What's new

***Offical "RESIDENT EVIL" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
The more and more I read the more peopel liek it. I have a feeling that everyone who spits on Paul Anderson will be eating their words about this soon enough.

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
i mistakenly started another thread on this.. but anyways i saw the movie at a screening last night and as a fan of the games i thought anderson did a very good film translation. first off the game and the movie are supposed to be two seperate things.
i mean this movie is a prequel to the first game

that being said its not supposed to be the exact same.. nor could a movie ever exactly follow a game or novel for that instance. it had all the elements in it i have come to love from the games. the acting wasn't just grade a.. but its not trying to be. now they are already talkin about a sequel to this film.. so im hoping this makes some bank this weekend. its a good solid R rating and the games are a good solid M rating so it all fits. im just hoping on the dvd it has some unrated cut of the film i think that would be really nice.. " Resident Evil Director's Cut " muwhahahah
:D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
loved it and my interest in Milla has gone through the roof yet again

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Matt,
Glad to hear some positive feedback on this flick. I've heard NOT GOOD things about it so far, so it's cool to have an opinion from a "fan of the games". (I only really got into the first RE game on PS1.)
I'll be seeing this one in a few hours, and I sincerely hope I enjoy it - at least as much as you did. :)

Julie K

Screenwriter
I've never played the game, don't play much in the way of computer games anyway, and can't recall enjoying a game-based movie before.

I'm a huge fan of zombie movies though and that's how I'll be judging the movie. So far from what I've heard - no/little gore and few zombies - make it sound pretty poor to me.

Unless I hear a lot of really positive things from fellow zombie nuts, I think I'll wait for rental.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Julie, you should really give a listen to the 1968 LP, Odyssey and the Oracle--easily The Zombies' best-ever album. Excellent record.,

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Actually there's about 500 zombies (not including the dogs & genetic creations), and plenty of gore to go around...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
In the other (now closed) thread, someone said that the games were more about authentic horror and not sciece, but for anyone who completed RE1, RE2, and Code Veronica, they can tell you that each of them had a horror element and a science element. Each game eventually put you in a scary place and a secret lab with monsters and mutants. The movie might have more of the science stuff than the horror stuff, but the science stuff affects the horror stuff more in the games, so it should be brought out first in the movies...I think.

As for monsters, the games had zombies, dogs, bats, birds, lickers, nemesis, bugs, plants, and some other stuff. The movie seems to have just zombies, dogs, and a licker.

I hope that in the sequel (Resident Evil 2: Nemesis) they make sure to establish that Nemesis (the bad guy who stalks the main character to kill her) is made for the sole purpose of killing whoever the person he's stalking is. If he just starts stalking her, the movie might end up being crap.

I heard about the ending to RE, so it DOES leave room for a sequel.

For anyone who has seen the movie already, I have a question:

In the commercials they show a shot that I believe is from the ending. Without telling what the shot is, can you tell me if this is true?

I am seeing this on friday. Can't wait.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Saw it tonight. I liked it, though it's certainly a somewhat flawed flick. Definitely joins Showtime on my Official 2002 Guilty Pleasure list.
My review should be up by Friday for those of you who read 'em. (Yes, both of you.)
Morgan - I'm not sure what scene you mean. PM me if you like.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Scott, I just noticed you on Rotten Tomatoes; you're quoted in the Ice Age reviews. I'm sure you are getting more than 2 readers now.

~T

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Thi-
Thanks for noticing! You'll see my name at RT somewhat often, but only when I get a review in a few extra days in advance. My newer reviews are nearly always posted on Thursdays and Fridays, so they seldom get added to the RT pages by the opening weekend.
Did that make any sense?
I just now finished my review for RE. Here's a small taste:
Resident Evil is sleek. It’s shiny. It’s also quite slimy, occasionally silly and altogether cheesy. Though it doesn’t aspire to be included on many Top Ten lists, Resident Evil offers a more entertaining sci-fi/horror thrill ride than 13 Ghosts, Pitch Black, The Haunting, Ghosts of Mars and both Urban Legend flicks combined.
My greatest fear is that NOBODY likes this movie but me, thereby proving that I'm a clueless moron. :D

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
well scott.. i am right with you. there just might be two of us... :D
and morgan to answer your spoiler question..
im not gonna tell u if that shot was even in the movie. i know what shot your talking about bc i saw it after the movie was over. my best suggestion is to not watch anything else about the movie and just go see it.. ah what the hell.. that shot.. wasn't even in the movie. :)

go see and enjoy. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Thanks for noticing! You'll see my name at RT somewhat often, but only when I get a review in a few extra days in advance. My newer reviews are nearly always posted on Thursdays and Fridays, so they seldom get added to the RT pages by the opening weekend.
Yeah, I was looking at other RT reviews to see if I have missed your name, and I have.

Your explanation made sense.

~T

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Monopoly could be a good movie.

The tragic hero, the shoe, is best friends with his business partner, the thimble, but one day, the thimble and the top hat decide to frame the shoe of trying to monopolize, then he is sent to jail, but gets out and builds up a successful business, eventually buying out the thimble and the top hat.

Sounds like an Oscar to me.

Back to topic, is this movie overall good, bad, or at least better than most videogame based movies?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Morgan - I think it's one of the most "loyal" video game adaptations yet. Although that's not really saying a whole lot...

Just to satisfy my curiosity - What was the scene you were referring to? The one that's reportedly not in the movie?

I just saw Resident Evil at an advance screening in Tempe, AZ. Boy, was I and almost the whole audience dissapointed. SPOILERS - There was so much room for great kills/blood/gore and it almost seemed that it all was in the movie at one time. If the movie was going to get an R anyway, why not put the blood/gore back in. And YES, in this instance, it was needed. The movie is so CHOPPED up, you get the feeling, WHAT DID I JUST MISS.

Examples : SPOILERS : When the hero faces 5 Hell Hounds, she points her gun at them, the point of view goes at the gun, we hear 5 shots fired, she then walks away, not once showing the dead dogs, the bullets hitting them, NOTHING. It was hard to assume exactly what happened. This happens to at least 40 scenes I counted. Your about to see what happened, then next scene?????? Lasers head toward a group of commandos, just as they reach them to cut them up, it cuts to there head or away and then we later see a pile of clothes on ground, and assuming body parts were there. No blood spurting, nothing. Not quite knowing what was up? Once the zombies get going, we are treated to tones of them attacking and ripping people apart, but hey, it is all assumed as the camera always pans away.

ROMERO would have done this movie justice. Maybe on DVD we will see the way it was meant to be.

As for NUDITY, major chances also - one slight nipple shot at beginning and that was it, YES IT!

If you see this, be prepared for a disjointed movie that could have been a major contender.

ONE LAST POINT - The people above that saw this movie, did we see the same movie? Name me one part that has spurting blood, intestines, anything that normally denotes a zombie movie. All of that is off camera. YES, this will most likely WOW the videogame crowd, but as far as zombie movie lovers, most will HATE IT.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Sounds to me that this film and the editing have fallen the wayside the same as the cuts that were made to another one of my pet film projects. We all know what the 1988 movie is, clue look at the signature.

Anyway, I am almost postive that when this film hits the DVD marketplace, that many of the scenes will be restored in a special version.

Maybe now, some people will realize why WE have been asking for uncut films for years...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks