What's new

***Offical "RESIDENT EVIL" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
RE will make a good movie because its already Hollywoodized as a game--action, horror, sci-fi, special effects, and cheesy dialogue:

"You, the master of unlocking"

"No...don't open that door!"

(If you haven't heard these spoken, just imagine the WORST voice over EVER)

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
I dunno' Morgan, personally I think Paul Anderson's style of directing would work with a Metal Gear film.

A Metal Gear film would probably be more exciting than the snorefest that was MGS2 on the PS2 (damn those COMM calls).

The RE movie looks like it will be pretty good, enen though it doe not look like the Resident Evil games. You just have to enjoy it for what it is, if you can.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, Metal Gear (the whole series) is very epic, but each part acts as its own part (like Star Wars--each movie is a separate story with a beginning and end, but they all work with eachother and depend on eachother). This game is one of those games where they either have to continue the story after the games (which would mean they need to somehow inform the audience of the backstory, which would take a while) or it would have to take place as one of the games. They CANNOT change the story or characters, because then the whole premise of the games' stories complexities would be lost. Also, a lot of the games are made so the game is talking to the gamer, and a lot of that would be removed, so some of the content would be lost.

Overall, Metal Gear is one of the games where a movie would have to be a carbon copy of the game(s) for it to work. Changing anything would ruin it, thats just how this situation works. Since this is the case, people should just play the games.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I take it that nobody remembers the Dungeons & Dragons game for the Intellivision way back in the day?
I thought they had already made a film of MGS and called it "Escape from New York" :)

KyleK

Second Unit
Hmm, speaking of game-based movies, I always thought that the Zelda games would make good fantasy movies, if done right, preferably directed by Peter Jackson :).

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Zelda the Cartoon was good.

Most the movies I watch are enjoyable on some level so therefore I do not see them as bad. There are ones I prefer to watch though. RE looks like a good movie (A movie I would enjoy).

I recently saw Sheena Queen of the Jungle for the second time. Last time I saw it was over ten years ago. I didn't remember it being that cheesy. Cherry 2000 is another one I saw when I was younger but when recently viewed thought it was cheesy as well.

derek

Second Unit
Resident Evil's biggest mistake is it's R rating. That alienates at least 50% of the game fans...who are really the majority going to see the movie in the first place. With the rating and lack of many from the core audience expect a box office bomb.

BTW I feel Mortal Kombat is a good fun movie. My bro and I watched the DTS laserdisc the other night and had a great time. Now MKII *UGH*

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I'm so surprised at how underrated Paul Anderson is. First of all, he is a super visual director, Event Horizon is one of the nicest looking movies around. Now we praise someone like Tarsem for that, but not him. Perhaps someone heard Harry Knowles didn't like it so everyone decided to follow. Mortal Kombat really made it onto the big screen and was translated very well, even with the restrictions they had to follow.(PG) Now Resident Evil looks very promising to me. I will admit that the wall kick to the dog was unexpected and not needed, but the rest looks very good too me. The only problem I see is that they give away too much in the trailer. one question I have is, what ever happened to Clint Mansell doing the score? Anyways, it will be a great show, and I think people are a little hard on Paul Anderson for no real reason.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Actually, an R rating is the best thing they could do. It allows the movie to retain some of the aspects of the game that made it so good, most notably the violence.

If I had to think of a game that I think would make a good movie, it would have to be...I dunno. I think all the games worth making into movies have been (unsuccessfully) made. Zelda and MGS are good choices, but neither would really be able to be turned into a movie that would have its own storyline separate from the games without ruining the games because of how similar everything must be for the movie to work. They both have good stories, but if they made a movie, they might as well make them as CG movies with the characters (in MGS, the voices) from the games.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
now technically an R rating would not hurt this movie at all cause the fan base is peopel that can purchase a MA-17 game. Now of course, everyone played this game, from young to old but honestly, this one would be very hard to make a PG or even PG-13. Sure they did it with Mortal kombat but i think that's a different story all together. That one they fight and the super powers just make them dissolve. RE, zombies just don't go away, you have to blow them away! Also, a little hidden point I had in that rant was, who follows the ratings guide when selling video games?

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Tim, Indeed ;)
Starring *solid* Snake Pliskin. I wonder if Carpenter and MGM would sue for royalties if a MGS movie ever did get made? :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, Mortal Kombat games are WAY more violent than the movie. They are also better, even with nowhere near as much story (but nobody cared about it anyway).

Seriously though, Mortal Kombat sucked. I was really into the games, then I sort of drifted out of it and saw the movie after. Since I wasn't surrounded by the excitement of seeing a movie based on my favorite game, I was able to see it as a movie, and to see that it sucked, a lot. The problem with Mortal Kombat (and Street Fighter and Batman) is that they kill off all the bad guys, so if they bring them back, they use some stupid explanation. The explanations can work in the games because the games are totally far-fetched to begin with, but not in the movies, especially when they use the crappy ass storyline like they did.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
I've never played the game and have no expectations for the film.

I'll try and post my thoughts after I see it tomorrow night.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Actually, an R rating is the best thing they could do. It allows the movie to retain some of the aspects of the game that made it so good, most notably the violence.
Perhaps, more so it makes those below the age of 17 want to go and see it even more. Violence, gorE plus Paul Anderson has admitted to throwing gratuitous nudity in there as well. This movie is made for kids... ;)
Dan

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I can't wait to see Resident Evil. I'll be at a special screening tomorrow night.

I love Paul Anderson. Soldier was simply a blast to watch. Event Horizon is a real visual treat, and one of only two or three movies I've ever seen to really scare me. As for Mortal Kombat, it's the only successful video game movie ever made (well, *I* liked it, anyway), and it's based on one of the worst video games ever released.

If he can turn garbage like Mortal Kombat into a decent flick, and make a movie as scary as Event Horizon, I have a lot of confidence in him for Resident Evil.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Just got back from a preview screening.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
And yes, there *is* gore in it. Plenty.
And yes, there are flashes of Milla nudity. Another :emoji_thumbsup: for that...
Does a very good job of setting up the games...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks