What's new

*** Official "2 FAST 2 FURIOUS" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
The only reason I want to see this is because John Singleton directed it. Can he inject some smarts and new perspectives into the film...or has he totally lost his mind when he agreed to direct this? I liked the first F&F so I'll probably check it out this weekend.

Bruce

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I doubt you'd find much "Singleton" in this film, as it seems to be done more by a journeyman director (or director-for-hire).

But there's good chemistry between Tyrese and Walker for the most part.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

He was intended to be the star of the first one. It was his "vehicle," so to speak. :wink: The whole Vin Diesel thing was sort of a surprise (and not a good one if you're Paul Walker).

EDIT: I knew this belonged here...just as I hit "submit" in the other thread. :b

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I'm predicting weak box office for 2 Fast - vin diesel was the franchise and he's gone. I doubt the kids will show up just to see more rice rockets. But i guess we'll see.

As for Singleton - he's had his moments but not recently. "Rosewood", for example, is IMO one of the worst films of the past 5-6 years. He lost his touch after "higher learning".

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
To quote everyone's favorite Gallo-basher:

By the time the finale showed up, I felt like I was being pummeled with indifference and complete ineptitude.

The cars sure are flashy. Yay.

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
I was worried about this movie precisely because of Singleton's involvement. He hasn't matured at all as a filmmaker since Boyz N the Hood. 2 Fast 2 Furious is really boring stuff, lacking even the neon beauty of Ericson Core's photography on the original film.

Mark

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I thought it wasn't bad, and didn't embarass itself in ways I feared based on the trailer.

Tyrese and Walker work well together, Eva Mendes is pretty worthless, Cole Hauser was a minor bright spot, and the rest just did their part.

The cars were pretty and some of the stunts were nice (although I would have loved to not know the car was going to get worked over by the semis).

However, it didn't begin to get the magic of the first one, and Diesel was just a part of it. Call it 0.7Fast 0.7Furious.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Okay gang, this is the Official Discussion Thread for "2 Fast 2 Furious". Please post all discussion items here.

The official review thread for "2 Fast 2 Furious" can be found HERE.

Thanks,

Jason Whyte
Home Theater Forum

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I said it in the review thread; 2 fast 2 furious is 2 stupid 2 be good. Very dissapointing.

Tim OK

Auditioning
I haven't seen the movie yet, and it's because of the trailer. I'm a car nut, and even though I'm not into the import scene, I'll got to just about any car movie to watch some good driving and stunts.
Nothing is worse than a car movie with CGI cars. Its so bad that it was easy to spot in the trailer, even though the CGI cars were only on screen for half a second.
The modellers can never get them to move right, and the car "models" look even hokier than the ones in Driven.

I'll catch this one on HBO.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Heh, the look on Tyrese's face when he's about to race the camaro (the one with an estimated 425 horses) and the other driver revs it up is priceless. I suspect he shat his britches.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Friday estimate: $18.9 million. Nemo in second with $12.2 million.
It will probably beat Nemo for #1 for the weekend. The bad and the good of American popular culture I think.

UPDATE: Weekend estimate: $48.5 million for 2 Fast
$45.5 million for Nemo

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Never underestimate teenagers with a love for fast cars. Plus the slotting of 2F2F in between Finding Nemo and The Hulk was perfect for the maximum box office take for the film.

It's going be like this all summer long, no long running box office champ from week to week.

The film is basically a roller coaster ride with fast cars and plenty of machismo on display. Teens gravitate towards that sort of material.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I saw quite a few teen females (not accompanied by teen boys) in the audience last night. I would not be so quick to dismiss the teen females demographic for this popcorn ride of a movie. Plus, there is one female driver in the movie to tap into that audience (but she is mainly only in the opening race for the most part).

Come to think of it, this movie has a bit for almost every demographic you can think of in terms of casting (white, black, latino, young, middle-aged).

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
The CGI cars and the bridge scene in the trailer was enough to warrant this as a rent only for me. Before that trailer it might have been a "wait for DVD".

After reading this I'm 100% positive in my first impressions.

And do some cars really have pink flames coming out of the back?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Not surprising. With Paul Walker and Tyrese, there's plenty of eye candy for the ladies.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Who here is suprised that there were lots of teen females in the audience. Was there ever an impression that every teen male was in fact, dating "Maude" from Harold & Maude? Was there an expectation of 80 year old women? :) In general, teen boys (just as an out of the blue guess) will date teen girls, thus making this a film they would attend. I could be wrong on this, I might need a study :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks