What's new

Ockeghem's All Things DARK SHADOWS (w/Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Stay tuned for the Newlywed Game!

I don't know yet if Vickie and Burke get together, I somehow don't think a washer & dryer would be the right prize "chosen just for them".

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Hey James, as a quick check you might want to look at the size of one of the disks in a computer. I just saw where someone was complaining of an imitation "knock-off" set that was sold on ebay. It came in questionable condition. The glaring thing was that the disks were all single layer and not dual layer disks. Dual layer disks would typically be anyhere from 6 to 8 GB. If these are in the 4.7 GB territory then it would seem to be a knock-off set. Just something you might want to check out.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
disc 2. 4.7

disc 3. 4.35

disc 93. 4.35

crap. That what I have.

From an amazon review.
Here are the tell-tale signs of the counterfeit Dark Shadows DVD set:I confirmed ALL of these with MPI Home video.1. This will tell you if your set is fake right away. The real DVDs are DUAL LAYER FORMAT. Meaning if your discs are all 4.35 GBs(single layer), THEY ARE FAKE. The real DVDs are 6 to 8 GBs and have a gold look to them.2. The coffin box. It is very cheaply made and usually torn in spots, the coffin lid "stopper" or prop is not included on the counterfeit. Colors are very faded looking. The coffin box should not be shrink wrapped but encased in a special form-fitting cardboard box and the coffin box is also in a special plastic bag.3. The actual DVD cases are very cheaply made and incredibly scuffed up. The real set has very nice, high quality cases.4. Many of my DVDs had scuffing, scratching, and other marks. The Paint wasn't quite right on a lot of Discs.5. The booklet is made of cheap quality paper and the printing is substandard at best.

Damn. Well, I'll have to ask for a refund on this garbage. I asked them if they were made in China. They said "no". I didn't think to ask if it was counterfeit.

Anybody else ever have this happen with something? How did you handle it?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Dear blor2086, Hold off shipping a replacement. This set is counterfeit. (see below) (from an amazon.com review) 1. This will tell you if your set is fake right away. The real DVDs are DUAL LAYER FORMAT. Meaning if your discs are all 4.35 GBs(single layer), THEY ARE FAKE. The real DVDs are 6 to 8 GBs and have a gold look to them. 2. The coffin box. It is very cheaply made and usually torn in spots, the coffin lid "stopper" or prop is not included on the counterfeit. Colors are very faded looking. The coffin box should not be shrink wrapped but encased in a special form-fitting cardboard box and the coffin box is also in a special plastic bag. 3. The actual DVD cases are very cheaply made and incredibly scuffed up. The real set has very nice, high quality cases. 4. Many of my DVDs had scuffing, scratching, and other marks. The Paint wasn't quite right on a lot of Discs. 5. The booklet is made of cheap quality paper and the printing is substandard at best. I wanted an official set like what amazon sells. Not a glorified bootleg. Please issue a refund instead. If you want this back then include enough for shipping. I will not ship this back to you at my cost. Once you issue a refund I'm going to buy one from amazon. No hard feelings. But I asked you before buying if it was from China and you said "no". :( - radioman970

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I took a look at disk 105 that happened to be handy since that is the one we are currently watching and it comes in at just over 7 GB. Considering there are almost always 10 episodes per disk that makes sense, and is pretty standard in the industry (i.e., 8 to 10, 30 minute episodes per a dual layer disk). I'm guessing all disks in the set should be about the same.

When I read a review about the knock-off's and about the shape of the product on receipt (e.g., banged up corners, marks on disks) it reminded me of your experience. Then the thought that they said to throw away the other product and that they would send a new one. That just seemed a bit too nice for a legitimate product (in loss of revenue).

So I'm guessing it is an imitation. I believe Star Trek releases have a fair number of knock-offs as well. My guess is that they just shrink the content from a legitimate release to fit on single layer disks to save costs. I read once where a speaker company (M&K) finally decided to go offshore for the production of their speaker cabinets. later on a bunch of copycats came out. It was suspected they came from the same Asian factory. The main difference was the lack of good quality control (another cost saving move).

So not thinking about the packaging and cases, you probably have the legitimate content, but just at 50% of the bitrate. Then there is the question of the quality of disk manufacturing. If you decide to keep it, I would verify all the disks play just fine. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If someone knows different about my assumptions, please speak up.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
smithbrad said:
Hey James, as a quick check you might want to look at the size of one of the disks in a computer. I just saw where someone was complaining of an imitation "knock-off" set that was sold on ebay. It came in questionable condition. The glaring thing was that the disks were all single layer and not dual layer disks. Dual layer disks would typically be anyhere from 6 to 8 GB. If these are in the 4.7 GB territory then it would seem to be a knock-off set. Just something you might want to check out.
I feel like I owe you money. You've been so helpful. Ty :thumbsup:

One thing I noticed was on disc 93, the menu is totally different. Cheaper looking. I take it the official ones are consistent throughout.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Radioman970 said:
I feel like I owe you money. You've been so helpful. Ty :thumbsup:

One thing I noticed was on disc 93, the menu is totally different. Cheaper looking. I take it the official ones are consistent throughout.
Actually, no the menus are not consistent. I think they basically produced the original sets in maybe groupings across several years, and each grouping uses a different menu structure. I believe I have seen probably five different menu structures so far. My take, counterfeiters wouldn't take time to do something like that.

While this is a complete set of the entire series, and they did create a consistent look for the disk label, the content is using the same menu structure as the previous releases. The only difference I think there might be between these and the original collections is that originally they edited out some of the mistakes made during filming (e.g, actor mistakes, visual booms) for a few of the collections. But fans complained about this, they wanted it just how it was aired. So I think they may have fixed that for this release and the latest individual collections. The experts can confirm if I am getting this right. I'm a first time viewer to this series.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Wait until you see the one where Jonathan accidently walks across the set when they are filming the end credits. In the early episodes you get to see the episode count and how many takes each episode had (mostly just one). These aren't in the prints used after the "beginning" (pre-Barnabas). But yes, as most fans agree, it all adds to the charm of the show.

Enjoy, you have a long journey ahead of you.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
smithbrad said:
While this is a complete set of the entire series, and they did create a consistent look for the disk label, the content is using the same menu structure as the previous releases. The only difference I think there might be between these and the original collections is that originally they edited out some of the mistakes made during filming (e.g, actor mistakes, visual booms) for a few of the collections. But fans complained about this, they wanted it just how it was aired. So I think they may have fixed that for this release and the latest individual collections. The experts can confirm if I am getting this right. I'm a first time viewer to this series.
Brad,This is my understanding as well with regard to the menu structure and the editing of some of the earlier collections. I don't own the Coffin box set (I already own the series in its entirety on VHS and DVD), so I don't know the exact ranges of the 'fixed' material, but I think you've got this right. I also read that the Coffin box set has some footage not contained in the original thirty-two (six + twenty-six) DVD collections.

"In the early episodes you get to see the episode count and how many takes each episode had (mostly just one)."

I actually saw one (and only one) Take 3(!) on one of the earlier production slates. This was right around the time (or just prior to I believe) that the first Willie Loomis (James Hall) was replaced with John Karlen.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Well they said they "didn't know it was counterfeit" and refunded me. Said they already sent that other one but stopped the shipment. Said they are sending $10 to cover shipping the original one back. I told them to check that shipping amount for accuracy. I have to use up all my packing tape as well. lol ...About $390 on amazon. I paid $240 for the knockoff. I'm having to wait until after payday to see if I can get one or have to wait. such a bummer. October is almost here and DS was to be the highlight. yes, I'm looking for all the pity people want to give!! :(

Seems like episode 1 had a Take 3. the announcer says something funny but I can't remember what it was. There's another where an actress ("Caroline") walks on set to get ready while they are showing the slate.

I can't wait to see him walk on during the credits. lol The effect there, with the empty set as the credits roll gives you time to consider what will happen next time. That will be funny for that time to be interrupted. :D

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Ockeghem said:
Brad,This is my understanding as well with regard to the menu structure and the editing of some of the earlier collections. I don't own the Coffin box set (I already own the series in its entirety on VHS and DVD), so I don't know the exact ranges of the 'fixed' material, but I think you've got this right. I also read that the Coffin box set has some footage not contained in the original thirty-two (six + twenty-six) DVD collections.

"In the early episodes you get to see the episode count and how many takes each episode had (mostly just one)."

I actually saw one (and only one) Take 3(!) on one of the earlier production slates. This was right around the time (or just prior to I believe) that the first Willie Loomis (James Hall) was replaced with John Karlen.
Actually, the only episode that MPI 'fixed' for the coffin release was the Bathia Mapes episode where she forgot her line and you hear someone off camera feed her the line. All of the other slightly edited episodes from the earlier sets (Sets 1-12) appear the same in the coffin set. Sorry to dash your hopes of a 100% complete version of this show but the only version that I am aware of that is 100% complete and unedited is the 254 VHS volumes.

Now the DVD menues did change from time to time. The six volume Beggining set used one menu and sets 1-26 used a different menu after every ten sets. So sets 1-10 use one menu (Collinwood in the background), set 11-20 use another menue (the Collins Mausoleum) and sets 21-26 use yet another menu (the sea side, that I believe is supposed to be the cliff at Widow's Hill).

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Wow! You hear someone off camera feeding a line! That's awesome. This might be the only show I have that feels like it does when you watch. I don't guess they had a studio audience watching. Also, I don't guess the show was broadcast live... in Tootsie, dustin hoffman, they mention having to do one live.

Well, I think my friendly ebay seller isn't wanting this bootleg back so that's buying me some time. I'll watch it until I can afford the real thing. I'd almost pay "something" for it. Not sure what though.... $50? I guess it's still illegal and all. And damaged! lol you know, the cases they used are also very very cheap. And they have a certain smell. I'm wondering if that's harmful.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Radioman970 said:
Wow! You hear someone off camera feeding a line! That's awesome. This might be the only show I have that feels like it does when you watch. I don't guess they had a studio audience watching. Also, I don't guess the show was broadcast live... in Tootsie, dustin hoffman, they mention having to do one live.

The show wasn't broadcast live (well maybe the odd exception), but it was generally recorded 'live' - warts and all - without retakes. I recall someone saying something like 'we don't care if you see a crew man in the background - if he has his pants on, we keep going'

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Brian Himes said:
Now the DVD menues did change from time to time. The six volume Beggining set used one menu and sets 1-25 used a different menu after every ten sets. So sets 1-10 use one menu (Collinwood in the background), set 11-20 use another menue (the Collins Mausoleum) and sets 21-25 use yet another menu (the sea side, that I believe is supposed to be the cliff at Widow's Hill).
Brian,Okay, thanks. I may have misunderstood. I thought Brad was saying he believed that the menus used for the previous releases were the same used for the new release, not that the menus didn't change every now and then within the sets themselves. I remember how much I loved seeing (and of course hearing the accompanying music to) the opening to The Beginning (blue and grey) series and later when we got to see the movement into the Mausoleum in the 'red' series. How many changes of menu were there in the thirty-two DVD collections? I can think of four, but then again I haven't yet watched all of my DVD collections at this point.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
We just recently started collection 21. My memory of the menus for the coffin set are similar with possibly one minor caveat.
- Beginnings menu in the blue and grey
- Collinwood in the background with a horizontal menu at the bottom
- Collinwood in the background with a vertical menu at the left side
- Collins Mausoleum menu
- Sea side menu

So even though the background was the same, if my recollection is correct, I counted the Collinwood background twice because of the different menu placement. Before getting the coffin set I had purchased and watched the red collections one through seven, and then the beginnings blue collection (only watched the first collection before swapping out to purchase the complete coffin set). I deduced that the disk content never actually changed between the individual collection releases and the coffin release based on my earlier experience. The menu's for the disks in the coffin set even still use the collections numbering and not the coffin disk numbering. For example, disk 105 of the coffin set is labeled as part of collection 21.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
James, sorry you ended up with the knock-off set. When you do get the official one, you're in for quite a ride! It's amazing what the actors were able to pull off, warts and all.

I'm currently up through Episode #1197. A lot has happened as Angelique has lost her powers, Quentin and Desmond have been spared from the ax and Gerard has been killed. We've also seen glimpses of PT, with some new characters, including Bramwell.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Mr. Handley said:
James, sorry you ended up with the knock-off set. When you do get the official one, you're in for quite a ride! It's amazing what the actors were able to pull off, warts and all.
Hey, thanks! I'm on eps 11, I think. #10 was a Friday episode (found using Scott's method above) and ended with Burke showing up at the house. Dealing with all this counterfeit non-sense yesterday I didn't get time to see what happens so I'm on pins and needles. I'm sure when this aired back then people were on the phone talking about might happen next. I'm also interested in what this little kid David is up to. He's snooping around a lot, and very vocal about people. I don't want to know if he does,... but I'm hoping he'll start happening upon things he's not supposed to be finding.

I've decided I'll have to wait for a sale. It's about $390 with tax on amazon. So I'm hoping for near $300 or less, but if it doesn't I'll just get it. lol I plan to save up for it to avoid billmelater as well. Amazon doesn't offer that. At least I"ll have fun comparing this knockoff with the real thing someday. ...I had fun with that seller on ebay explaining why I'm the first to complain about it being a knockoff. I'm a collector with standards, plus I have friends on this forum who steer me in the right direction. :cheers:

Menus. I noticed the #93 menu has a static background with text over it. Totally different from the early season. I can take shots of several sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks