What's new

***Offical "RESIDENT EVIL" Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Kami

Screenwriter
Since the original RE is one of my favorite games, I will definitely go and see it. I'll be seeing it with no expectations though.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Final Fantasy was BAD because it had little or nothing to do with the games.
Correct me if I'm wrong Morgan, but isn't it you that constantly proclaims how great FF was and that it is deeper and more profound that most other films?:confused:
Or do you have a doppleganger posting?:D

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
final fantasy? come on, dont let me start again on that one.

i actually enjoyed soldier, even though i realized it wasnt really good after all. i might enjoy res evil as well...if i remember to turn off my brain before watching it.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I don't think I have ever seen a thread where "suck" has been uttered so many times. :)
You know, I find Paul Anderson's movies inspiring. He's a british filmmaker who made a terrible film (Shopping) and got a career out of it, though he simply made yet more terrible films. Regardless of the bad movie aspect, it's nice to think that if he can make it in filmmaking, I damn well can. :)
Oh come now, no one has seen Double Dragon. If you're the one who has, don't expect me to talk to you ever again. :D
Dan

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
This thread just reminded me: Wheres the DVD of Super Mario Bros.??? Get to work Hollywood!
But really, I like Super Mario Bros. and I really want it on DVD!
On a serious note, any film based on a video game should be taken with a grain of salt. Its based on a video game, what are you expecting Citizen Kane? I go in expecting popcorn and cheeseball lines. Thats what I get most of the time! :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Dungeons and Dragons is not a videogame, thus, not a videogame based movie.

RE has different characters and a different, but similar, story. This way, they can kill off who they want and do what they want while still retaining the basic concepts of the games. I heard about the ending though, and its very open for a sequel.

I liked FF. A lot. But I can see what problems it had and what people didn't like about it. Many people didn't get what they expected, so they hated that. I still loved it.

Super Mario Brothers is a prime example of an Americanized concept. They took a really simple game idea and threw in a bunch of out of place crap that had absolutely nothing to do with the games and probably never will. Worst...game based film...ever.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Movies based on games: always awful. Why? 'Cause it's a game, not a movie! It's all just cross-marketing gimmicks. It's not enough to just come out with an entertainment product- it has to be made into a movie, a cartoon show, a Burger King toy.
I don't think I have ever seen a thread where "suck" has been uttered so many times.
To paraphrase Homer Simpson: game-based movies are the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.:)

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Thanks for the compliments. And yes, there are some movies that I dont like. But many, I like to watch cause their so bad, you know what I mean. Like Over the Top or Pearl Harbor, I like them cause their so cheesey and bad.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Game based movies can be good, but they need to be well planned out and well written. When they make the movie, they try to make it the same thing as the game, so the fans will like it, but it ends up sucking. When they make it all sci-fi and special effects-ish, it sucks because its nothing like the games. When they only share the title and maybe a character with the games, then it sucks because the fans get pissed. When they keep it in the same vein as the games (as in very action based but little plot) then it just sucks as a movie.

So far, they've just been making the wrong game based movies. Fighting games just don't make good movies, and pretty much every game before the PlayStation (besides RPGs) had horrible stories. Resident Evil is a good choice because it has a pretty good saga between all the games, is very marketable, has some of the authentic scariness and sci-fi horror stuff mixed together, and the cheesy dialogue is already in the game.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Showgirls Super Mario Bros. :angry: Street Fighter Soldier said:
Ah Homer. The wisest of the wise. This is a quote to cherish, and keep in mind when you're handing over your $10 for Resident Evil. :D

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
It must be said, in fairness the thought of the Resident Evil movie is nothing when you think about that CRAZY TAXI movie they have in production... Tekken and State of Emergency movie deals struck now too... God help us...

Anderson has openly said he wants to do Metal Gear Solid as well. Please, TELL HIM TO STOP!

Dan

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They will NOT tarnish Metal Gear Solid with a movie....they better not...

State of Emergency wasn't even a good game.

Tekken already has an anime movie.

Crazy Taxi doesn't even have a plot.

Don't forget House of the Dead, which starts shooting in May.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
kojima didnt even know how to direct a cutscene, lets hope he didnt try to create a metalgear movie with the help of anderson or whatever.

he would end up just like hironobu sakaguchi with his final fantasy flick.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I don't have high hopes for this one, but it does have flesh-eating zombies. So I'm there. :)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'm actually hoping Resident Evil the movie isn't a whole heckuva lot like the game. I don't wanna pay $8 to watch an overpaid, undertalented actor run back and forth between differant sets for seven hours pushing blocks and trying to solve ridiculous word puzzles.
In fact the only part of the game I did like was the scene in the interogation room where the inhuman beast-thingy bursts through the window and makes me scream like a little girl:b I actually think this particular effect could be transfered to the cinema rather well. That and possibly decapitating zombies with a shotgun.
As for the Dungeons & Dragons movie. Just buy an extra copy of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings on DVD when it becomes available, and put it in the D&D box. Not only will it keep you from having to rewatch D&D, but anyone who hasn't seen D&D will watch LOTR instead, and come away with a better opinion of the RPG:)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
the scene in the interogation room where the inhuman beast-thingy bursts through the window and makes me scream like a little girl
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
You don't even wanna KNOW what happened the first time I experienced this part of the game. Let's just say it was about 2AM, I was sitting in the dark, and the TV was turned up louder than it should have been. :D
I hope the Resident Evil movie doesn't have the two heroines stopping repeatedly at little typewriters located throughout the mansion! :laugh:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Weinberg,
You quote-whore! I am glad you've played the game. Maybe your review will be decent, since you know what to look for:D
My greatest RE moment came in CV...I was desperately wounded, and I found my way to the twin's secret house. There's a long passageway to their house, it's stormy, the DC's lighting (and lightning) effects are going nuts, and I'm full on limping with the shotgun. Very cinematic, very atmospheric, and very fun. I got smoked later;)
Take care,
Chuck
The movie will stink...but will it be fun???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks