What's new

Ockeghem's All Things DARK SHADOWS (w/Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I've been watching this via NetFlix (which started with the first DVD set (arrival of Barnabas). Watch an episode during my lunch break.Been a few years since I watched it (the SciFi cycles, ran home from school for the originals).Most of it is as good as I remember, but like all soaps, some story lines are better than others (the Jason McGuire blackmail/wedding was just tiresome).Yesterday was one of the most important episodes in the entire series (given the hindsight of where the series went). - Barnabas NOT biting Victoria, and Barnabas and Julia meeting for the first time. However, for such an iconic episode, the dialogue was very clunky. Still, I'm enjoying the journey. Only about a week away from the switch to color.David

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I have a question for the DS knowledgeable.

My wife and I have been watching DS for the last 16 months (about 15 episodes a week), since we received the complete series. We are up to episode 969 and they threw a curve at us (surprise, surprise), but I can't quite figure out the reference to the past. They brought back Peter Bradford's ghost to torment Jeb Hawke. The claim is that Peter killed off Jeb's former self back in time by forcing him off Widow's Hill so that he drowned. This is suppose to have all occurred because Victoria dies from Widow's Hill by result of Jeb.

Now there have been so many episodes and so many times characters come back into the picture that my memory could be fuzzy. My question is: Was there a story line where Vicky finally ended up going of the cliff at Widow's Hill?

The aspect of Peter and Jeb seems obviously a new revelation of the past, but it seems an off fit. I'm thinking they should have just let the ghost of Caroline's father do the tormenting or Angelique. The Peter and Jeb things just seems a bit forced for such a short instance of episodes, but maybe there is more to come. Are they trying to imply that the Leviathan's made a bid to dominate in the late 1700's but failed and that is why they used Barnabas to bring them to the future, to try again?

Anyway, whether the best way to go or not with the story, it all comes back to a tie in with Vicky's death, and I just can't remember if we had heard that before, or if they just added that as a new twist to Vicky. Is it all going to become more clear as the episodes go on, or was it just flicker of insight they put in to throw us a curve on who the ghost was?

Insight would be appreciated, without additional spoiler's of what is yet to come :)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Ockeghem said:
Richard,Many, many thanks for the clippings and reviews. I've saved the images in folders. I haven't read all of those before, and I certainly haven't read them in those particular publications. One of them reminded me somewhat of a review I read of Cleveland Amory -- perhaps it was his review of the show from a 1969 issue of TV Guide. Great stuff for sure. :)
Glad you liked them, Ockeghem.

If you have that review from TV Guide I'd ask you to scan and post it right here. I'd like to read it. When I was a youngtser I kept a scrapbook of Dark Shadows clippings. Many things in there that would be fascinating today. Lost track of it decades of ago.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Richard--W said:
Glad you liked them, Ockeghem.

If you have that review from TV Guide I'd ask you to scan and post it right here. I'd like to read it. When I was a youngtser I kept a scrapbook of Dark Shadows clippings. Many things in there that would be fascinating today. Lost track of it decades of ago.
Richard,I do own photocopies of the article by Amory, but these were sent to me by an HTF friend, Mark Collins. I'll ask him (or he'll see it here, since he reads this thread often) if he might consider posting them right here. His scans would no doubt be a lot better than the ones I currently own. Incidentally, after you posted the images above, I wrote to Mark informing him of what you posted. So he should be checking in soon.Ahh, those scrapbooks. I did that too, but I did it more for sports teams (and especially the daily standings) than for television shows. It was a wonderful and very interesting hobby of mine for a few years. However, I did collect television shows (like baseball, basketball, football, and hockey cards) on cards that I brought with me to school almost every day.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I had Dark Shadows trading cards when I was a youngster. Complete sets and hundreds of extras. I wonder what happened to them all.

I remember David Selby as a werewolf on the back puzzle of one of the sets.

If anyone has Dark Shadows trading cards, why not scan them and post them here.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Richard,It's odd, but I can't remember ever consciously discarding my collections either. I have no idea where they ended up. I had three or four shoeboxes full of many different cards (sports, television shows, and those quirky 'product' cards where various items you bought at the supermarket were spoofed). I used to love those product cards that were spoofed. They were a lot of fun to read and to share with others.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Richard--W said:
I had Dark Shadows trading cards when I was a youngster. Complete sets and hundreds of extras. I wonder what happened to them all.

I remember David Selby as a werewolf on the back puzzle of one of the sets.

If anyone has Dark Shadows trading cards, why not scan them and post them here.
I had full sets of both the pink and green bubble-gum cards. My mother worked at the factory in Havertown, PA where they were made and got me full sets.

I kept them up until it was time to retire and move south into a smaller house, so I reasoned that they had to go. We sold them on eBay for many hundreds of dollars.

But before I gave them up, I did quick digital photos of all of them - in pairs. Possibly I could set up a Photobucket album with them all in it. If I do I'll post about it here.

Here are some samples:

View attachment 3724 View attachment 3725 View attachment 3726 View attachment 3727

Harry

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Ockeghem said:
Richard,and those quirky 'product' cards where various items you bought at the supermarket were spoofed). I used to love those product cards that were spoofed. They were a lot of fun to read and to share with others.
Wacky Paks! Sold a lot of those when I worked in the drug store!

Harry

Attachments

• DSC02084.JPG
    DSC02084.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC02114.JPG
    DSC02114.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC02144.JPG
    DSC02144.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC02128.JPG
    DSC02128.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 64

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Harry-N said:
Wacky Paks! Sold a lot of those when I worked in the drug store!

Harry
Harry,

Yes, exactly! I couldn't recall what the name of those cards were. Much appreciated. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
It's odd, but I can't remember ever consciously discarding my collections either. I have no idea where they ended up.
I always think it is the parents to blame when those things just sort of "go missing." Which is just one of the many reasons I refer to my mother as a "saint." She kept all my childhood card collections for me (when i was disinterested in high school, went away to college, got married, etc.). But the day I reminisced about them...there they were in all their cardboard glory. :biggrin:

No Dark Shadows for me. That show scared the crap out of me when I was a youngster. But I had all the Batman (Adam West and comic) series. And some Green Hornet...and oh!--the baseball! Because of my mom, I still have my Nolan Ryan rookie card (1968 Topps #177)!

But back to our regularly scheduled Dark Shadows discussion! :blush:

party-smiley-004.gif

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Lovely images, Harry-N. Memories rushing through my brain.

I'm not someone who can spend hundreds of dollars on such things, but I'd be content with a full set of scans.

Anyone else have Dark Shadows cards they can post here?

Let's see 'em.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike Frezon said:
I always think it is the parents to blame when those things just sort of "go missing." Which is just one of the many reasons I refer to my mother as a "saint." She kept all my childhood card collections for me (when i was disinterested in high school, went away to college, got married, etc.). But the day I reminisced about them...there they were in all their cardboard glory. :biggrin:

No Dark Shadows for me. That show scared the crap out of me when I was a youngster. But I had all the Batman (Adam West and comic) series. And some Green Hornet...and oh!--the baseball! Because of my mom, I still have my Nolan Ryan rookie card (1968 Topps #177)!

But back to our regularly scheduled Dark Shadows discussion! :blush:

party-smiley-004.gif
Mike,

I too had several of the 1966 Batman cards and the Green Hornet series cards! And of course, many of The Outer Limits (1963-1965 series) and Lost In Space cards. Maybe your mom kept mine as well.

By the way, I just saved the sample images posted by Harry above (thank you, Harry). Nobody -- and I mean nobody -- throws away my HTF images of Dark Shadows cards! ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
By the way, I just saved the sample images posted by Harry above (thank you, Harry). Nobody -- and I mean nobody -- throws away my HTF images of Dark Shadows cards! ;)
We are determined not to repeat the sins of our parents which were visited upon us....

:laugh:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Okay, I couldn't resist. I'll only post a few images. Thanks for the memories, Harry. :)

capncrud_white_front_small_smaller_images.jpg
14061082_8.jpg
wacky-packs-awful-bits.jpg
CC_Wacky-Packages-Series-10-1974-Badzooka.jpg

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I think I had a few of the Dark Shadows cards at one point. I know that I used to collect the Wacky Packages...some of them were pretty disgusting for the time! Several years ago I found a website that had them all posted...brought back lots of fond memories.

I'm currently up through Episode #1164 (the 1840 storyline). If I keep up with my average of one per day I should be wrapping up the entire series around Halloween!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I have to make this quick. Brad I have no idea why the DS writers did that. You see Roger Davis was back for the movie so why not put him to work for a few days before the shooting started. I understood why the writers stated Vicky was killed by Jeb. Peter needed a reason to haunt and kill him. The audio cd Return to Collinwood which came out after the show ended and a must have for all DS Fans as well as the Return of Barnabas cd Night Whispers suggests that Vicky is alive. The second novel after the series ends not written by Lara is even about Vicky. Her name was brought up later in 1970 and in 1840. I think if the show was to continue they might have tried to bring her back in the spring of 1971 as Laura was suppose to make a return too.

Guys those trading cards were put out again just a few years back and can be bought at Amazon for 62 cards at 19 bucks. I recall they are a complete set from the original ones.

Sorry folks I have to run. Paul keep us informed as always on your viewing!!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Brad I forgot the most important and that is a very warm welcome to HTF and the DS thread. I also want to thank Harry for what he posted. So thanks Voyage friend!!! Richard also. I do not have time at the moment to read what you have but it looks great

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Mark Collins said:
I have to make this quick. Brad I have no idea why the DS writers did that. You see Roger Davis was back for the movie so why not put him to work for a few days before the shooting started. I understood why the writers stated Vicky was killed by Jeb. Peter needed a reason to haunt and kill him. The audio cd Return to Collinwood which came out after the show ended and a must have for all DS Fans as well as the Return of Barnabas cd Night Whispers suggests that Vicky is alive. The second novel after the series ends not written by Lara is even about Vicky. Her name was brought up later in 1970 and in 1840. I think if the show was to continue they might have tried to bring her back in the spring of 1971 as Laura was suppose to make a return too.
Thanks Mark for taking the time to provide your insight.

With so many twists and turns during what (from an episode count) is a very very long running series. Taking into account characters reoccurring and actors playing different parts it can cast a complicated web. There are many well thought out concepts, some interesting quick connections to past events, as well as a few "what?" elements that sneak in every once in a while. But overall quite a ride.

At first during this particular sequence I questioned the use of the same actor for Paul Stoddard that also once played Jason earlier. It just seemed too close a relationship between characters. However, after a short time I completely bought-in because he played the role so well. I have to wonder if the actor threatened to punch the director in the nose again to initiate that quick exit :)

While I've seen bits and pieces of a few interviews on the disks, for the most part I stayed away for fear of hearing "spoiler" info on what is to come. There is such a wealth of extra's I'm sure we could spend a month just watching all the interviews once we complete the series.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
As an aside, and I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but CBS sneaked Dan Curtis's INTRUDERS (1992) into release a year ago last August 2012. This 2 1/2 hour alien abduction thriller is intelligently done and genuinely creepy. It is also Dan Curtis's finest work as a director. His direction is brilliant here.

Those of you who have been watching the speeded-up PAL edition from the U.K. will want to see this epic at the proper pitch. The burn-on-demand disc is available from amazon and I'm sure other places:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088Q1RWI/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&colid=2G1XR66GL6VK8&coliid=I3RS3N7TX0SA1S&me=&seller=

Intruders-DanCurtis.jpg

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Brad no problem and please post more! The one thing that even the actors commented on that the show was all over the map at times. The writers could come up with a question from the past which they could not answer. Someone would go outside the studio to ask the fans for the answer. The fans never failed to have the answer for them. I always thought that was a funny story.

I can never sign out. Oh well maybe this is the new way or something.

Scott I will be in touch as soon as my foot gets better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks