What's new

Official 13th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2012 (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Update!!!
Adam will be getting in contact with the winners.
With BobOLink removing himself, we do end up with a tie,
So both ties (Radioman and Ockeghem) get a DVD or bluray and the final DVD or bluray will be done with a drawing with EVERYONE'S name.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by John Stell /t/323882/official-13th-annual-htf-october-scary-movie-challenge-2012/720#post_3997140
I'll pick The Last Circus. If Mike wants that one then my next pick is You're Nobody Til Somebody Kills You. And if those are the 2 Mike wants my last pick is Don't Go Into the Woods.
Michael-
Which DVD and Blu-ray did you want? As I understand it you get one from each stack. PM me your selection and address, then I will start working my way down the list.

DVD:
Don't go in the Woods
The Legend of Hell's Gate
You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Kills You
Blu-ray:
The Last Circus
The Blood Trilogy
Mothers Day

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
OK Michael has spoken, as has John (PM me your address)

First place: 1bluray and 1 DVD of your choice
Second place: your choice of any movie that is left over after first place picks

Third place: your choice of any movie that is left over after first and second
13 films catagory: a random drawing that everyone's names that achieved the 13 film rule goes into a drawing for a movie.
(This is a DVD/bluray that is left over after all prizes are awarded)
31 films category: a random drawing that everyone's name that achieved the 31 films rule goes into a drawing for the movie.
(Also a DVD/bluray that is left over after all prizes are awarded)
Let me talk to Adam about how the drawings should go.
Also let me ask him if he still had these movie titles.
Adam says he'll be available on Monday to talk to.
The winners can pre-choose their selections now.
DVD:
Don't go in the Woods
The Legend of Hell's Gate
You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Kills You
Blu-ray:
The Last Circus
The Blood Trilogy

Mothers Day

So Radioman, pick and PM me your address, followed by Ockeghem

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Radioman970 /t/323882/official-13th-annual-htf-october-scary-movie-challenge-2012/750#post_4001436
Coolio! PM sent. I chose Legend of Hell's Gate. Tough choice! You're Nobody looks like a wonderful blast of badass badness!
So Ockeghem's up! Pick a title them PM me your address.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Wow, I never thought I'd be in the running. I will choose You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Kills You. My PM to Adam is on its way. :)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
The last prize goes to a random drawing of the 20 of us that participated.
I used the www.randomizer.org website that was suggested.
The list was from 1-20 and was taken from the challengers film list on the first post.
Everyone was assigned a number in the order that was from the film list.
the winner is: Sandro
I will be putting up the "Holiday Challenge"
Hope to see some of you in there.
I added an idea to it to have the non Christmas people participate.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Yes, thanks to John for hosting. I have shipped out all prizes except for Sandro. PM me your address and I will get it out in the mail this weekend.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Halloween CURSES TO ALL OF YOU SINCE I DIDN'T WIN ANYTHING!

See you next year though!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Funnest year I've had in a while. In all seriousness, my blood pressure dropped to an all time low that final Sunday of October. ...erm, maybe I was being "visited" and didn't know it? :eek:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I received my DVD a couple of days ago. Thank you very much!
JohnS,
I want to thank you as well for running a very enjoyable contest this year. Much appreciated! :)

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Well I'm in full Halloween mode now. Went to Target and Wal Mart last night and picked up some new decorations and a couple of bags of candy corn and creme pumpkins. Already pulled out the decorations from the Halloween Closet and decked out my man cave. Just need to go back and purchase the candy selections to load up the candy bowls. I actually started my Halloween viewing this month, with various horror-themed documentaries. Right now I'm working my way through the 21-film Hammer Horror Collection released in the UK in 2006. Are most people returning to the challenge for 2013?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'll be there. In fact, I'm up to film 50 as of yesterday. I started mine August 30th. :) Been watching a lot of Dark Shadows and having a ball. I might be burned out by next month! But I'll be there...and start over at movie @ movie #1 Tv show #1 on October 1st. That'll hurt. :(

I've got to get me a popcorn bowl that looks like a jack-o-lantern on the inside (or something even better). Haven't yet found one. using a plain old lame bowl that is unfun once the corn is gun! I mean gone.

I enjoyed the film I won last year. Legend of Hell's Gate. I watched it a month or so ago. Had a terrific western feel, some excellent costuming and props. The story was the weakest thing about it though.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
John Stell said:
Well I'm in full Halloween mode now. Went to Target and Wal Mart last night and picked up some new decorations and a couple of bags of candy corn and creme pumpkins. Already pulled out the decorations from the Halloween Closet and decked out my man cave. Just need to go back and purchase the candy selections to load up the candy bowls. I actually started my Halloween viewing this month, with various horror-themed documentaries. Right now I'm working my way through the 21-film Hammer Horror Collection released in the UK in 2006. Are most people returning to the challenge for 2013?
Absolutely! October can't come soon enough.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm in too! I've been holding off watching a bunch of discs from Scream Factory and Vinegar Syndrome in anticipation! I'M ALREADY IN A PANIC THAT I WONT BE ABLE TO WATCH EVERYTHING I WANT TO! :lol:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
It's getting close. Since I've been watching stuff since Aug. 30th (just couldn't wait) I thought I'd thrown in my 2013 pre-October Scary Movie Challenge 2013 viewing list on here in case anyone is looking for ideas. There would be more but I had something come up last week. Still, I had a great time and Dark Shadows the original TV series has been a joy this year.

Sorry for the lack of notes, but if you want to know anything about any of this just ask. :) I'll make some small notes on a few.

August 30
1. Paradise Lost: The Child Murders of Robin Hood Hills (93)- about "The Memphis three" murder trial. Outstanding, and YES scary.

August 31
2. Paradise Lost 2: Revelations (99?) follow up that covers a lot including the impact of the first doc
3. Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory. (201?) follow up again
4. Scarecrows (1988)
5. Devil's Pass. (2013) -limited release but I was lucky (well not really) to get to see it
6. Omen 3: Final Conflict?. (1981)

September 1
7. It Came from Hollywood. (1982) - wonderful old clip movie about classic and cheesy films, horror and otherwise.
8. Chernobyl Diaries. (2012) - an almost great one. So many possibilities that don't pan out. LOVED the setting though....
9. Island of Dr. Moreau. (1977)
10. Leviathan. (1989) -this is in a 3 movie set with Lifeforce (different versions I believe than the single DVD) and Burnt Offerings (which is oop in single). fun to laugh at too. But I genuinely enjoyed seeing it again.
11. Dark Skies. (2013) -a bit of a mess
12. The Premature Burial. (1962)

September 2
13. The Cube. (1997) -outstanding. highly recommended
14. V/H/S. (2012) -started out like it wasn't going to be my thing, but it is. Excellent anthology. Call me a fan.
15. Hellraiser IV: Bloodline. (19xx)
16. Stephen King's The Stand. Part 1. (1994)
17. Frozen. (2010) -hard to believe this works as well as it does

September 3
18. Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland. (1989) -I have the trilogy. remember liking this better than part 2 but not as much as the first. I do love The Boss's sis.
19. The Frankenstein Theory. (2013) -most important character, a descendant of Dr. Frankenstein, reads like he doesn't believe his own lines. Hurts this greatly. And the final act is hurt by something that isn't as scary as it should have been.
20. SK's The Stand. Part 2. (1994)

September 4
21. Shadow People. (2013) -didn't work for me. could have used a better actor in the lead.
22. SK's The Stand. Part 3. (1994)
23. The Haunted Manson. (2003) -good first half, nice effects, but gets old before it's done.

September 5
24. SK's The Stand. Part 4. (1994)
25. Black X-mas. (2006) -liked a little better than last year but feel they missed what worked in the original and went with something that didn't
1. TV: Outer Limits. "It crawled..."

September 6
26. Torso. (1973) -didn't think much of it. expected more
27. C.H.U.D. (1984) -too much cheese ruins a good thing. remembered not liking this and was reminded why. :( I do have a sequel, CHUD II.
2. TV: Bewitched. "Strange little visitor"
3. TV: Tales from the Darkside. ""

September 7
28. Alien Abduction Incident in Lake County. (1998) -glad I got to see this again after so many years. Scared the beegeebus out of me before
29. Atrocious. (2010) -quite disturbing! recommended.
30. Sybil. (1976) -superb performance from Sally Field. I believe she'll never top this.
31. Omen IV: The Awakening. (1991) -not as bad as it could have been . Unintentionally funny in parts.
32. Rape of the Vampire. (1968)- outstanding atmosphere, little else. disappoiting over all.
4. TV: Tales from the Crypt "The Secret"

September 8
33. Club Dread. (2004) -liked better this try (bailed on first attempt years ago). funny. but just okay
34. The Mummy. (1999) -damn fun film. first time on blu. Looks great.
35. [REC]2 (2009) -excellent. Had a great time! I wish I had more like this. Fans of the first? Grab it!
36. The Gate II: Trespassers. (1990) -didn't like this before...actually isn't too bad. A new DVD would be great.
37. Horror of Dracula. (1958) - A+ classic. won't argue with those who say "best Dracula"

September 9
5. TV: Dark Shadows. E1
6. TV: Dark shadows. E2.
38. Silent House (2011) -unique filming style, but otherwise sloppy.
7. TV: Dark Shadows. E3.
8. TV: Dark Shadows. E4.

September 10
39. The Curse. (2005) -very good. I was hooked as the mystery unfolded. I really liked the lead actor who was filming the doc. a tad long..
9. TV: Dark Shadows. E5
10. TV: Dark Shadows. E6
11. TV: Dark Shadows. E7

September 11
10. TV: Dark Shadows. E8
40. House on Sorority Row. (1982) -disappointed. so much more could have been done here. Still, an okay watch that reminds me of similar better films
41. Storm Warning. (2007) -funny at time, disturbing in others. a bit hokey, but still fun to watch.
11. TV: Dark Shadows. E9.

September 12
12. TV: Dark Shadows. E10.

September 13
13. TV: Dark Shadows. E11
42. Village of the Damned. (1995) -I like it. Nowhere what the orignal was, but still fun to watch. Alley chews the scenery like a pro. lol
43. Burrowers. (2008)

September 14
44. Insidious. (2011) -starts lite but soon reminds me of classics, and in a good way. It's like Poltergeist, but does it's own thing too. Highly recommended. I plan to tell mom about this one.
45. The Cube 2: Hypercube. (2002) -an okay sequel. The mechanics this time are too complicated, unlike the mind-boggling first film.
14. TV: Dark Shadows. E12.
15. TV: Dark Shadows. E13.
46. Absolution. (1978) -very good 70s horror film with Richard Burton shining
47. Eating Raoul. (1982) -horrid DVD. Fun film.

September 15
16. TV: Dark Shadows. E14.
17. TV: Dark Shadows. E15.
18. TV: Dark Shadows. E16.
19. TV: Dark Shadows. E17.
48. The Curse of Frankenstein. (1958) -not quite as good as H of Drac, but darn good anyway
49. Frontier(s). (2007) -just a crazy ride. I liked it, but it's no classic.
50. Picnic on Hanging Rock. (1975) -oddly, the same young actor was in Absolution I watched the day before. Absolutely not planned. Anyway, gorgeous mysterious film. I read a little about it and something disappointed me. Best to watch it first then research. It really is great.
20. TV: DS. E18.
21. TV: DS. E19.
22. TV X-files. S8 "Medusa"

September 16
23. TV: The Costa Concordia Caught on Tape -can't recommend this enough. I was on the edge of my seat. It's mostly passenger footage of the ship sinking. Just nuts.
24. TV: Terror at Sea: the Sinking of the Costa Concordia. More interview this time. Good companion to the other one. Both on youtube
51. A Nightmare on Elm Street. (2010) -different actors doing the same thing. it's no classic.

September 17
25. TV: Dark Shadows. E20
26. TV: Dark Shadows. E21
52. The Last Exorcism Part 2. (2013) -it's okay. I really liked the first film.

September 18
53. Wake Wood. (2010) -funky like film this. It's works like a bizarre TZ. I can't see anyone being real disappointed in this unless everything has to be grounded for you
54. Andromeda Strain. (1970) -oh my...long! so much quirkiness.. still, I enjoyed it. wonderful old 70s feel like Apes, Westworld, etc (not same material, just the feel of that era of sci-fi.fantasy films)

September 19
27. TV: Dark Shadows. E22
55. Phobia (aka, Prang). (2008) -anthology, with the one making it worth the trouble about 4 young men going on an overnight camping/river rafting trip. That one was excellent, the rest were anywhere from ok to hohum.
28. TV: Dark Shadows. E23.
56. The Revenge of Frankenstein. (1958) -not my fav hammer.

September 20
29. TV: Dark Shadows. E24
57. Rare Exports: a Christmas Tale. (2010) -really fun! highly recommended to the curious. Good sense of humor, and disturbing at times cause it's messin with Santa!
30. TV: Dark Shadows. E25.

September 21
31. TV: Dark Shadows. E26
32. TV: Dark Shadows. E27
33. TV: Dark Shadows. E28
34. TV: Dark Shadows. E29
58. Cold Prey. (2006) -like the homages to The Shining, but this is mostly stupid people doing stupid stuff
59. Bedevilled. (2010) -superb. if it wasn't for the gore I'd recommend this to a wider audience.
35. TV: Dark Shadows. E30
60. National Lampoon's Class Reunion. (1982) -really fun. I did sadly get tired near the end. But it's a fav I've watched for years. Not quite Animal House, but it'll remind you of it if you just kind of go with it. Favorite characters are the vampire dude, the devil lady and the blind chick with the seeing eye dog. Love that!

September 22
36. TV: Dark Shadows. E31
37. TV: Dark Shadows. E32
38. TV: Dark Shadows. E33
39. TV: Dark Shadows. E34
40. TV: Dark Shadows. E35
61. Virgin Spring. (1960) -incredible film. It was referenced in the credits of Last House on the Left and I see why. That's not really a spoiler since the film is an entity by itself that no film borrowing from it could match. and that's a fact.
62. The Bay. (2012) -this wasn't bad. it doesn't really reach the height it tried for, but for a horror movie it works. I like dit.
41. TV: Dark Shadows. E36
63. Joyride. (2001) -a favorite. Loved it as usual.
42. TV: X-Files. S8. "Per Manum"

September 23-29
Mostly Dark Shadows. I'm up to 55 or so.

September 28th, also watched "West of Memphis" a doc from Peter Jackson about the West Memphis Three. That's about 10 hours of docs I've watched on that subject. I recommend all 4 docs highly. All are required viewing and will educate you about our justice system. I've got to loan these to family members asap.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
September 29 (cont'd)
The Stepfather. (87)
Final Destination 5.
More Dark Shadows. 1 X-files called "Deadalive" (and if any are between that last one I mentioned and this...lost count)

September 30
Hansel & Gretel. 2007. South Korean twist on the old story. Really liked this a lot.

Probably 1 more Dark Shadows. And that's it. had a pretty good time. Now to October...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks