotC has to be the most incredible success story in years. If one of us had said last year at this time "Hey, you know that upcoming Bruckheimer/Disney pirate flick based on a theme park ride?? It's going to do $300 million at the box office, and get 6 Oscar nominations, including Best Actor" we would have been laughed off the board. Simply amazing.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I’m happy for the nominations Pirates got. I thought it was a good movie and it deserves them. I’m also happy it got a nomination for best VFX. I bring up again my theory that “better movies” get the nomination. Who can say that Pirates VFX is more deserving than Matrix 2 or 3? It got it because it’s a better movie.

I’m also happy of the 3 nominations for The House of Sand and Fog got.

Needless to say I’m very glad for LOTR. Peter Jackson proved everyone wrong! You can make a good movie! And he was nominated for all the 3 movies! That's something. Even our beloved original Star Wars trilogy didn't get best picture for all the 3 movies!

Update : I removed the best director after I saw Craig's post.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
As I predicted long ago in the other thread, Ngila Dickson is a double-nominee in the Costuming category. She really deserves the win. Hopefully the votes won't split. It's encouraging to remember that 3 years ago the Academy gave the Directing award to Steven Soderburgh when he was double-nominated.

ToddP

Stunt Coordinator
I thought Johnny Depp was fantastic in Pirates. He became Captain Jack Sparrow, and truly made the movie what it was. He carried the film, and his performance is what made the entire venture entertaining (in my mind).

I've never understood this concept of a role not being "Acadamy worthy", or not being "weighty" enough. Why, because it doesn't call for over-exagerated displays of emotion? We're talking about an award for acting. Depp WAS his character in this film; and if that's not great acting, worthy of recognition, then I guess I'm glad I don't know what is.

Kami

Screenwriter
No cinematography nom for LOTR? This is by far my biggest disappointment next to LOTR getting no action noms, but I'm happy it got 11.

Also can't believe the Matrix didn't get any technical noms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks