What's new

Off the shelf: Conan the Barbarian (1982) (1 Viewer)

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
David_B_K said:
Yes the "Hyborian Age" of Robert E. Howard predates known history. I just always imagined Conan with a rough American manner of speech, so as to stand out from the civilized types, sort of in the manner of Kirk Douglas' Spartacus, where the gladiators were American (for the most part) and the Roman elites British (for the most part).
Unfortunately, this is something that many critics and lay (or non-Howard-fan) audiences would likely not be aware of. I'm somehow not surprised that Ebert was aware of it, though. He was a pretty informed fellow.
One has to believe that John Milius and company did more than a respectable amount of research into both the fictional continuity and "facts" and the real history of ancient barbarianism etc., and must have felt that Arnold's accent happened to match or just work very well with the character and landscape.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Reggie W said:
I'm trying to think of other R-rated adult fantasy films and I'm coming up pretty empty at the moment...what else is there?
Photo5.jpg

When I was watching the 30th anniversary Ghostbusters re-release, I was thinking it would be nice if Columbia brought this back to the big screen for a week. Damn shame the sequel seems to be dead in the water.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Sword and the Sorcerer was very much an R-rated Fantasy film. I'm not saying it's a classic, but it was a favorite of mine as a kid. Barbarian Queen was another. It's just plain bad.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
lukejosephchung said:
"Excalibur"...Boorman's take on the King Arthur legends...
Yes! That may be the true king of adult fantasy films...can't believe I drew a blank on that...good call. I think I might throw Boorman's Zardoz into the "adult fantasy" realm as well...not that seeing Sean Connery running around in a red diaper was a fantasy, that was pretty odd...but the film plays like some twisted sci-fi/fantasy hybrid and probably leaning more toward fantasy.

zardoz-poster.jpg

I know not everyone likes this film but I'm one of the folks that really loves pretty much everything Boorman has done...including this.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
SilverWook said:
Photo5.jpg

When I was watching the 30th anniversary Ghostbusters re-release, I was thinking it would be nice if Columbia brought this back to the big screen for a week. Damn shame the sequel seems to be dead in the water.
I had thought of this one but figured we were talking only of live-action films

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Reggie W said:
Yes! That may be the true king of adult fantasy films...can't believe I drew a blank on that...good call. I think I might throw Boorman's Zardoz into the "adult fantasy" realm as well...not that seeing Sean Connery running around in a red diaper was a fantasy, that was pretty odd...but the film plays like some twisted sci-fi/fantasy hybrid and probably leaning more toward fantasy.

attachicon.gif
zardoz-poster.jpg

I know not everyone likes this film but I'm one of the folks that really loves pretty much everything Boorman has done...including this.
I'm embarrassed that I forgot about Zardoz. Rick and Morty did a hilarious homage to it recently, complete with giant floating god head.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Brian Kidd said:
Sword and the Sorcerer was very much an R-rated Fantasy film. I'm not saying it's a classic, but it was a favorite of mine as a kid. Barbarian Queen was another. It's just plain bad.
I've felt icky watching SATS since learning a stuntman was killed performing a fall in the film, and the filmmakers used the footage anyway. :wacko:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I'd like to say that I have come to believe that this film is the quintessential "comic book adventure film" far eclipsing Nolan and his Batman films or any other film of this type or genre.

Here's a special treat for anyone that enjoys this Conan film or Conan in general...a seven hour discussion of the films and the works they were based on primarily focused on this film in particular.

Enjoy:

http://projection-booth.blogspot.com/2015/02/episode-207-conan-barbarian.html

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It would be great if the new blu-ray that is coming out is some kind of upgrade. It's funny too because I just saw this article recently on how Hollywood studios are not at all interested in doing R-rated super hero films and so this film really stands out even more to me at this stage.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
How do people rate the sequel Conan the Destroyer? I have not watched it but based on how much I loved this film I am tempted. Many people seem to really have issues with it and say it is a disaster compared to this film. Anybody have thoughts on it?

Destroyer.jpe

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
How do people rate the sequel Conan the Destroyer?

I have been a pretty big fan of the first Conan film since my first theatrical viewing, and still enjoy it to this day. I viewed the sequel once theatrically, and never again. The supporting cast, and a lighter storyline really undermined the film (based on a nearly 32 year old memory, of course. :) )

In terms of other R Rated fantasy films, I would add Watchmen and 300 to the list.

I haven't seen The Sword and the Sorceror in ages, but really enjoyed its adventurous tone back in the day. Of course it had the great Richard Lynch as its antagonist who always managed to play the scummiest of villains.

- Walter.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
How do people rate the sequel Conan the Destroyer?
Makes for a good toilet bowl scrubber IMHO, but considering how many contrarian hipsters we have over at the Star Trek and Bond threads, I'm sure you'll find like 19 people who think its a lost masterpiece.

That said in its defense, the more watered down kid friendly approach (seriously they went from a hard R to a PG!) actually comes closer to Robert E. Howard's more fantastical side than Milius' more earthy "steel and flesh" style.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Makes for a good toilet bowl scrubber IMHO, but considering how many contrarian hipsters we have over at the Star Trek and Bond threads, I'm sure you'll find like 19 people who think its a lost masterpiece.

Destroyer is a lousy movie, and I say that as a fan of Moonraker.

YanMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yannick
Destroyer is a lousy movie, and I say that as a fan of Moonraker.

This is true... it is a lousy movie, but it can be fun if you are in the right frame of mind. A few beers beforehand might help.

Basil Poledouris' score is great once again, if not as lush and extensive as his score from the first film.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck

That said in its defense, the more watered down kid friendly approach (seriously they went from a hard R to a PG!) actually comes closer to Robert E. Howard's more fantastical side than Milius' more earthy "steel and flesh" style.

This is a very accurate response. I have rewatched it, and its a solid 2 out of 10. It does have more Howard fantasy elements with the resurrection of an ancient God/Monster, the sorcerors lair, the quest and its trials, etc. It also has Wilt Chamberlain as part of the adventure party.

What has also been missed in the mentions here and I think is a gem of a movie with Arnold, is Red Sonja.

Last edited:

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
This is true... it is a lousy movie, but it can be fun if you are in the right frame of mind. A few beers beforehand might help.

Basil Poledouris' score is great once again, if not as lush and extensive as his score from the first film.

I thought they were mostly reusing the old score. I didn't recognize that much new stuff.

I also just checked on IMDB and there is an uncredited Andre The Giant in there, huh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks