What's new

Ockeghem's All Things DARK SHADOWS (w/Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Starting on January 13th, I plan on re-visiting the 1991 revival show. It'll be exactly 25 years ago that it first aired. I'm going to try to follow the original air-dates as closely as possible (although they are a bit convoluted to start with). I'll also probably re-watch the 2012 Johnny Depp movie along the line as well. All of this is a ramp-up to my planned "50 years ago today" viewing of the entire original series starting next June.

Also, I believe it was about a year ago that Scott (Ockegham) passed away. I still miss his input on this thread.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
So, we're just a little over a month away from the 50th Anniversary of the very first broadcast episode of Dark Shadows! Anybody else planning on re-watching the entire series?

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi Paul, I plan to try. While watching my favorite summer story arcs of the show as I do every year 67-70. I started in January did lots of binge episodes and made it all the way into Barnabas. I stopped and decided I would count some of the episodes I watched on the decade binge which would take me to his having Maggie locked up in the Old House. I was going to watch the prime time one before I started the show back up. I am saving the bonus 1st episode for the anniversary.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Mark, after watching the entire series a few years ago, I was going to start over again early last year (2015), but decided to wait until this June. I'm going to try my best to keep to the actual "50 years ago" today schedule, although I may have to adjust "on the fly" to fit my schedule (hey, life happens).

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
I bought the complete series on Black Friday two years ago. I've been slowly working my way through. Currently, I'm at the tail end of the 1897 story with Count Petofi. As long as it's taking me to gt through it the first time, I'm not sure when I could get to a re-watch. ;) I am enjoying it very much.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well, gang, it was exactly 50 years ago today (June 13, 1966) that the Dark Shadows cast got together to tape the very first episode! I can't wait to start my re-viewing of the entire series starting just two weeks from today.

I was marathoning up through the early color episodes, but then stopped because I was watching other things. I plan to resume in the summer. Hopefully get through all of 1795 and then the Adam/Dream Curse storylines.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
We're less than a week away from the 50th Anniversary of the start of Dark Shadows! Last night, I decided to watch the "introduction" to the series with Alexandra Moltke on the very first disc of the first DVD set and it really got me in the mood to get started with the series. Burke Devlin, Bill Malloy, the first Sam Evans and the first Matthew Morgan...can't wait!

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Well, today's the day! 50 years ago today Dark Shadows first aired. I wonder what some of those "regular" soap opera viewers thought of the very first episode of Mr. Curtis's new production. I know what I'll be watching every weekday for the next five years or so. "My name Is Victoria Winters..." INDEED!!!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Congratulations to the cast and crew of Dark Shadows. 50 years old today! You made magic and fun for me as a kid growing up. Yes I was there for that very first show before it became a hit that all of us ran home to see. I celebrated this weekend with viewings of all 3 movies the NBC remake and one night of random selection of my favorite episodes. Lots of binge viewing that was. I plan to watch that first episode with commercials today and then return to my binge watching of 1967 Barnabas. I started watching the show this winter and that is where I stopped.

I also listened to some of the music and the CD audio versions of Return to Collinwood and Night Whispers where Jonathan again plays Barnabas for the very last time.

Dark Shadows has never left me over these past 50 years because I kept my reel to reel recordings and played them on a routine basis. Before we had VHS and the like. I was so happy to have the NJN recordings and never dreamed that the show would be mine thanks to MPI.

Congratulations again Dark Shadows for a wonderful 50 years.

Mark

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Well, I was 8 1/2 minutes late in starting the show. Errands ran long so it'll have to do.

But I dug out Disc 4 with the first episode with commercials intact and enjoyed seeing the very beginnings. I too was there 50 years ago, fascinated with the fact that this ABC soap opera was running on a local independent UHF channel that hadn't been on the air all that long. They had a weak signal in our area, so I had to watch the show on our little upstairs portable, the only TV in the house that had a UHF tuner.

It was fascinating then - as today - to see the F TROOP promo. Back then this promo aired on the UHF station that wasn't airing F TROOP.

That UHF station continued to carry DARK SHADOWS through the fall. I believe that by January or so, the show was finally picked up by the ABC affiliate.

bDetroit_Free_Press_Mon__Jun_27__1966_.jpg

44659765 DARK SHADOWS DEBUT.jpg

Harry

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Happy Anniversary, Dark Shadows!

I didn't discover this great show until the 90s, when it aired on the Sci-Fi Channel. I wish they had continued to air it. I don't have all of the DVDs yet to enjoy watching it from the beginning but I will one day.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Just watched the first episode last night. I forgot Conrad Bain was in it as the hotel clerk. Also reminded me of why I had such a crush on KLS (even with that blonde wig)!

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Well, I'm now 3 weeks (15 episodes) into my "50 years ago" viewing schedule. What a treat to once again view these initial episodes...gotta love that sneaky Burke Devlin! And that David was quite the little terror.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Well, I'm now 6 weeks into the "50 years ago today" viewing schedule. I forgot how SLOW these first story lines are moving. I read somewhere else that there were no supernatural elements to these early shows. While that's mostly true, there's still talk of "ghosts" and there's the widows cries and some mysterious doors opening and closing. So, while it's certainly nowhere near as wild as it would eventually get, I wouldn't say it's TOTALLY without some supernatural touches in the early going.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks