What's new

Obscure films you would like to see on Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Obscure, or seemingly forgotten films you would like to see released.

I would like to see:

-Breaking In(1989) starring Burt Reynolds, and Casey Siemaszko. Neat little move.

-Heaven Help Us(1985) starring Andrew McCarthy, and Donald Sutherland. One of my favorite 80's films.

-Nosferatu(1979) starring Klaus Kinski. Eerily atmospheric. I would absolutely love a new transfer of this amazing film.

So what would you like to see?

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I just wish that Twilight Time would take the BIG PLUNGE and release "The Egyptian" in blu-ray. For me, the colorful widescreen epics benefit the most from the format. Besides I grew up with these films and really enjoy them. MGM Australia did a bang up job with their recent release of "Taras Bulba" in blu-ray. It looks wonderful, rich and vibrant in color and all grain intact. I think it was just a simple transfer of their hi-def master, too. Others I would love include "War and Peace" (the '71 Russian one), "1900" (blu is out in Italy, but no English subtitles), and "Samson and Delilah" (heard rumblings about Paramount's plans, nothing for certain).

Eerik

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eerik Paal
Herzog's Nosferatu has been released in France, alas without English subtitles.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Nosferatu was shot simultaneously in both German and English. Unfortunately, the French blu-ray offers neither original soundtrack, only a French language dub.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'd like to see Steve Reeves' The Thief of Bagdad on Blu-ray. It might not be as famous or as deserving as the two previous movie versions, but it's one I'd love to see in high def.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by Bryan^H

Obscure, or seemingly forgotten films you would like to see released.

I would like to see:

-Breaking In(1989) starring Burt Reynolds, and Casey Siemaszko. Neat little move.

-Heaven Help Us(1985) starring Andrew McCarthy, and Donald Sutherland. One of my favorite 80's films.

-Nosferatu(1979) starring Klaus Kinski. Eerily atmospheric. I would absolutely love a new transfer of this amazing film.

So what would you like to see?

All of your picks, and a few more:

"From Noon to Three" (circa 1976) starring Charles Bronson and Jill Ireland. An under-estimated little gem that's never been on dvd in the U.S.

"54" (1998), the extended director's cut, which also has never been on dvd, and in fact has rarely been screened.

"Romy and Michele's High School Reunion" (1997) This has been a pretty good-selling catalog title for Disney/Touchstone on home video; can't understand why it hasn't received the Blu treatment as of yet. Time to bring it back, with Will Ferrell's deleted scenes, preferably.

"Mad Monster Party" (circa 1966) There's a pristine print or two floating around out there. There also exist stereo masters for the music. They should upgrade it and try to remaster the sound into stereo. Since they've been slowly putting out the Rankin-Bass films on bluray, I think this one's gonna happen pretty soon.

"The Pirate Movie" (1982) Totally ridiculous movie, that's perfect for any number of drinking games! (Whenever somehow says "Mabel!," everyone take a drink!) Combine "High School Musical" with "Pirates of the Caribbean" and you might come up with this. It looks fine on dvd, but I'm not sure they got the aspect ratio right. And the film has always suffered from crummy sound engineering/balance. They might want to have another go at it.

"The Boys Next Door" (1985) All this drama with Charlie Sheen reminded me of this forgotten little flick, starring Sheen along with Max Caulfield as a pair of nihilistic youths on a crime/murder spree through 1980s Los Angeles. It's another ridiculous film, but has a sort of sweet, infamous notoriety that makes it a minor Hollywood legend. You just gotta love how cheesy this film really is, when reportedly, Charlie's dad Martin Sheen went to the premiere and walked out in disgust over the violence.

And on and on...

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The Swimmer

Sirens

New Waterford Girl

Why Shoot the Teacher

Zardoz

Taureau

Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
"Mad Monster Party" (circa 1966) There's a pristine print or two floating around out there. There also exist stereo masters for the music. They should upgrade it and try to remaster the sound into stereo. Since they've been slowly putting out the Rankin-Bass films on bluray, I think this one's gonna happen pretty soon.

Mad Monster Party was 1967 not 1966, and it's been on DVD multiple times with last year getting a Special Edition from LionsGate.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Jeff Ulmer said:
The Swimmer

Sirens

New Waterford Girl

Why Shoot the Teacher

Zardoz

Taureau

Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
I expected to see The Swimmer and Zardoz from you Jeff. I agree with at least one of those 2.
darkrock17 said:

Mad Monster Party was 1967 not 1966, and it's been on DVD multiple times with last year getting a Special Edition from LionsGate.
Since this is a blu-ray request that info is relevant?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley

All of your picks, and a few more:

"Romy and Michele's High School Reunion" (1997) This has been a pretty good-selling catalog title for Disney/Touchstone on home video; can't understand why it hasn't received the Blu treatment as of yet. Time to bring it back, with Will Ferrell's deleted scenes, preferably.

"The Boys Next Door" (1985) All this drama with Charlie Sheen reminded me of this forgotten little flick, starring Sheen along with Max Caulfield as a pair of nihilistic youths on a crime/murder spree through 1980s Los Angeles. It's another ridiculous film, but has a sort of sweet, infamous notoriety that makes it a minor Hollywood legend. You just gotta love how cheesy this film really is, when reportedly, Charlie's dad Martin Sheen went to the premiere and walked out in disgust over the violence.
The Boys Next Door is an all time favorite for me. Something about it just made me watch every time it aired on HBO in the late 80's. I haven't watched the Anchor Bay release in a few years, but certainly am in favor for a blu release.

Romy and Michelle....HELL YES!!! This film is less than lackluster on the un-anamorphic god awful Touchstone release. This is one film begging for a complete remaster/special edition/Anamorphic widescreen/True HD DTS release on Blu-Ray!!!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
[COLOR= black]The title of the thread is great, now the odd part is what might be obscure to most, might not necessarily be an obscure film, Hence [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]From Noon Until Three is one of Bronson’s better films and better know although I think we would see Death Wish before this, but I would also add Breakheart Pass [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Herzog / Kinski - Nosferatu [/COLOR] definite possibility from maybe Anchor Bay, think they did the Herzog/Kinski set in the States but this would also be tailored to a Halloween Release

[COLOR= black][/COLOR]

Steve Reeves – The Thief of Bagdad, good memories of childhood, when this was on TV often, but to that mix I would also like to see one of the independents’ do a Hercules/Hercules Unchained Double Feature

Obscure time The Resurrection of Zachery Wheeler staring Leslie Nielson

Past the part of obscure, there are films that either have never had a decent release or need a chance to shine again, Steven King wrote the book

John Carpenter’s Christine come on Sony!

As for Disney and Co. here is a try, anything live action before 2000, take your pick, Dick Tracy, The Rocketeer , Never Cry Wolf, Dragonslayer, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by dana martin

As for Disney and Co. here is a try, anything live action before 2000, take your pick, Dick Tracy, The Rocketeer , Never Cry Wolf, Dragonslayer, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Or going back even farther: Treasure Island, So Dear to My Heart, and yes, Song of the South.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
the thing is Disney has such a great Family catalog, and all we are getting live action is another rehash of POTC or some HIGH School Musical, where is the early Kurt Russel films, my god that man is in his 5 decade of films, the two tim conway/ don knotts apple dumplin films, so much good stuff that could be done.

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
Too Late the Hero (Michael Caine)

The Mouse that Roared (Peter Sellers)

Yellow Submarine (The Beatles)

The Haunted Palace (Vincent Price)

The Shadow (Alec Baldwin)

The Big Chill (Glenn Close)

To Sir with Love (Sidney Portier)

The Long Ships (Richard Widmark)

Fantastic Voyage (Stephen Boyd)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'll second...

Sirens

The Swimmer

Until the End of the World
Zardoz

and add (with varying degrees of obscurity)...

King of the Hill (1993)

The Reflecting Skin (1990)

The Siege of Firebase Gloria (1989)

Inferno (1953)

Hello-Goodbye (1970)

The Fugitive (1947)

They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1969)

The Colossus of New York (1958)

Je Vous Salue, Mafia! aka Hail Mafia! (1965)

- Walter...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks