What's new

*** Official 14th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2013 *** (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
176.JPG

All Blind Dead films are available to watch in English dub, or Spanish w/ English subtitles. The English versions look way better so those are the ones I watched. The Spanish versions are much more gory.
Tombs Of The Blind Dead(1971)
Fantastic Spanish horror film bursting with a grim, foreboding atmosphere that is unparalleled for horror films of the time(except for Night Of The Living Dead). Evil Templar Knights from centuries ago kill people terribly and drink their blood. They are finally brought to justice and have their eyes burned out by the good folk of the village(Hence: Blind Dead) soon after they are burned alive.
Flash forward to 1971 and the skeletal remains reanimate to do more killing and drink more blood. A girl hops off a train and encounters the tomb of the evil Knights. They awaken, and the suspense begins. They undead Knights may be smarter than zombies But wow are they slow. They move at a pace that makes the Romero zombies point and laugh. But They do have horses and they will catch you if you run.
grade-A

Return Of The Evil Dead(1973)
Mediocre follow up that doesn't quite deliver the chills of the first film. More because of the characters than the directors ability to craft a spooky film.
Grade-C+

The Ghost Galleon(1975)
This is more like it. A couple fashion model gals adrift at sea in a small boat encounter the Ghost Galleon filled with crates of the Blind Dead. The most atmospheric film of the series, and while slow in pacing, makes up for in the eerie tone.
Grade-A

Night Of The Seagulls(1976)
The last of the Blind Dead films, and another winner. A young Doctor and his beautiful wife relocate to a small seaside village. Problem is the villagers like to sacrifice pretty girls to those bastardly dead Knights so they can get their fill of blood and won't decimate all the inhabitants therein.
Grade-B+
All these are my first time viewings, and the so far the best I've seen this challenge :)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Tuesday, October 29thMOVIES:62. Blade Trinity. (2004)(N) Mostly action, like a video game. How many more vampires do I need to see turned into ash? They managed to crap on the whole vampire thing with this. I knew I was in trouble when they dissed the classic examples of the genre right at the front. No respect for what came before. Then they present this...? :( "Blood farms" in these films are such a boring concept, lazy writing if you ask me. I feel like vampires as a group are like animals from the wild (even domesticated cats), the kill is important to them just like getting the blood they need is important. A cat will lay there and play with it's kill. I like to think of vamps in the same way. Some of the cast are okay. Snipes looks like he wants to get it done and go home. I had to look up Kristofferson and see if he was still alive after this. He looked like he needed to be taken to the hospital. But he's fine... has several things in pre-production. Good... I like Kris. 63. Paranorman. (2012)(N) I never did really recover from Blade. I started to feel ill myself about halfway through this animated Sixth Sense sort of ghosty, zombie thing. My mini-pin was laying right beside me on her back (wish I could have snapped a picture of that) and we were just crashing there, her snoring me just trying to stay awake. My favorite thing was the look of the film itself (wiki just told me they used a 3D printer, which is amazing... I was thinking it all appeared plastic...everything looks kind of neat and non-cgi, not quite Wallace and Gromit handmade, but more like Nightmare before Christmas), the humor was mostly lost on me since it was meant for younger folks and I was feeling my age, which stinks. Since I've never seen Caroline (same makers), I can only hope it's better than this. Maybe on a better day I'll give both those a look (this one again). TV:68. Dark Shadows. 127. Almost as creepy as Matthew, Burke's (now outwardly) affection for Vicki...! Whatup witdat?N=New to me/all Dark Shadows are NMovies:1. Creepshow 2. (1987)2. Seventh Sign. (1988).3. The Willies. (1990) (N)4. Enter Nowhere. (2011) (N)5. Deathdream (or Dead of Night). (1971)6. Red Riding Hood. (2011) (N)7. Dagon. (2001)8. The Oblong Box. (1969)9. Alice, Sweet Alice. (1976) (N)10. Long Pigs. (2006) (N)11. Gremlins. (1984)12. Bloody Pit of Horror. (1965)13. Thale. (2012) (N)14. The Devil Inside. (2012) (N)15. The Mummy. (1959)16. Quarantine. (2008) (N)17. The Children. (2008)(N)18. Blowout. (1981)19. Thirst. (2009) (N)20. Spaced Invaders. (1989)21. Cat's Eye. (1985) 22. Friday the 13th. (1980)23. Christine. (1985)24. Cinematic Titanic Presents The Wasp Woman. (1959/2008) (N)25. Ghostwatch. (1992) (N)26. The Day of the Beast. (1995) (N)27. The Woman in Black. (1989) (N)28. Blood on Satan's Claw. (1971) (N)29. The Possession. (2012) (N)30. Friday the 13th Part 2. (1981)31. Flatliners. (1990)32. Paranoia 1.0. (2004) (N)33. Friday the 13th. Part 3. (1982)34. Duel. (1971)35. Exorcist. The Version You've Never Seen. (1973/2000)36. Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural. (1973) (N)37. Cube Zero. (2004) (N)38. The Poughkeepsie Tapes (2007) (N)39. The Bad Seed. (1956) (N)40. Yokai Monsters. 100 Monsters. (1968) (N)41. Brides of Dracula. (1960)42. Sinister (2012) (N)43. Shiver of the Vampires. (1970) (N)44. Friday the 13th The Final Chapter. (1984)45. The Shrine. (2010) (N)46. The Innocents. (1961) (N)47. Mama (2013) (N)48. Botched! (2007)49. Invaders from Mars. (1986)50. The Shining. (1980)51. The Witches. (1990)52. The Company of Wolves. (1986)53. Burnt Offerings. (1976)54. The conjuring. (2013)(N)55. V/H/S 2. (2013)(N)56. Blair Witch Project. (1999)57. Innkeepers. (2011)58. Throw mama from the Train. (1987)59. World War Z. (2013)(N)60. Young Poisoner's Handbook. (1994)62. Blade Trinity. (2004)(N)63. Paranorman. (2012)(N)TV:1-25. Dark Shadows. E60-8426. X-Files. S8. "Empedocles"27-51. Dark Shadows. E85-10852. Bewitched. Season 2. "My Boss, the Teddy Bear".52-68. Dark Shadows. 109-127

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
The Uninvited (1944) 5/5

This is probably my favourite horror movie of all time. I was interested in gothic romance and ghost stories when I was 11-12 years old and read the book at that time. I didn't see the movie until I was in my early twenties but I recognized it immediately.
Everything is nearly perfect here from the acting, screenplay and the wonderful eerie sets. This movie has atmosphere galore and gives me the chills even to this day.
I was pleased to finally see this film being released on bluray and Criterion no less.
Highly recommended especially to those that likes a good ghost story.

The Plague of the Zombies (1966) 4/5

A young doctor writes to his old professor in order to get help regarding mysterious illnesses and deaths in the village where in works in Cornwall. This is a great zombie movie and probably one of the better movies put out by Hammer studios.

TV Episodes
34 Supernatural S7: Of Grave Importance 3/5

Bobby's ghost helps the boys solve a case in a haunted house where a hunter friend disappeared. Bobby had such an outstanding episode dealing with his death, it's a shame they brought him back for this.

35 Supernatural S7: The Girl with the Dungeons & Dragons Tattoo 2/5

A young computer hacker helps the boys discovers info present on Frank's hard drive. The only catch is she is in the employ of Dick Roman the head leviathan and her life could be in danger. Felicia Day is barely tolerable as Charlie a character that seems to be popular with the writer. Thankfully she only appears the one time in this season.

36 Dracula S1: Pilot ep. 3.5/5

This series presents us with a new take on Dracula's story. I can't say I'm thrilled about Van Helsing being the one to resurrect Dracula. We'll have to see how all this plays out.

37 The Walking Dead S4: Isolation 4/5

Another good episode as the flu-like illness takes more deaths in the prison. The council institutes a quarantine and a small group leaves the prison in search of medication that will combat the illness.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Here's the past two days of watching for me. Have time off work so getting in more films than usual!

10-28 064 From Beyond (1986) 3.5/5
Stuart Gordon’s follow up to Re-Animator is another gooey Lovecraft adaptation. It’s also a heck of a lot of fun. It loses a bit of steam in the 3rd act when they leave the house, but it all still works. If you like weird, psycho-sexual gore films, this ones for you.

10-28 065 Look What’s Happened To Rosemary’s Baby (1976) 1.5/5
Incredibly bad follow up to the Polanski classic. Only poor old Ruth Gordon is back from the original cast, and she seems less than interested. Instead of presenting satanism in a normal setting like in the first film, this one seems to check off every tired cliche it can. Goofy robes, rock music being the devils music and lots of chanting, it’s all here. Best to avoid this one.

10-28 066 Cronos (1993) 4/5
Guillermo del Toro’s first film is a masterful, original take on vampires. Lots of atmosphere and some nice effects, the story floats between gothic horror and fairy tale. Genuinely creepy, and fun to watch, the Criterion release is highly recommended.

10-28 067 Geometria (1987) 2.5/5
Student short film that’s included on the Criterion “Cronos” disc. It’s a bit of fun that shows a lot of promise that del Toro will fulfill with his original projects.

10-28 068 Genocide (1968) 4/5
The last film in Criterions “When Horror Came To Shochiku” set, and boy is it a doozey! Killer insects are appearing and laying siege on an island archipelago, intent on killing the human race. Swarms of bugs singing “Genocide… Genocide”, a missing H-Bomb, interracial romance and Jewish holocaust vengeance all mix into a head scratching, gonzo film that on top of all that, manages to be hilariously fun and incredibly bleak at the same time. I know that I will never be able to fully understand this type of Japanese genre cinema, but I sure do love it!

10-28 069 Q: The Winged Serpent (1982) 3.5/5
Viewed this one with the parents, wrongly remembering it as a fun monster romp. It IS a fun monster romp, but it’s also a lot more gory than I remembered with skin flayings and what not. I also forgot that mum has an irrational hate for anything remotely dinosaur, you’d think a brontosaurus stomped out the family farm in her childhood or something, so this one was a big mistake all around. Mum was asking me if that’s what the flying dinosaurs were like afterwards, I couldn’t talk her down. Anyway, it was ultimately enjoyed, but mum sure found it unpleasant. It was fun to revisit, David Carradine appears coked out of his brains, but it still works.
Mum Scare Factor: 4/5

10-29 070 What’s The Matter With Helen? (1971) 2/5
If you’re looking for a mash up of “Whatever Happened To Baby Jane” and “Of Mice and Men” that never really works, this is for you. It has adorable Debbie Reynolds and not as adorable Shelley Winters as sisters in the 30’s trying to start a new life by opening a tap dancing school. You get to see Reynolds do some tap, which is always nice, but the thing just kind of rambles on, never really building suspense and having a made for TV feel that is rarely a good thing for films from the 70’s.

10-29 071 The Vagrant (1992) 2/5
I recall seeing this kicking around the video stores in the 90’s. It looked ridiculous, so I never rented it. I could have rented it, it was never “out”. Now I own it via Scream Factories “All Night Horror Marathon Vol 1”. I love Bill Paxton, and he is a lot of fun here as a yuppie who is being terrorized by gross, murderous vagrant… or is he? This one is a black comedy that sadly plays up the campiness instead of actually being campy, which for me is the death knell for any film. I’m thinking at the $7.99 each these two volumes of Horror Marathons cost me, they still might of been a waste of money. Disc one was anyways, I’ll find out about disc two tomorrow.

10-29 072 The Fall Of The House Of Usher (1960) 4.5/5
My Vincent Price bluray set FINALLY arrived yesterday, so I got more films suitable to watch with the parents! They were on the cusp of seeing “Prince of Darkness” and “Red State”. Anyway, this one can easily be called Roger Corman’s masterpiece. One of the great gothic horrors, the tight script and performances, especially Price as the mad brother, work despite the cheapness that regardless of budget is visible in every film Corman film. As per usual, after being impressed by the film, I wonder what happened to all those cool family Usher portraits. I want them in my house! This one really impressed the parents, and the morbidity of the second half of the film really had mum going to. So a total success!

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
31. Citadel (FTV)A widowed father with agoraphobia is haunted by visions of his wife's killers, who may be more than what they seem. Better-than-decent entry to the "hoodie horror" genre, so if you liked "Them/Ils", "Eden Lake", or even "Attack the Block", you'll enjoy this one. This one starts as a seeming examination of fear itself, as we're not sure if the protagonist is imagining his fears or if they really exist--not original theme, but the main actor's performance sells it quite convincingly. Things pick up speed he teams up with a foul-mouthed priest and a blind boy with special powers. This movie is sort of a combination of "Candyman's" urban blight and "Repulsion's" claustrophobic paranoia and is very effective overall. The main source of menace comes from hooded jawa-like beings reminiscent of "Phantasm", but the bleak settings of the decaying projects contribute most to the depressingly bleak and creepy atmosphere. A nice little find! 4 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2013 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing1. Some Guy Who Kills People (FTV)2. Uzumaki (FTV)3. The Pact (2011) (FTV)4. Midnight Son (FTV)5. Excision (FTV)6. Absentia (FTV)7. Sleep Tight (FTV)8. Lunacy (FTV)9. Frankenstein's Army (FTV)10. The Woman in Black (FTV)11. Color Me Blood Red (FTV)12. Chained (FTV)13. Frankenweenie14. Mum and Dad (FTV)15. Malevolence (FTV)16. V/H/S/2 (FTV)17. Juan of the Dead (FTV)18. The Awakening (FTV)19. Blood and Black Lace (FTV)20. Naboer (Next Door) (FTV)21. Carrie (2013) (FTV)22. Eye of the Devil (FTV)23. Splinter (FTV)24. The Shining (1980)25. Taxidermia (FTV)26. Poltergeist27. Maniac (FTV)28. Hotel Transylvania (FTV)29. Eden Lake (FTV)30. The Tunnel (FTV)31. Citadel (FTV)

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
27/10/13: THE MASTER OF HORROR {1965 Re-Edited U.S. Version} (Enrique Carreras, 1959) **1/2

This is another title I happened upon by pure chance on “You Tube”: an Argentinian genre effort that was typically retouched and distributed in the U.S. (in its case, by noted exploitationer Jack H. Harris). Still, I was annoyed to learn that – being really a three-part compendium inspired by Edgar Allan Poe stories and, dating from either 1959 or 1960 (depending on which source you read) instead of 1965 (as I had been led to believe) – it actually predates Roger Corman’s similar TALES OF TERROR (1962)! It is all the more baffling, then, that the two remaining episodes here, namely “The Case Of Mr. Valdemar” and “A Cask Of Amontillado”, also formed part of the afore-mentioned AIP anthology (though the latter adaptation was renamed “The Black Cat” and, obviously, incorporates elements from its famous namesake in the tortured author’s canon)! For the record, the dropped third act revolved around “The Tell-Tale Heart”, though it is solely available online in unsubtitled Spanish (as is the film in its undiluted form); this led the running-time to be reduced from anywhere between 115 and 122 minutes – the internet proves unreliable on this aspect as well – to a rather brusque 59! I did acquire the uncut version after viewing this and, randomly checking it out, I notice there is additional footage in the other segments, too! Anyway, the end result is not too bad considering, albeit decidedly uneven. The first half is superior: reasonably atmospheric and with star Narciso Ibanez Menta ideally cast (and made-up) as the mesmerist keeping a dying man in a state of suspended animation; the latter’s grave (no pun intended) voice is suitably unsettling, too. The second one starts off a bore, with the bland charlatan and his equally insipid romancing – but, as soon as the revenge takes over (even if Menta’s look this time around, as the slighted husband, is somewhat unflattering!), it gets back on steady ground; best of all is the very last revelation, involving the fate of the protagonist’s faithless wife, an image strong enough to make the film’s U.S. poster! Incidentally, I should have recalled Ibanez Menta from THE DRACULA SAGA (1973), but I was also surprised to discover that he had starred in a 1952 rendition of Nicholas Blake’s pulp thriller “The Beast Must Die”…which would later serve as the basis of arguably Claude Chabrol’s masterpiece from 1969! The cast also includes the almost similarly-named Narciso Ibanez Serrador, who would go on to achieve a cult reputation as the director of THE HOUSE THAT SCREAMED (1969) and WHO CAN KILL A CHILD? (1976)! Finally, I should point out that the movie is framed by sequences featuring a maid left alone in a large house, who chooses to while away the night reading from Poe while a storm rages outside.

27/10/13: NBC MATINEE` THEATER: THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER {TV} (Boris Sagal, 1956) **1/2

This was no fewer than the fifth adaptation of the famous Poe tale that I have watched during this Halloween Challenge (the others dated from 1966, 1979, 1981 and 1982 {Jan Svankmajer}) and the tenth overall (following my past viewing of the two 1928 versions, as well as the 1949, 1960 and 1982 {Jesus Franco} ones)! As such, it ranks among the lesser half of these but, interestingly enough, it is only the third stab at the narrative to emanate from the author’s native country! Naturally, being closer in chronology and likewise filmed in colour, this one especially evokes the feel of the seminal Roger Corman/Vincent Price take on it…but comes up short in comparison in a few major aspects, most notably the central casting! While the character of Madeleine is well enough defined, Tom Tryon exudes too much of a pretty boy image, albeit a fittingly brooding one, to truly register in the mind and, as for the interloper, Marshall Thompson looks fairly out-of-place here! Eduardo Ciannelli, then, lends reliable support as the family doctor and, for the record, there is even the figure of an androgynous(!) caretaker on hand! All in all, it gets the essence of the story across and, unlike some of the ones that came before and after, sticks close to the source – but, for this very reason, ultimately emerges an uninspired rendition of Poe’s horror classic, albeit remaining eminently watchable for the duration. In the end, I should point out that director Sagal would also tackle Poe’s “The Tell-Tale Heart” for this TV series and, as for “…Usher” itself, I am interested in checking out at least 5 more films inspired by it: the 1979 made-for-TV one with Martin Landau; the 1989 one with Oliver Reed and Donald Pleasence, and produced by Harry Alan Towers; Ken Russell’s idiosyncratic THE FALL OF THE LOUSE OF USHER (2002); and Curtis Harrington’s two efforts, dating from 1942 and 2002, that effectively book-ended his career.

28/10/13: NBC MATINEE` THEATER: DARK OF THE MOON {TV} (Albert McCleery, 1957) **1/2

This one is a genuine curiosity, a hysterical “Southern Gothic” tale that really plays like a horror-oriented Tennessee Williams melodrama! It makes for offbeat viewing, to be sure, with an intriguing premise about a strapping young “witchboy” (Tom Tryon), overseeing the backwoods with a trio of likewise ‘gifted’ women, who falls for a local girl (Gloria Talbott) and wishing to become human; his more experienced companions, however, make a wager that he will not last a year in that guise and that she herself will be unfaithful before then! Needless to say, their prophecy comes true – the couple even have an infant (never seen) which is deemed a witch and burned by its own grandmother! Tryon pleads with the leader of the sorceresses to give him another chance…but the other two had already seen this coming and asked the eldest for Talbott’s life in such an eventuality! Again, this fact comes to pass with, in the end, the protagonist reverting to form and actually having no recollection of what has occurred – even mocking the corpse of his own wife lying there! Though supposedly shot in colour, this has become so washed-out with time that it could be mistaken for monochrome! As I said, the film is not without interest – but the overall tone is so over-the-top that, along with the drawling accents of all involved, the experience emerges a tiresome and altogether unpleasant one...like an Ozark antecedent of ROSEMARY'S BABY (1968)!

28/10/13: LIGHTS OUT: THE DEVIL IN GLENCAIRN {TV; Short} (Laurence Schwab, Jr., 1951) **1/2

By pure chance, I followed DARK OF THE MOON (1957; TV) with this similar effort about dark forces threatening the life of a tradition-bound community, in this case Scotland. The hero is a prime bagpipe player (Richard Carlson) but an impoverished one, who cannot afford to pay the rent due his unforgiving laird. An impish diabolical presence turns up to help him but, when he reappears before the master with his bag of money, the latter expires before having signed a receipt…so that, as soon as his successor arrives, he demands double the amount owed his estate! The devil persuades Carlson to go to Hell and retrieve an acknowledgment of his past payment from the former landowner – which, if not accepted by his heir, Carlson is to forfeit his soul! Of course, things go exactly the way we expect them under the circumstances, and soon the netherworld minion resurfaces to collect…but Carlson picks up his bagpipes and takes to playing the Lord’s Hymn, which naturally drives away the evil influence (which disappears in the proverbial puff of smoke)! The film, inspired by a Sir Walter Scott original, is an entertaining little item – making “Lights Out” another series to watch from the early days of TV, along with the likes of “Climax!”, “Suspense” and “Tales Of Tomorrow” that I had already sampled over the years…

29/10/13: THE SINS OF DORIAN GRAY {TV} (Tony Maylam, 1983) **1/2

Just as R.L. Stevenson’s quintessential dual-personality tale was revamped by Hammer as DR. JEKYLL AND SISTER HYDE (1971), it was not inconceivable that Oscar Wilde’s similar narrative would be rethought on distaff lines. The result is quite tolerable under the circumstances but, emanating from the Rankin/Bass stable (renowned for animated kiddie fare!), it was deemed to have merely scraped the surface of what was basically a critique of the moral decay overtaking Victorian society (epitomized by the notorious Jack The Ripper killings). Not unexpectedly, then, the theme of the novel was updated to contemporary times and transposed to the glitzy fashion world of L.A. (making the whole feel rather like a typical “Emmanuelle” entry but without the copious nudity!): here, the protagonist becomes a modeling celebrity but, unwisely, the all-important “picture” is made out to be screen-test footage, cue unconvincing make-up effects to illustrate its increasing degeneration and, played over and over during the course of the movie, it proves quite enervating! Therein, however, lays its major problem: since the plot is supposed to unfold in the space of 30 years, the look (sets, costumes, hairstyles) throughout never changes to reflect this passage of time, which history books attest to having been pretty considerable! Anyway, the film essentially rests on the shoulders of its variable cast – led by Anthony Perkins in the Lord Henry Wotton persona (creatively redubbed Henry Lord!) and Belinda Bauer (not too bad considering, but perhaps managing best the bitchy aspects of the title role, and which would subsequently typecast her!). Olga Karlatos appears as Perkins’ wife and rival(!) for Dorian’s services (and affections?), Joseph Bottoms the pseudo-singer/pianist who captures her heart if only for a little while (precipitating his suicide) and Michael Ironside is the photographer eventually reduced to ‘cleaning up’ after her. For what it is worth, we are even treated to a cheesy title song which, again, is picked up ad nauseam along the way!

29/10/13: MANFISH {Black-And-White Version} (W. Lee Wilder, 1956) **

Although its title would lead one to expect a poor man's CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (1954), the uninitiated could not be blamed for refuting this film’s claim as Horror; however, they only have to look at the source of the script – two tales by Edgar Allan Poe, namely “The Gold Bug” and “The Tell-Tale Heart”; it is a decidedly clever blending of, frankly, highly disparate narratives and one that – on paper, at least – works better than it ought to! The fact that the end result is not so great, then, reflects more on the film-makers’ talent (or lack thereof) in putting the various elements together; one wonders just what the director’s more famous brother, Billy, would have crafted out of it! The first storyline, dealing with the hunt for pirate treasure, is adequately delineated – accentuated by ample underwater footage that, rather squeamishly, involves the capture of large sea turtles (years before CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST {1980}!); the second – relegated to the last 10 minutes or so – picks up after the two main characters have a definite falling-out and one is haunted by the ‘noisy’ ripples in the water directly above the spot where the other lays buried! Would-be ladies’ man John Bromfield makes for a thoroughly unsympathetic lead, while Victor Jory – growing progressively more intense – is suitably sinister as the loot-mad Professor; Lon Chaney Jr. as “Swede” competently recreates his famous Lennie persona from OF MICE AND MEN (1939), which he could practically do in his sleep by then, and he does come off as grating eventually – but he manages a hilarious moment when he forces his contemptuous captain to wipe a gob of spit with his own foot off the floor of the titular rickety vessel, which the burly and fading genre star venerates as if it were a woman! Though the Caribbean locale allows for adequate locale colour, this is over-emphasized throughout via a number of resistible exotic tunes – which, along with Bromfield’s equally unappetizing romantic dallying – definitely proves the film’s low point! By the way, though the end credits clearly state this to have been shot in the DeLuxe colour process, apparently all surviving copies are in black-and-white!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Russell G said:
10-28 069 Q: The Winged Serpent (1982) 3.5/5
Viewed this one with the parents, wrongly remembering it as a fun monster romp. It IS a fun monster romp, but it’s also a lot more gory than I remembered with skin flayings and what not. I also forgot that mum has an irrational hate for anything remotely dinosaur, you’d think a brontosaurus stomped out the family farm in her childhood or something, so this one was a big mistake all around. Mum was asking me if that’s what the flying dinosaurs were like afterwards, I couldn’t talk her down. Anyway, it was ultimately enjoyed, but mum sure found it unpleasant. It was fun to revisit, David Carradine appears coked out of his brains, but it still works.
:laugh: I shouldn't laugh so hard, I think I have a weak heart.
I want to get the new Blu-Ray of this movie.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
094) 10/28/2013 Beast from Haunted Cave (1959)
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2

Thieves plan their escape route via the snowy mountains of Deadwood, South Dakota, not realizing title fiend lies in wait. Some really great, witty dialogue here along with solid performances. Needed more monster attacks to really score.

095) 10/28/2013 Terror Is A Man (1959)
skull.gif
skull.gif

Reworking of Island of Lost Souls has shipwreck survivor saved by mad scientist. As a thank you the ungrateful jerk starts an affair with the doctor's wife. Meanwhile man-panther hybrid is on the prowl. Not terribly exciting in the whole, although Francis Lederer is fine in the Moreau-like part.

096) 10/28/2013 The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake (1959)
skull.gif
skull.gif

Family curse threatens to shrink the head of Jonathan Drake. If the direction had been atmospheric in the least this really might have been something. Just OK. Having Henry Daniell as the chief baddie helps though.

097) 10/29/2013 The Stranglers of Bombay (1959)
skull.gif
skull.gif
skull.gif

Solid Hammer offering with Guy Rolfe battling the Thugee cult in 19th century India. Pretty gruesome, with eye burning, tongue removal, gut slicing, etc. The climax has a character do an unconvincing about-face which slightly mars the film.

098) 10/29/2013 The Curse of Nostradamus (1959)
skull.gif
1/2

A 12 part Mexican serial was divided into four separate films. This is the first. German Robles from El Vampiro is the title character, a vampire, who insists his ancestor get some respect from a noted debunker of superstitions . Otherwise, Nostradamus will murder 13 people. Character actions are contradictory and ridiculous at the same time, and the movie repeats itself too much.

099) 10/29/2013 Night of the Ghouls (1959) No
skull.gif

Ed Wood is too easy a target, but this sequel to Bride of the Monster is the pits. Cops hear there are ghosts at the house once inhabited by Bela Lugosi's character from Bride of the Monster. So they investigate, sort of, and discover phony swami. Poor dialogue, unclear perspectives, less-than-stellar acting, and everything else one Wood expect.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I'm a few days behind in updating...again.

Revisited the original Evil Dead. What a glorious piece of low-budget filmmaking. Raimi may have lost some of his vision/charm in the last 10 years or so, but there is no denying how gifted he was in making this. And can there ever be too much Bruce Campbell…I say no way.

Watched Child’s Play 3 as part of the box set I am reviewing. Weak entry, almost unlikeable in its quest for movie-goer cash by churning out flavourless horror.

Seed of Chucky the next night. Entertaining. A little camp and worthy attempt at being Meta. I thought Billy Boyd voicing Glen/Glenda was bloody terrific. That Ed Wood joke was wrung for all it was worth too.

Curse of Chucky (again, part of the box set I’m reviewing) was better than expected. A return to more traditional horror but it wears its influences on its sleeve (mostly the new wave of serious horror from the likes of James Wan). Still, for a direct to video entry in the series it holds up well.

Watched The Shining on the 25th. Glorious, glorious film. I am not really a big fan of Stephen King’s work so the changes that Kubrick made could only enhance the viewing experience for me. And what a masterful creation this film is. Certainly one of the best films made. Ever.

Followed up with Evil Dead 2 on the 26th. So, so good. Even more inventive than the original film and because there is considerably more Bruce Campbell, this rockets to the best in the series.

Then The Host – the Korean monster movie. Brilliant film with dimensional characters and more heart and laughs than any other monster movie I can recall.

On the 28th I watched a double dose of Friday the 13th. Started with Part III and followed it with perhaps the best in the series, The Final Chapter. Enjoyed both. Haven’t seen the Friday the 13th movies in years so it was fund to go back there.

Last night I thoroughly enjoyed 1978s Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Loved it! Donald Sutherland and Jeff Goldblum were terrific, as was Brooke Adams, Leonard Nimoy and Veronica Cartwright. Expertly shot and crafted to create a tangible sense of paranoia and inevitability. Excellent film.

Monthly Tally:
October 1: Re-Animator (1985) - 4 out of 5
October 2: The Frankenstein Theory (2013) - 2 out of 5
October 3: The Changeling (1980) - 4 out of 5
October 4: Darkness Falls (2003) - 2 out of 5
October 5: This Is the End (2013) - 3.5 out of 5
October 6: From Hell (2001) - 3.5 out of 5
October 7: Absentia (2011) - 4 out of 5
October 8: Europa Report (2013) - 4 out of 5
October 9: Don't Look Now (1973) - 4.5 out of 5
October 10: Child's Play 2 (1990) - 3.5 out of 5
October 11: Bride of Chucky (1998) - 3.5 out of 5
October 12: Rosemary's Baby (1968) - 5 out of 5
October 13: The Innkeepers (2011) - 4 out of 5 and Session 9 (2001) - 4 out of 4
October 14: The Blob (1988) - 3.5 out of 5
October 15: Below (2002) - 3.5 out of 5, The Fly (1986) - 4.5 out of 5
October 16: The Fly II (1989) - 3 out of 5
October 17: The Colony (2013) - 3.5 out of 5
October 18: Cat People (1982) - 3.5 out of 5
October 19: Evil Dead (2013) - 4 out of 5
October 20: Amityville II: The Possession (1982) - 2 out of 5 / Room 237 (2012) 4 out of 5
October 21: Evil Dead (1981) - 4 out of 5
October 22: Child's Play 3 (1991) - 4 out of 5
October 23: Seed of Chucky (2014) - 4 out of 5
October 24: Curse of Chucky (2013) - 4 out of 5
October 25: The Shining (1980) - 4 out of 5
October 26: Evil Dead 2 (1987) - 4 out of 5
October 27: The Host (2006) - 4 out of 5
October 28: Friday the 13th Part III (1982) - 4 out of 5 / Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984) 3.5 out of 5
October 29: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - 4 out of 5

Interspersed through the month so far are the following episodes of Millennium - Season One (1996):
S1: E3: 'Dead Letters' - 4 out of 5
S1: E4: 'Kingdom Come' - 3.5 out of 5
S1: E5: 'The Judge' - 4 out of 5
S1: E6: '522666' - 4 out of 5
S1: E7: 'Blood Relatives' - 4 out of 5
S1: E8: 'The Well-Worn Lock' - 4.5 out of 5

The Walking Dead
S4: E1: '30 Days Without an Accident' - 4 out of 5
S4: E2: ‘Infected’ – 4 out of 5
S4: E3: ‘Isolation’ – 4 out of 5

Ghost Ghirls
S1: E1: Home is where the Haunt is - 4.5 out of 5
S1: E2: Hooker with a Heart of Ghoul - 4 out of 5
S1: E3: Field of Screams - 3.5 out of 5
S1: E4: Will You Scary Me? - 4 out of 5
S1: E5: Ghost Writer - 3 out of 5
S1: E6: I Believe in Mira-ghouls - 3 out of 5

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Re: V/H/S/2

It's not that I hated the "cult" episode but I thought everything leading up to the weirdness and violence was just rather bland. I do hope they turn this out each year because I think the entire idea is quite fun.

Re: Curse of Chucky

I'm glad most people seem to be enjoying this film. Why it went straight-to-video is rather nuts considering it's actually good and there really weren't many horror movies getting a wide release this month.

Astro Zombies: M4 - Invasion from Cyberspace (2012) **

The fourth film in the series (!!!!!) has director Ted V. Mikels back in the director's chair. The story starts off on the World of the Astro Zombies where the zombie leaders are talking about the various ways they've tried to destroy Earth but have failed. We then learn that their latest plan involves attacking humans through the internet, cell phone and other devices that they use each and everyday. ASTRO ZOMBIES: M4 isn't going to win any major awards but I must say that it kept me entertained from start to finish and that it's easily the best film in the series. Yes, I know that might not be saying too much but there's just a certain charm here that's hard to deny if you've enjoyed the director's work or at least find him charming. I'm always thought Mikels was an excellent person to listen to because of the joy he brings to a conversation and that there is fully on display here. I'm guessing the budget was just a few thousands dollars here but instead of letting that hold anything bad, instead the director takes it and actually uses it to his benefit. The special effects here are downright awful. They look fake. They're cheap and they just are so downright bad on every level. However, none of that is a negative thing because the director takes these cheesy effects and makes them fun. When you see the Astro Zombies blast someone whose head then blows off...it's rather funny. The scenes of humans melting into skeletons are down so cheaply but it's fun. The entire film seems to have been made so that Mikels could gather up some friends and have fun. Obviously this means many of the performances are horrid with several people having trouble getting through their lines but this really doesn't matter as it just adds to the charm. As with the previous films, this one here has some over-the-top gore, which helps keep things moving. Obviously those seeking "serious" cinema are going to hate this film but this is the perfect excuse to kick back with a few beers and have fun.

Zombie Night (2013) *

The Asylum are back and this time they're brought an Oscar-winner with them. The "story" is pretty simple as a zombie outbreak happens but the good news is that people just have to survive until the sun comes up. It turns out that these zombies are just out for one night so a group of people must try to survive not only the zombies but each other. ZOMBIE NIGHT certainly isn't NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD but I personally didn't expect it to be. You've gotta have rather low expectations when it comes to these films to appear on SyFy but there's certainly no excuse for a film to be this bad. There are all sorts of issues with this movie but the real criminal is the screenplay, which is just downright confusing and boring. The "plot" deals with about three different families who find themselves battling the zombies and then each other. I'm guessing this was originally meant to tell three separate stories and then bring them together (ala PULP FICTION) but it fails horribly. The entire film is just very sloppy in regards to the story and quite often you're sitting there dumbfounded trying to figure out what's going on and why so many humans are acting so stupid. Horror movies need characters to do dumb things but these here are just too dumb for their own good. The direction really doesn't add any excitement as the entire thing just has a rather slow feel to it. The shocking thing is that even the zombies are rather lame because they just don't have anything that sets them apart from the countless other films in the genre. The gore level is pretty high and there are a few nice death scenes, which at least keeps the entertainment going a little. Daryl Hannah and Anthony Michael Hall are the main stars here and it's nice seeing both of them even if their talents are wasted. Oscar-winner Shirley Jones (ELMER GANTRY) appears here briefly and even gets to spit out some blood. Rachel G. Fox rounds out the cast and is fun to watch. ZOMBIE NIGHT is about as bad as you can get but sadly it doesn't reach a "so bad it's good" level like many other films from The Asylum.

Hard to Die (1990) **

Unofficial third film in the SORORITY HOUSE MASSACRE series features most of the same cast as the second film, although they're all in new roles (obviously). The story is pretty simple as five ladies dressed in lingerie's must fight off a killer while trapped inside a skyscraper. HARD TO DIE is a pretty silly and over-the-top film that is quite campy from the first scene to the last but what else would you expect from director Jim Wynorski? Like the previous film, this one here has a few confusing moments dealing with a completely different series. The Orville Ketchum (Peter Spellos) character from the previous film is introduced here as the "suspect" from the "previous events" but when he tells the story of what happened that night, instead of using clips from SORORITY HOUSE MASSACRE II they instead use clips from THE SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE. I'm not exactly sure why this was done as the story here perfectly concludes what happened at the end of the previous one but oh well. As for HARD TO DIE, it's a fairly entertaining movie as long as you don't take it too serious. The five actresses obviously all have big boobs and they're constantly shaking around throughout the 78-minute running time. The actresses are all good for what they're asked to do and this includes one of the most obvious "shower scenes" in the history of horror movies. Forrest J. Ackerman has a brief bit as does Wynorski who plays a porn director. Spellos is a lot of fun as the suspected killer who is constantly scaring the girls no matter what he's doing. There's a long-running gag dealing with him scaring the girls, which is pretty funny and we get an even longer running gag dealing with his constantly being shot, beaten, stabbed and yet he can never die. The gore level isn't all that high and you never really see any deaths on screen as we usually just hear a scream and then blood being splashed on the wall. The film eventually runs out of steam and especially when you consider this is pretty much just the previous movie only just set in a skyscraper. Either way, fans of trashy and silly direct-to-video movies should get a few laughs out of it.

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
First Time Viewings in Red
Films
10-1-13
1. Cat People (1982) (4/5)
10-3-13
2. Ministry Of Fear (1944) (4/5)
3. Watership Down (1978) (4.5/5)
10-4-13
4. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956) (5/5)
10-7-13
5. Island Of Lost Souls (1932) (4/5)
10-10-13
6. The Other (1972) (4.5/5)
10-11-13
7. Dead Of Night (1945) (5/5)
10-12-13
8. Repo Man (1984) (4/5)
10-17-13
9. The Wages Of Fear (1953) (4/5)
10-18-13
10. The Cat And The Canary (1927) (4/5)
10-19-13
11. House (1977) (5/5)
10-22-13
12. Dracula (1931) (4/5)
10-24-13
13. Psychomania (1973) (4/5)
10-25-13
14. Raw Meat (1973) (4/5)
10-26-13
15. The Bride Of Frankenstein (1935) (5/5)
16. Fiend Without a Face (1958) (3.5/5)
17. Evil Dead (2013) (3/5)
10-27-13
18. Mark Of The Vampire (1935) (4/5)
19. The Mask Of Fu Manchu (1932) (3.5/5)
20. The Brides Of Dracula (1960) (4/5)
21. 20 Million Miles To Earth (1957) (2.5/5)
10-29-13
22. Phantom Of The Paradise (1974) (5/5)
23. Night Of The Living Dead (1968) (5/5)
10-30-13
24. Dawn of The Dead (1978) (5/5)
25. Day Of The Dead (1985) (5/5)
26. The Fog (1980) (5/5)
Television Shows
10-3-13
1. The Walking Dead: Made To Suffer
10-11-13
2. Doctor Who: Terror Of The Zygons Part One (Director's Cut)
10-14-13
3. Doctor Who: The Enemy Of The World Episode One
10-15-13
4. Doctor Who: The Enemy Of The World Episode Two
10-16-13
5. Doctor Who: The Enemy Of The World Episode Three
10-28-13
6.Doctor Who: The Enemy Of The World Episode Four
7.Doctor Who: The Enemy Of The World Episode Five
8.Doctor Who: The Enemy Of The World Episode Six
9.Doctor Who: The Web Of Fear Episode One
10. Doctor Who: The Web Of Fear Episode Two
11. Doctor Who: The Web Of Fear Episode Three (Reconstruction)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Bryan^H said:
:laugh: I shouldn't laugh so hard, I think I have a weak heart.
I want to get the new Blu-Ray of this movie.
Thanks, I should try to record her watching "Jurassic Park", that one was ridiculous too. :P

Going into the final day of the challenge, so I'm posting the movies I've watched up to now since I might not get on tomorrow. MUST WATCH ALL THE MOVIES BEFORE HANDING OUT CANDY! :rolling-smiley:

10-30 073 The Godsend (1980) 1.5/5
10-30 074 The Outing (1987) 1/5
These are the last two movies on Scream Factories All Night Horror Movie Marathon Vol One set. Godsend is a very, very British take on “The Bad Seed”, and The Outing is about a magic lamp and both are dead ass boring chores to sit through and I don't want to write anything more about them. At $8, this DVD set was still a bit of a rip-off.

10-30 075 The Incredible Melting Man (1977) 3/5
I probably think this is better than it really is after having my brains pounded by the previous two films, but this was pretty fun. It’s stupid, but it’s a proper monster movie, and the monster is ridiculously gross and gross things happen. Which is good enough for me!

10-30 076 The Pit & The Pendulum (1961) 4/5
I can’t believe I hadn’t seen this one before, I thought I owned it in a previous Price set but alas, it was new! Another great Poe adaptation by Corman, and Vincent Price was especially great as the emotionally exhausted Nicholas. Two films in and this bluray set is already way better value than that stupid horror marathon chore. The folks really liked this one too, with mum, of course getting way too into the ending and yelling at the girl to hurry up and get through the door to save the day. Then she said it must of cost a lot to build the castle, and got mad at me when I told her it was just a bunch of rooms on a set and that the exterior was probably just a painting. “But they go down to the torture chamber, that’s really stupid if they didn’t build it.”
Mum Scare Factor 4/5

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
67. The Fly (1986)

A scientist plays god with the usual horrible repercussions. Excellent direction (from David Cronenberg), top notch performances (Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis) and great monster & gore effects. One of the best horror movies of the 1980's.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
100) 10/30/2013 B The Mummy (1959)
skull.gif
skull.gif
skull.gif

Hammer's amalgam of all the Universal Mummy movies is a beautifully produced piece of work. When the tomb of Princess Ananka is desecrated by an English expedition, the mummy Kharis (a frightening Christopher Lee) is unleashed to seek revenge. Next to the 1932 Karloff classic this is probably the best mummy film there is, with Lee kicking butt. Peter Cushing is the hero.

101) 10/30/2013 B Eyes Without A Face (1959)
skull.gif
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2

Haunting chiller about ingenious surgeon whose daughter is disfigured in an automobile accident. So he kidnaps young women to perform skin graft operations. Classic French horror film is loaded with striking images, a detailed look at a skin graft operation, and other gruesomeness.

102) 10/30/2013 B Night of the Scarecrow (1995)
skull.gif
skull.gif

I realize we're supposed to watch new films during the challenge, but I don't like taking the risk of watching stinkers (unless they're enjoyable in spite of their problems) and ruining my Halloween cheer. This one was just OK, and I generally love movies with villainous scarecrows. Here though the use of a scarecrow to represent the embodiment of an evil, vengeful force feels like an afterthought. The Goodman family has a terrible secret involving their ancestors that comes to light when a scarecrow starts bumping them off in grisly ways. It's a fast paced but familiar ride through the horror book of cliches (cars won't start, guys leave their girls alone just long enough to be killed). Beloved character actor John Hawkes (The Sessions, Winter's Bone) has a role as town trouble maker.

Tomorrow it's a marathon of Michael Myers madness until I pass out.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
185.JPG

Splatter University(1984)

A decent, low budget slasher that has an attractive cast, and hits all the right notes. The college atmosphere makes for a good party vibe, its just a shame that It is so predictable as to who the killer is.
Grade-B-

Killer Party(1986)

UGH, an awesome HD transfer on SD MOD DVD for a horror movie I really like. I wish Shout Factory had a hold of this so it would be a pressed Blu-Ray disc. Anyway, another college themed slasher that focuses on a handful of girls getting amped up for a big party toward the end of the film with people getting picked off along the way. Decent actors, and a shocker of an ending. Things turn from typical to demonic in a hurry, and after that all bets are off.
The soundtrack is verrryyy 80's. the hair metal band at the beginning "White Sister" is good for a laugh(Whitesnake/Twisted Sister?) and the Go Go's inspired clone band is also decent.
Grade-A-

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
32. The Revenant (FTV)
Hilarious movie! A soldier killed in combat is shipped home and buried, but he comes back to life. Problem is, he's rotting and has a craving for human blood. This is a buddy movie and at times feels like an American version of Shaun of the Dead, but it really has its own identity and twisted sense of humor. Eventually he and his friend realize they can use his immortality for good and become vigilantes who bump off the bad guys--oh, and then they drain them of their blood. I am really surprised I hadn't heard much buzz about this movie, given how fun it was. Not only was I laughing out loud much of the time, there were some seriously cool gore scenes, particularly in the 2nd half where there was quite a bit of completely gratuitous violence. The only thing that hampered the movie was that it was a bit too long at 114 minutes, some of the redundant or slower scenes could have been tightened up, and the tone was uneven at times. These are nitpicks though because I really liked this movie and will likely buy it if I can find a better version (the rented Netflix DVD I used didn't look very good). 4 out of 5 stars.

33. Vampyr
Classic but lesser-known vampire film from the early 30's when sound in cinema was still relatively new. The camera moves around with a fluidity that is startling for an older film, and the highlight of the film for me is a harrowing first-person scene (from the coffin) of being buried alive. There are many disorienting effects used involving shadows, backwards filming, and double-exposures that add to the creepy yet somehow artistic effect. Directed by Carl Theodor Dryer, who went on to direct the acclaimed "The Passion of Joan of Arc". 4 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2013 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. Some Guy Who Kills People (FTV)
2. Uzumaki (FTV)
3. The Pact (2011) (FTV)
4. Midnight Son (FTV)
5. Excision (FTV)
6. Absentia (FTV)
7. Sleep Tight (FTV)
8. Lunacy (FTV)
9. Frankenstein's Army (FTV)
10. The Woman in Black (FTV)
11. Color Me Blood Red (FTV)
12. Chained (FTV)
13. Frankenweenie
14. Mum and Dad (FTV)
15. Malevolence (FTV)
16. V/H/S/2 (FTV)
17. Juan of the Dead (FTV)
18. The Awakening (FTV)
19. Blood and Black Lace (FTV)
20. Naboer (Next Door) (FTV)
21. Carrie (2013) (FTV)
22. Eye of the Devil (FTV)
23. Splinter (FTV)
24. The Shining (1980)
25. Taxidermia (FTV)
26. Poltergeist
27. Maniac (FTV)
28. Hotel Transylvania (FTV)
29. Eden Lake (FTV)
30. The Tunnel (FTV)
31. Citadel (FTV)
32. The Revenant (FTV)
33. Vampyr

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Wednesday, October 30thMOVIES:64. Evil Dead (2013)(N) Watchable remake. Not bad... It's actually kind of scary. A sequel on down the line would be okay with me. But... I heard Army of Darkness 2 is getting worked out. That sounds like a bullseye shot with the old boomstick! (pfft, Sam! get Bruce in these please.. a little teaser at the very end won't do it... ) 65. Contamination .7 (1990)(N) After 45 minutes of laughter and poking fun, I just got tuckered out...it was the lame effects and dizzying editing, and horrible acting from Sheriff Buford T. Dubbed. Just too much. For me I feel like I just got Contamination .4 out of it. :( This isn't quite up to the standards of, say... a Squirm! Ya got to have yer standards! I hope the rest on this Scream Factory set are better. I remember kind of sort of liking Dungeon Master. The other 2 look like this one. I'll definitely me more in the mood after October. Too chancy for stuff like this. TV:69-72. Dark Shadows. #128-131 Continuing to like Burke more...but now Sam much less.. this is nuts...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Dead Silence
Grade: B-
Beware the stare of Mary Shaw.
She had no children, only dolls.
And if you see her in your dreams,
Be sure to never, ever scream.

A ventriloquist dummy is mysteriously delivered to Jamie Ashen (Ryan Kwanten). There's no return address or other information. Not thinking much about it, he leaves to pick up some restaurant take-out, but when he returns he finds his wife dead. Her face has been grotesquely deformed into that of a puppet and her tongue is ripped out. A closer search of the dummy and the delivery box reveals he was one of Mary Shaw's puppets, a ventriloquist from Jamie's hometown of Ravens Fair who was murdered by the locals after she was suspected of kidnapping and murdering a child who heckled her from the audience at one performance. Jamie discovers that Mary Shaw may be dead, but she is not gone, and she wants revenge. Can he figure out his connection to Mary Shaw before she takes his life...and his tongue?

Probably the lesser of all the films from the James Wan/Leigh Whannell team responsible for SAW and Insidious, but still entertaining. Rushed into production after the success of SAW, the guys admit in hindsight it was not a great experience (their first time working with a major studio - Universal) and not their best work as they were stressed out by trying to meet the deadlines of the deal before they even had a script or even a coherent idea for a film. But there is still some good atmosphere, makeup effects, and its a decent entry into the evil doll/puppet genre even if the story and details are somewhat weak. I think with more time to polish the story, this could have been a much better film.

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
First Time Viewings in Red
Films
10-1-13
1. Cat People (1982) (4/5)
10-3-13
2. Ministry Of Fear (1944) (4/5)
3. Watership Down (1978) (4.5/5)
10-4-13
4. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956) (5/5)
10-7-13
5. Island Of Lost Souls (1932) (4/5)
10-10-13
6. The Other (1972) (4.5/5)
10-11-13
7. Dead Of Night (1945) (5/5)
10-12-13
8. Repo Man (1984) (4/5)
10-17-13
9. The Wages Of Fear (1953) (4/5)
10-18-13
10. The Cat And The Canary (1927) (4/5)
10-19-13
11. House (1977) (5/5)
10-22-13
12. Dracula (1931) (4/5)
10-24-13
13. Psychomania (1973) (4/5)
10-25-13
14. Raw Meat (1973) (4/5)
10-26-13
15. The Bride Of Frankenstein (1935) (5/5)
16. Fiend Without a Face (1958) (3.5/5)
17. Evil Dead (2013) (3/5)
10-27-13
18. Mark Of The Vampire (1935) (4/5)
19. The Mask Of Fu Manchu (1932) (3.5/5)
20. The Brides Of Dracula (1960) (4/5)
21. 20 Million Miles To Earth (1957) (2.5/5)
10-29-13
22. Phantom Of The Paradise (1974) (5/5)
23. Night Of The Living Dead (1968) (5/5)
10-30-13
24. Dawn of The Dead (1978) (5/5)
25. Day Of The Dead (1985) (5/5)
26. The Fog (1980) (5/5)
10-31-13
27. Mad Love (1935) (4/5)
28. The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971) (4.5/5)
29. The Devil-Doll (1936) (4/5)
Television Shows
10-3-13
1. The Walking Dead: Made To Suffer
10-11-13
2. Doctor Who: Terror Of The Zygons Part One (Director's Cut)
10-14-13
3. Doctor Who: The Enemy Of The World Episode One
10-15-13
4. Doctor Who: The Enemy Of The World Episode Two
10-16-13
5. Doctor Who: The Enemy Of The World Episode Three
10-28-13
6.Doctor Who: The Enemy Of The World Episode Four
7.Doctor Who: The Enemy Of The World Episode Five
8.Doctor Who: The Enemy Of The World Episode Six
9.Doctor Who: The Web Of Fear Episode One
10. Doctor Who: The Web Of Fear Episode Two
11. Doctor Who: The Web Of Fear Episode Three (Reconstruction)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Radioman970 said:
Wednesday, October 30thMOVIES:65. Contamination .7 (1990) After 45 minutes of laughter and poking fun, I just got tuckered out...it was the lame effects and dizzying editing, and horrible acting from Sheriff Buford T. Dubbed. Just too much. For me I feel like I just got Contamination .4 out of it. :( This isn't quite up to the standards of, say... a Squirm! Ya got to have yer standards! I hope the rest on this Scream Factory set are better. I remember kind of sort of liking Dungeon Master. The other 2 look like this one. I'll definitely me more in the mood after October. Too chancy for stuff like this.

I bought this one on VHS for this challenge a few years back under the title THE CRAWLERS. I was on a Joe D'Amato fix (he directed this) at the time. Yeah, it's pretty bad but the campy ending is just priceless. It was originally meant to be TROLL 3 so that should tell people everything they need to know. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks