What's new

Ockeghem's All Things DARK SHADOWS (w/Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

tracyedgar

Stunt Coordinator
I'll be there Charles--I've been going to the Fests with my friend Sue on both coasts for at least five years now. I don't think you know me, but I know who you are from your interactions with the cast--and they all know you! Plus...they all depend on your extensive knowledge of the storylines to answer the questions that they can't answer! So, it would be virtually impossible for anyone to NOT know who Charles Ellis is! LOL! I'll make sure to say hello at some point! I'm one of the young guys, pushing an older lady in a wheelchair (Sue). ~Tracy

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Yesterday we got through 578, the episode where Carolyn Stoddard was played by Diana Walker. For in impromptu drop-in like that, I thought that both the casting director and Ms. Walker did a credible job.

But it also underscores just how much Nancy Barrett owned that role. Getting to see someone else attempt it really brings that home.

And I wanted to add that the whole subplot of Julia being under the influence of Tom Jennings came out of left field for me. That must have taken place at a time when I didn't have access to audio tapes nor friends taping the episodes for me. I hadn't seen it coming and was totally surprised by it. It's nice when that kind of thing happens as it raises the appreciation level of the series.

Harry

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Harry,I would be very hard-pressed to name my all-time favorite actor / actress from the original Dark Shadows, but Nancy Barrett is certainly among my top three. You are right when you say she owned that role.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Remarkable....absolutely remarkable to the actors and actresses that made the entire 1966-1971 DS run. People talk about and rightly so about the remarkable effort by Janssen in his tireless efforts as probably the most overworked TV prime time actor for the four years that he put in for "The Fugitive"....the DS crew deserve a similar honor for their tireless efforts as well (as I guess any of the long term Soap Opera actors and actresses) but DS gets the nod in the SO category given the many different characters the regular cast played out over that time.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Ockeghem said:
Harry,I would be very hard-pressed to name my all-time favorite actor / actress from the original Dark Shadows, but Nancy Barrett is certainly among my top three. You are right when you say she owned that role.
Very few could do convincing "angst" like Nancy Barrett.

Harry

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I finally resumed watching some Dark Shadows since my daughter's schedule allowed it. ;) We watched four episodes (nos. 782-785) the other night. We're at the point where Count Petofi's hand is making the early rounds. I must say that I loved the make-up on Evan Hanley after he was attacked. I thought that was very creepy and well done.

I've also been going back in time myself and watching other storylines from the series. I watched episodes nos. 49-52 two nights ago. This is where Bill Malloy has disappeared and the entire town is wondering what has happened to him. One of the more intense moments in the early part of the series for me is when Carolyn and Victoria go back to Widow's Hill to look for Carolyn's watch. The last moments of one of the episodes has both of them looking over the ledge and screaming as they see a dead body floating in the water at the bottom of Widow's Hill.

Last night, I watched episodes nos. 364-366. The seance (episode no. 365) when Victoria goes back in time (and Phyllis Wick comes forward in time) is one of the more magical moments for me in the series. I love Victoria's disorientation when she just appears in 1795 and has no idea how she got there. And seeing Sarah in both times was fun. She has stern warnings for Barnabas in the present and will eventually become quite ill (thanks to one of our favorite characters) in the past.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm still pining for the old Burke. :( I really need to get a grip on that and head back in. I'm only bothered by how more accepting Elizabeth is to this new Burke. Too much change!

Get over it right?!! lol

btw, I'm around 330 or so...

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
We're on a bit of a hiatus this week as we are in the upper 600s. We've seen Vicki leave the series, Maggie take up the governess job, Elizabeth dead - no she's not, Chris Jennings arrive and move into Matthew's old cottage, Quentin and Beth as ghosts possessing the children.

The series took on a more "disjointed" appearance at this point. Multiple story lines are juggled and a lot of leaps of illogic are taking place. Elizabeth hops out of her coffin and everyone just welcomes her home and accepts that it was all Cassandra's doing - as if such actions are commonplace. Well, I suppose they ARE in Collinsport!

But there are lots of unexplained absences - long stretches where characters are not around. Roger took off for London and hasn't been seen for awhile. Carolyn disappeared while Vicki was marrying/longing for Peter/Jeff and just suddenly returned. David was absent for ages and also just reappeared one day. Barnabas and Julia went off to visit Professor Stokes in one episode, never seemed to get there, or get an answer. Angelique was destroyed by fire rather too easily. With all of the evils she's delivered over the centuries, why didn't someone do game-set-*match* with her earlier?

I think the loss of Vicki Winters threw the series writers into a bit of a tizzy having to quickly end her storyline and hastily start another, which probably accounted for some of the disjointedness at this point of the series.

So far, the wife is bored with the kids/Quentin storyline, and only slightly more engaged with the Chris Jennings/werewolf story.

We'll probably get back to it sometime in the next week.

Harry

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The Post In Honor of My Aunt Vi who took the time to watch the September 1st 1969 Labor Day episode of Dark Shadows. My Grandparents my Aunt and myself always took an annual Labor Day ride. We had to wait for Dark Shadows to be over of course. My Aunt had never seen the show before. My Aunt was full of questions when we got into the car for our ride. I loved those questions so much!!!

The episode had Angelique casting a spell over Trask. Count Petofi comes in and breaks the spell while Quentin is locked in the basement cell ready to turn into a werewolf. So I will parked in front of my TV at 3:00 PM to watch this episode along with the other 3 episodes. Bill Malloy at the bottom of Widows Hill 1966 Barnabas and Willie in 1967 and the family search for David and ends with Barnabas about to bite Vicky. The best Barnabas stakes Tom Jennings in 1968

Labor day is very special to me where Dark Shadows is concerned. I loved my Grandparents and my Aunt very much but feel as if they are with me watching the episode again by my side when I play that very special September 1st DS episode

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm up to 350 now, spectacular! Currently Barnabas looks like he needs to stand way up to the mirror with tweezers plucking the grays until he's like Yul Brinner! lol ... erm, well maybe mirror wouldn't work... but...

a thought... DS might have this built in spoiler with Barnabas even for those of us who are basically new with only passing knowledge. I know if I had been old enough to watch in the 60s first run I would be not cheering for Barnabas, that's for sure! His current state would have me happy.... (with all due respects and apologies to Barnabas fans, I almost always cheer for the good guy and he's evil!) . I hate that I don't get that sensation, seriously considering that any episode now he'd be taken out! But I know he's on there for the long haul. Which is good! That character is like the potatoes in the vegetable soup! Good soup without, but worthy of seconds WITH! But still...

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
James,We just finished episodes nos. 787-788 last night. This is where we hear two versions of "Quentin's Theme" as well as "Shadows Of the Night." Quentin is in jail (1897) as a werewolf (he's been caught since he stepped into a bear trap). And Barnabas is at the jail with the jailor under control -- but then Edward shows up, which may throw a wrench into things. Barnabas was quite menacing in this episode (no. 788). His make-up had quite an edge to it.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Oh yeah! Forgot mention, I saw that there was an interview with a make up guy and was eager to see what crazy thing they were going to do! I felt the work was a stunner. I didn't know he was the same guy who did Little Big Man, Dustin Hoffman. But it looked so good you'd almost think they got some old guy to come in for it while lip-syncing!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
354 goining on 355

Carolyn is on remote control! Vicki looks to be getting fit for a pair of Maggie's shoes.

Radioman doesn't like this. I'd like to jump into the screen as Burke (the REAL one, not the one currently somewhere, and perhaps in various places at the same time, in the amazon) and bust up those little deals! But I really like what's become of Dr. Hoffman.

Having some real world problems causing sleep problems, but DS is an escape much needed.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
We just did a mini-marathon of 688 through 695. The family has been ousted by the ghosts, moving to the Old House, and Barnabas is digging into the Collins family history.

Some great scary scenes with QC.

Next session should get us to the start of the long 1897 storyline.

Harry

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
360 at the moment, then an interview on the dvd (I'm risking these for now). This new lawyer is like the old Burke. I like how he's no pushover with Carolyn. Burke was no pushover either. I don't think this new guy is man crush material like the old Burke was. :wub: lol too prettyboy for my taste. He does have Lugoshi dark leering eyeballs, like Michael Dorn from Trek. Both those actors could easily slip on a cape and teeth grins and look just right.

The actor looks familiar like he was in some things as a kid actor. But I'm afraid to look him up. I don't want to know if they are dead on DS or on Earth quite yet! If Burke is permiantly gone from the show I'll look both those actors up.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
the original Burke has been mentioned on this past page of the thread and I really loved the original Burke and I loved the episodes known as The Begining. I am currently on Disc 67 I think it is. but I would have to check to see what eps. I think 630-something I think?

In one episode I just watched last nite Barnabas and Julia are starting to do another bring a corpse back to life - this time it is the dead body of Eve and with Maggie's help. But it was hilarious when Julia says something along the lines of this is the last time lol and Barnabas just says something like Don't even bring it up again. (My words are all wrong) but it was hilarious because you as the audience are thinking the same thing. Great exchange on that one.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Radioman,

Is this Tony Peterson (Jerry Lacy) you're talking about? If so, I have some commercials in which he appears in a collection at home. Here is one of them:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Radioman970 said:
360 at the moment, then an interview on the dvd (I'm risking these for now). This new lawyer is like the old Burke. I like how he's no pushover with Carolyn. Burke was no pushover either. I don't think this new guy is man crush material like the old Burke was. :wub: lol too prettyboy for my taste. He does have Lugoshi dark leering eyeballs, like Michael Dorn from Trek. Both those actors could easily slip on a cape and teeth grins and look just right. The actor looks familiar like he was in some things as a kid actor. But I'm afraid to look him up. I don't want to know if they are dead on DS or on Earth quite yet! If Burke is permiantly gone from the show I'll look both those actors up.
Jerry Lacy played 'Bogart' in Woody Allen's Play It Again Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks