What's new

International Odeon Entertainment - DVD distributor (1 Viewer)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I watched The Mad Ghoul today and was thoroughly entertained. For anybody not familiar with George Zucco (a great favourite of mine) it would be a good introduction to his work. I was disappointed his name was not on the DVD front cover because, although he is the undoubted star of the film, he was third billed and fourth on the posters. The image quality was excellent, as good as any 1940's Universal horror, and would make a great blu-ray as part of a set.

On a separate point, has anybody received The Unguarded Moment as a review would be useful.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Keith Cobby said:
On a separate point, has anybody received The Unguarded Moment as a review would be useful.
I've taken the plunge and it's on its way to me. I'll compare it to the Region 1 abomination and let you know what I think.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
New titles announced:

* Curse of the Crimson Altar (Boris Karloff) 6th October BLU & DVD
* Resurrection (Ellen Burstyn) 1st September DVD
* Island of Terror (Peter Cushing) 20th October BLU & DVD
* The Questor Tapes (Robert Foxworth) 22nd September DVD
* The Island (Michael Caine) 6th October DVD
* Tobruk (Rock Hudson) September 22 BLU & DVD

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Some welcome titles in there.
Especially interested in Island of Terror and Tobruk.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Night Of The Big Heat is done and shipping soon, from a 1080i master as that's what was available.Island Of Terror was scanned at 4k and Pinewood reported the other day that it does indeed have to often cut scene [spolier]of Cushing's hand being chopped off[/spoiler].Curse Of The Crimson Cult/Altar will have a commentary from Barbara Steele and David Dep Valle.Whip & The Body will have what appears to be a recent interview with Christopher Lee, a new commentary by Tim Lucas, and writings by Troy Howarth.Also, Dr. Terror's House Of Horror is being restored at Pinewood for a bd release in late 2014 or early 2015.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
bgart13 said:
Whip & The Body will have what appears to be a recent interview with Christopher Lee, a new commentary by Tim Lucas, and writings by Troy Howarth.
I will never understand why some people think this is a good film. I like both Christopher Lee and Daliah Lavi - which is why I ever watched the film - but the movie was so feeble!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Mike*HTF said:
You mean there's a reason other than Daliah Lavi to watch this film?
Well, the film's supporters will tell you this film is a visual masterwork with this or that sub-theme of great significance. For me - and, it seems, you too - ogling Daliah Lavi is by far the main reward from this movie.

Apart from Lord Jim, the Daliah Lavi film we really need on disc is Il Demonio. I once saw a bootleg DVD on sale but in general the movie seems to have disappeared.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Robin9 said:
I will never understand why some people think this is a good film. I like both Christopher Lee and Daliah Lavi - which is why I ever watched the film - but the movie was so feeble!
Probably because it's a good movie...? One of Bava's best gothics, certainly. It's not my favorite of his, but I like it quite a bit. It's got Christopher Lee, Daliah Lavi, Mario Bava's sumptuous photography, beautiful colors, ghosts, violence, mystery, romance, S&M -- what more could you want from an Italian horror movie from the 1960's?

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robin9 said:
Well, the film's supporters will tell you this film is a visual masterwork with this or that sub-theme of great significance. For me - and, it seems, you too - ogling Daliah Lavi is by far the main reward from this movie. Apart from Lord Jim, the Daliah Lavi film we really need on disc is Il Demonio. I once saw a bootleg DVD on sale but in general the movie seems to have disappeared.
Yes, ogling Daliah Lavi is indeed a guilty pleasure.
I've yet to see Il Demonio -- is it very good?

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
New titles announced:

* Remember the Night (Barbara Stanwyck) 3rd November
* Call of the Wild (Charlton Heston) 1st October
* The Sorcerers (Boris Karloff) 1st October DVD & BLU
* Isadora (Vanessa Redgrave) 1st October BLU
* The Black Torment (Heather Sears) 1st September BLU

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks