What's new

Ockeghem's All Things DARK SHADOWS (w/Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Ethan Riley said:
How many episodes was the 1897 storyline? I've never seen it.
It was the longest storyline of any of the time shifting stories. It lasted most of 1969, starting in March and ending in the fall. According to sources, it ran for 183 episodes.There were many sub-stories within the main arc, and a number of actors played multiple parts.We're up through 705 today.Harry

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Ockeghem said:
Radioman,

Is this Tony Peterson (Jerry Lacy) you're talking about? If so, I have some commercials in which he appears in a collection at home. Here is one of them:

That's the guy! And I'll be danged. I had the thought "he looks like he should be a gumshoe!" and there he is doing a really good Boggart.
David Weicker said:
Jerry Lacy played 'Bogart' in Woody Allen's Play It Again Sam
I don't think I've seen that. I need to finish up my woody collection. I still don't have Sleeper, Annie Hall, or Everything you always wanted to know about sex but were afraid to ask. :(

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I need to sheepishly admit that I had a nightmare last night, literally waking up screaming, and it was an evil Quentin Collins, laughing, that sent me over the edge!

QuentinLaughing.jpg

:blush:

Harry

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
And one of the best storylines of the whole series. Many fans pick 1897 as their favorite part of the series. I'm one of them.
Harry-N said:
It was the longest storyline of any of the time shifting stories. It lasted most of 1969, starting in March and ending in the fall. According to sources, it ran for 183 episodes.There were many sub-stories within the main arc, and a number of actors played multiple parts.We're up through 705 today.Harry

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Neato! I can't remember if I've dreamed any DS. I did have a dream I bought a huge house in the middle of nowhere, foggy/misty and monotone dark like before a storm, the house had huge dirty glass windows, huge over grown yard, just a whole hell of a lot of mess and work that I stupidly bought and would have to maintain myself! The only part of the place that was immaculate was the bedroom. So I could at least sleep peacefully. Now, if that isn't inspired by DS I don't know what is! lol

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just wanted to let DS fans know that I ordered the following.Remembering Jonathan Frid. Great book on the last years of Jonathans life from loyal fans that were close to the actor. DS books sell out fast. I ordered and read the book when it first came out. I enjoyed it very much.Jonathan Frid's starring role in Oliver Stone's directorial debut Seizure is now in Blu-ray and DVD. I watched this new restored version last weekend and loved it.We see Jonathan as a Husband and Father. The film was made on location in Canada. I love the fact that the movie was made just a few years after DS. If fans can afford the BD go with it.I so enjoyed this film. The reviews at Amazon are for the old copy and not the new one. The picture quality and sound have been restored.Thought I had better post this now because Halloween is getting close.The book and the film can all be obtained from Amazon.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Powell&Pressburger said:
I think I'm getting closer to meeting Quetin Collins I just finished Disc 67 Disc 68 next Episode 645. I will start that disc probably tomorrow.
Powell,You should be meeting the 'spirit' of Quentin and one other person soon. You must have reached the point where David and Amy discover the secret room in the west wing. These are (at least to me) some of the more magical moments in the series. :)

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Ockeghem said:
Powell,You should be meeting the 'spirit' of Quentin and one other person soon. You must have reached the point where David and Amy discover the secret room in the west wing. These are (at least to me) some of the more magical moments in the series. :)
I watched all of Disc 68 I think it got up to Ep 655. So the episodes were really good IMO. The story just seemed to go fast compared to other storylines. I really like the medium who showed up and I was hoping she got to have a scene with Grayson Hall because she is my favorite. Even if her main action is giving out sedatives like candy. I love that Joan Bennet was in many of the episodes however later on the sory switched to her older storyline of her curse of being buried alive. I can't wait till we get past that cause it just seems tired, then again it may seem that way to me becuase I don't like her character going crazy haha.It was also nice to get away from the Adam storyline also. There are just so many characters that I suppose everyone needs to have a turn but it was nice have the episodes with the main family for the most part. It was nice having Maggie's character back on the show. The only thing I know to happen will be meeting Quentin Collins but honestly besides that I know nothing of where the show goes from here. So everything else will be a surprise.update: Episode 656 Mr Jarrett enter Collinwood and asks to speak to Mr Jonathan Awesome flub, I had to watch it over to make sure he said that!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I know the feeling. The whole 1897 storyline is a bit of a blur to me. I remember some standout characters and situations, but really, if asked, I couldn't tell you much about where the story is going. Talk about storylines - there seem to be a ton of them, and I know we haven't met everyone we're going to meet yet. (We're around 740 at the moment.)

I think we're nearing an Angelique/Laura Collins showdown, but again, I have no remembrance of where it all leads. During this storyline, I was in my first year of college and had days when I couldn't watch, relying on others to fill me in, so actually SEEING some of these things is kind of refreshing - like seeing new episodes.

Harry

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Just finished Episode 667 and I've noticed the pacing of the episodes have really sped up in good ways or maybe it is just me a lot of things seem to be happening. Also I've noticed Dan Curtis as director on many of the episodes ive just been watching. It has been so long since I started the show that I can't recall if he directed any early episodes or not. The ratings from Dec 69-thru Jan from what I've watched must have been really good. Anyone know any behind the scenes trivia around this time frame that led Curtis to direct some episodes?

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Trace love to know what you think of Seizure.Harry you are watching the great Laura and Angelique fight plot which I so enjoyed. 1897 builds in ratings to the very highest rated episode the return of Barnabas episode in late fall of 1969.Jack I do not know of any triva but this period you are in will throw you a curve that will stop the Quentin storyline cold for about a week and a half if you have not viewed it already. There is a great fan favorite episode coming up which Harry produced a card of Carolyn meets the Werewolf.Ok I have tell fans if you have not purchased Night Whispers do so. The return of Barnabas on a audio drama cd. Get this before it goes out of print. Worse costs way to much to buy. The other Return to Collinwood with as much of the old cast as they could gather. Many other audio dramas on the series have been put out as I believe Trace has spoke of here before.The great thing about Night Whispers is that you can listen now. Jonathan being Barnabas again is a great treat and does not spoil any of the plot you people are watching.I also want to tell fans to get the Dark Shadows audio cd book. Great for fans who have seen the series.The other Fan Favorites on VHS collectors 54. 3 great episodes with commercials that are NOT in your complete set.I watch every year special episodes from all five years at the time of year they aired. I am in the fall of 66 67 68 1897 and 1840. I am holding off on one of mine and Scott's favorite Josette makes her appearance at the Old House.Happy viewing people and love reading you all. Dark Shadows will always be my number one show.I also watched the Burton film last weekend and will be watching the two DS films on Halloween and Halloween week.Again all 3 movies can be viewed by you guys without spoiling the DS plot you are watching. Fans think of the two movies as a sort of PT DS. What fans think of the Burton film I will not even touch.

tracyedgar

Stunt Coordinator
LOL--now now! Not ALL fans! I'm about as diehard DS fan as they come (with the original series) being my favorite of course. But, I happen to like the Burton film. I never expected it to come close to the original series, so I wasn't too disappointed. I gave it a solid "B-" for a grade. Really, I didn't mind the comic elements. I couldn't give it an "A" though because I felt like Depp and Burton missed a GREAT opportunity. The movie is beautiful to look at...the cast is great...the horror elements are wonderful...but the movie overall feels rushed and the ending is a hot mess.

If they had taken the time to develop the father-son relationship between Roger and David, and showed more of Victoria and Barnabas (she kinda just disappears and her character goes nowhere.)

From what I understand, a lot of key scenes got cut, and the overall film suffered from changing directors. They could have SO EASILY made a perfect film, but they didn't--they missed a very easy opportunity, and that's a shame. However, none of that takes away from the beauty of this film, the gorgeous imagery, the haunting pre-credits scenes (which were sadly too short), the mesmerizing scenes of the train with actual OPENING CREDITS (I almost cried of happiness to see opening credits when NO movies have them anymore) to the perfect "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues.

Yeah--much to love, and a few tears of sorrow for missed opportunities. Solid "B-"

:)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I did buy the Burton film, at the same time I picked up the older films. All on blu ray. I"m actually looking forward to them all, even the new one.

I liked Sweeney Todd so I'm hoping DS looks kind of sort of similar.

tracyedgar

Stunt Coordinator
Oh very much like Seeeney Todd! Except for the 1970s look--which is kitschy-kooky. I bought the BluRay too, because I'm captivated by the beauty of the film! Wait until you see Collinwood!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks