What's new

Obscure films you would like to see on Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by Bryan^H

Obscure, or seemingly forgotten films you would like to see released.

An obscure and forgotten movie I'd love to have on Blu-ray is Tempest (La Tempesta) made in 1958 in 2.35:1 Technirama and Technicolor. Tempest is a "big" movie and sets a love story against a rebellion against Catherine The Great.

I've just checked Tempest on the imdb and people were posting several years ago that the movie had gone missing.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Lair of the White Worm

Englishman Who Went up a Hill but Came Down a Mountain

Local Hero

Stealing Beauty

Blood for Dracula

Flesh for Frankenstein (with 3D version)

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
My top six that I'd love to see on Blu. Some of these aren't obscure, but the studios seem to have no interest in releasing them in high-def.

Equilibrium (it'll never happen; the movie bombed in theaters and the DVD sold next to no copies)

Das Boot (THIS one, on the other hand, should have been remastered in high-def LONG ago)

12 Angry Men (ditto)

Grosse Pointe Blank (a personal favorite which the studios don't seem to care about)

True Lies (unlikely to ever see the light of day with the current anti-terrorism climate)

Land of the Pharaohs (one of those yesteryear epics that I do have some hope for, with the recent restoration of 10 Commandments and Ben-Hur)

This is an awesome thread so far.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Carter

True Lies (unlikely to ever see the light of day with the current anti-terrorism climate)

Huh? True Lies is on TV frequently and it's still in print on DVD so it's not like Fox has pulled the movie from the public. There will be a new release when Cameron gets around to OK-ing a new transfer or if True Lies 2 happens.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Originally Posted by Phil Carter that preserves the correct aspect ratio, and is well worth getting if you're a fan of the film.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Obscure. indistinct to the sight or any other sense; not readily seen, heard, inconspicuous or unnoticeable: the obscure beginnings of a great movement. of little or no prominence, note, fame, or distinction. far from public notice, worldly affairs, or important activities; remote.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Originally Posted by Phil Carter

Some of these aren't obscure, but the studios seem to have no interest in releasing them in high-def.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Who'll Stop The Rain

Prophecy ('79)

Nosferatu

The Day The Earth Caught Fire

The China Syndrome

The Swimmer

Tammy And The Bachelor

A Little Romance

Wolfen

The Howling

Dracula ('79)

I Wanna Hold Your Hand

Matinee

Goodbye Girl

Obscure to a film buff isn't the same as obscure to your typical Best Buy customer- most of these, with the exception of China Syndrome right now, would probably be considered lower profile deep catalog by the average 20-35 demo.

TDTECF being a very widescreen movie would definitely benefit from the upgrade. Would be nice to see Shout or Synapse get the rights to it. I don't think AB still has them.

I don't expect I'll ever see most of these. The fact I already have things like King Kong '76, Phantom Of The Paradise, The Deep, Walkabout and others on my shelf does offer a little solace though.

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Originally Posted by TravisR that preserves the correct aspect ratio, and is well worth getting if you're a fan of the film.

That's awesome news. Thanks, Carl -- I'd never thought to check Japanese releases.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Hard Times (1975)

New Orlean's during the depression, great location shooting, action, what's not to like. It's even hard to find an anamorphic widescreen DVD these days (replaced with a full screen version)

One of my all time favorites with:

- Charles Bronson

- James Coburn
- Jill Ireland

- Strother Martin

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Yep, Hard Times is a great early Walter Hill film. Fortunately I purchased the widescreen release when it streeted; shame about the full screen replacement. I'm not sure what the film would look like on Blu-Ray, but the New Orleans locations and exteriors would probably be nice. It would be an easy re-purchase for me.

"Some men are born to failure, others have it thrust upon them" - paraphrasing Poe (Strother Martin).

Edit - Speaking of Walter Hill, while I don't consider it that obscure, and I'm very happy with the DVD version ( which looks incredibly better than my previous LD copy) why not a Blu-Ray of Southern Comfort?

- Walter.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The Wicker Man (original with a restored extended cut from some newly found elements)

More

Brazil

Bad Taste

Marion Bridge

O Lucky Man!

Fahrenheit 451

Slaughterhouse 5

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Phil Carter , Van Ling said

"I was actually just getting started on doing something for "True Lies" when 9/11 happened, and at that point the project was put on indefinite hold due to the uncertainty of things at the time... there was a concern about the domestic terrorism angle, especially since the climax involves a nuke in a downtown skyscraper, as well as the scenes of "terrorist slapstick" in the van on the bridge. None of this concern affects either the film or its disc, but the thought was that a) it would be hard for interviewees to talk about the film in the correct tone and context so close to the event --it might seem insensitive talking about how fun it was to make a terrorist-themed comedy with the real-world events going on at the time, and b) the release of the DVD in that year's timeframe might come off as exploitative opportunism at best and incendiary jingoism at worst (see South Park's "Cartoon Wars" for a great take on fear of retaliation). We know now that probably none of these concerns would have been warranted, but it's true that at the time, we all knew that if nothing else, the film itself would get overshadowed by everything going on around it.

So it's been on hold ever since, and again, JC has to approve a new transfer and such, so that's been holding things up as well. I don't think he has any problem with the context these days. I was told by someone at one point not too long after 9/11 that the film was more popular than ever, since it showed us winning out over the bad guys."

and he also said that

"Well, I'm sure that True Lies will finally return to DVD/BD one of these days... just probably not soon, given JC's schedule on Avatar..."

Those quotes are from July 2008 but I doubt Cameron has suddenly decided that he doesn't want the movie available ever again (and like I said, it's still available on DVD so it seems obvious that no one wants to keep it away from the public). Given Hollywood's reliance on established properties and Arnold Schwarzenegger now being available to act again, I think True Lies 2 is a possibility. It would most likely be without Cameron directing and probably not focus on Arab terrorists but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks