What's new

Oddities and Spin Offs you wanna see released (1 Viewer)

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
There are a lot of odd stuff that has been on or really short lived spinoffs that were intro'd that would be great additions to boxed sets of other shows.

Some examples:

A pilot of Radar from MASH that aired on CBS. Included in a MASH box set??

Animated special Carlton the Doorman that would be a fun addition if we ever get a RHODA complete series boxed set.

Checkin In - the four or five episodes of this Florence spin off would be a nice addition to a season of the JEFFERSONS, if the series ever continues or gets a series collection.

If GUNSMOKE ever gets to the later years, adding the episodes of the spinoff DIRTY SALLY to the appropriate season would be nice.

OTHER EXAMPLES THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE????????

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Maybe this doesn't really fit.

But the seventies and early eighties, ABC, CBS, NBC Saturday Morning Preview Specials that aired on the Friday evenings right before the new seasons begun.

I remember back in either 1973 or 1974, NBC aired a special with Jimmy Osmond hosting, that showed the first clips of the Star Trek Animated line-up. and I loved the slogan for that year, "It's the Sat-ur-day, Cel-e-bra-tion." It would have been catchier with the music.

Than, the year before, ABC had Lee Majors host their special, as the Six Million Dollar Man was just starting its run. It had the first clips of the SuperFriends on it. I remember at the end of the show, Lee was distraught because the kids were more anxious to meet Steve Austin, the Six Million Dollar Man, than spend time with him.

Cute. Corny, and fun for a twelve year old.

It's not a spin-off, but it's an oddity.

As for spin-offs.

Young Maverick.

James

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I've been hoping beyond hope to see the short-lived series "One In A Million" with Shirley Hemphill of "What's Happening!!". But I've all but lost hope.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Robert13
I've been hoping beyond hope to see the short-lived series "One In A Million" with Shirley Hemphill of "What's Happening!!". But I've all but lost hope.
1. Sanford Arms
2. Phylis
3. Three's a crowd
4. The Ropers

JanuaryMan

Agent
Real Name
Robert
A giant box of:

The Betty White Show
We've Got Each Other
Busting Loose
All's Fair
Mr. T and Tina
Doc
Domestic Life
Apple Pie
The Tony Randall Show
Snip (unaired David Brenner sitcom)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Another show that fits this category is 1979's "Hanging In" which was supposed to build-off the final episode of "Maude" with Maude as a congresswoman. But Bea Arthur quit instead so the idea was to come up with a new show about a black congressman with the same supporting cast but that idea got shelved when the pilot tested bad which then led to another revamped format that only lasted four or five episodes.

I have no interest in "Maude" but I'd only want those episodes and the short-lived "Busting Loose" to get more on DVD featuring one of the most beautiful ladies of 70s TV, Barbara Rhoades.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Jack Webb's short-lived series, SIERRA. One of the Episodes had a Cameo appearance of the Paramedics from Emergency! (Randolph Mantooth and Keven Tighe).

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I'd also like to add the NBC Family Christmas Parties that the network used to do in the seventies until the mid-eighties. Various NBC stars would do an hour's worth of holiday stuff; singing carols, put on skits, etc.

In 1982, the Cheers cast hosted the shindig, and stayed in character. Danson and Long did their Sam and Diane bit and the cast even played a Christmas Carol on waterglasses. Or something like that.

Would have made a great extra for the boxed set.

James

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by JanuaryMan
A giant box of:

The Betty White Show
We've Got Each Other
Busting Loose
All's Fair
Mr. T and Tina
Doc
Domestic Life
Apple Pie
The Tony Randall Show
Snip (unaired David Brenner sitcom)
I would totally buy "All's Fair" if they released it. That's the one with Bernadette Peters, right? There's an episode which featured the TV debut of Shirley Hemphill, I believe.

FP62

Grip
Real Name
Frank P. Nolan
"The Associates" (ABC, 1979) with Wilfred Hyde-White, Martin Short, Alley Mills and Shelley Smith; "All is Forgiven" (NBC, 1986) with Bess Armstrong, Terrance Knox and Carol Kane; and "Getting Together" ("Partridge Family" spinoff, ABC, 1971) with Bobby Sherman, Wes Stern and Pat Carroll.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I'd like to see "On The Air", David Lynch's short-lived comedy series that ran for a handful of episodes a couple years after "Twin Peaks" went off the air. It was every bit as bizarre and odd as you might expect, and I actually had taped it, but lost the tape over the years.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
"The Colby's" I forgot about that one,

- Apples Way

- Three For the Road

- Kings Crossing

- The Gangster Chronicles (1981)

- Cliffhangers

- Flamingo Road

TV Movies:

- One of my Wives is Missing (remastered)

- The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything

- The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Dynamite

- The "Frank Janna" Detective seres movies with Richard Crenna

Miniseries:

- And the Sea Will Tell

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
When the BBC get around to releasing the restored colour pilot episode of Are You Being Served, I wish they could work out a deal to get the rights to include the US pilot, Beane's of Boston to help fill out the disc. As to who owns it, I'm not sure unless it's Gary Marshall's company or whoever he produced it for.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney
When the BBC get around to releasing the restored colour pilot episode of Are You Being Served, I wish they could work out a deal to get the rights to include the US pilot, Beane's of Boston to help fill out the disc. As to who owns it, I'm not sure unless it's Gary Marshall's company or whoever he produced it for.
They should also release the Australian version with John Inman. T'would be nice for Come Back Mrs. Noah as well, I think that is the name, Mollie Sugden in space.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Jeff Willis said:
As to who owns it, I'm not sure unless it's Gary Marshall's company or whoever he produced it for.
Paramount Television did "Beane's of Boston" .

Let's add a mention to the U.S. pilot to "Dad's Army" which supposedly only exists as a 3/4" U-Matic copy!

For my own oddites-

How about the two pilots based on Neil Simon's "The Goodbye Girl" what MGM Television produced

The TV version of "Barefoot in The Park" - witht the pilots with both casts.

Stockard Channing's two tv series - "Just Friends' and "The Stockard Channing Show"

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DeWilson
CLIFFHANGERS is one I'd like to see. Never understood why they did made a feature version of "Secret Empire" when they did of the other two.
That's one I've mentioned several times in the past, guess I got distracted by "spin-offs" and didn't consider short-run oddities.

Since Madman in Australia released Darkroom (and one of their employees, Grant, is a member here), I sent him a PM recommending they look into Cliff Hangers!, as that, like Darkroom, is also a Universal show.

He said one thing that might be in the show's favour would be if they had a worldwide exclusive on it (like Darkroom) and were able to anticipate a lot of people importing it, so if you have any interest in the title at all, it might be worth sending him a brief PM. He's registered as MadmanTV.

As for other short-runs, I've long said Logan's Run. It wouldn't surprise me at all that if WB decided to pull their finger out and release this, that it would be as burnt MOD media rather than a traditional release (unfortunately). The episodes are already out there as downloads from Amazon and the like, so I'm really kind of surprised they haven't been offered on media so far (perhaps they keep waiting for the movie that seems like it will never happen).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks