What's new

Odd DVD occurence: please answer (1 Viewer)

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering about an odd DVD occurence, and why it would happen. It's nothing major at all, but one of my discs (MGM's COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE), the sound goes out with a very slight delay for a split second: this only happens once, and it only happens on Pioneer machines. It's not the individual disc, as I played a friend's copy and the same thing happened. The movie plays flawless on every other model. It's not a sidebeak, but I was just wondering if anyone knew why this would occur only on Pioneer players? Is this encoding?

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like a layer change. Layer changes are not equal in how long they take. Some are seamless and happen without noticing, others are up to two seconds in length. Does your picture freeze a moment at the same time? A layer change will cause the video to freeze and an audio drop-out.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator
It's not a layer change, it doesn't freeze like a normal layer change, and it only happens on Pioneer players. I don't think they would have a layer change on a 90 minute movie with no extras, but maybe I'm wrong. If I freeze the scene on the Pioneer, sometimes it locks up and the DVD won't play until I stop and start again.
[Edited last by George_Reis on October 14, 2001 at 02:09 PM]

Tony Aguila

Stunt Coordinator
It still sounds like a layer change to me. In some DVDs, there may not be an APPARENT freeze in the video but you might still "hear" the audio dropout. I have a Pioneer player, but I can't test that particular title because I don't own it. One way to tell if the disk is double sided, the surface will have a light gold color instead of white (silver).

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Can't be a layer change because Count Yorga Vampire is a single-layer disc. It must just be something slightly out of spec that the Pioneer players can't handle. Have you gotten firmware upgrades for the player?
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Tony Aguila

Stunt Coordinator
Now I'm intrigued... I will try to rent this disk. George, can you determine approximately the elapsed time in the movie when this happens? I can compare how it plays on my Pioneer Elite DV-09, and on my Sony S7700 and NS700P. Appreciate it...

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The paperwork that came with your player should have a contact number for customer service; you could try calling that and asking if there are any firmware updates for your model of player. Alternatively, if there is an authorized Pioneer repair facility nearby you could try them. I'll be interested to see what comes out of this.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator
It happens right at 1:10:52. It's when a sleeping Roger Perry is woken by a telephone ring. It's chapter 14.

Tony Aguila

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, my rental copy arrived today and was able to test it on my Pioneer Elite DV-F09 and there is no audio glitch at all. And I ran it over and over many times. I also played it on my computer and same thing... no audio cutout.
I try to keep a close watch on reported glitches on Pioneer players, and fortunately, none of these that I know of happen on my player. Maybe it has something to do with it being an Elite model.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I have to say, this sounds like the standard Pioneer lipsync problem that we occasionally used to see back in the day. Anyone remember Lost In Space or Lock, Stock?

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator
My Pioneer is a combo laser/DVD player (not an Elite) that I bought in '98. The problem is with certain Pioneer players not the disc, because the disc plays fine on every other player, and I've tried it on at least four other brands.

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Any last opionions on this? Thanks for all your help. I'm just convinced that there's a bug in the older Pioneer models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks