What's new

Oblivion - including The Shivering Isles (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
did you find your character was overpowering? i think the main knock on this great game is that by the end, there's really no chance of you dying, as your charcter levels up way faster than the characters you fight.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Well, to the victor goes the spoils. I'm at Level 34 (I've heard some people are at Level 45) and am able to win just about every battle. But a lot of this has to do with the correct combination of weapons and armor among other things. I've accumulated a lot of very powerful items and have been able to stockpile a lot of stuff if I run out so I can use all this to my advantage. But this is a lot different than the PC version (I use both, but I consider the play on my 360 the one with an "honest" play factor). With the PC you can choose the "God" mode and never die. But that's not really playing the game - that's experiencing the landscape.

In other words, if you go to The Shivering Isles before you have matured your character on the "Mainland" you are in for one hell of a struggle. If you enter the Shivering Isles after you have mastered the main quest and all the guild factions, you are in for an interesting, but probably much easier time.

Either way - it's a remarkable blast, IMO!

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
As the WGA strike starts and will probally go on for some time, I have decided to get a PS3.

and one of the game I'll be getting next week is Oblivion with the expansion packs.

The only type of RPG game I've played is Zeldas.
This game may be just the thing to keep me busy during the strike.

is anyone else stil playing Oblivion?

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Actually,I only got the game about 3-4 months ago,but with all this game has to offer I'll be playing it for a while. I'm just a level 18 so far and getting ready to complete the main quest. But there are still side quests I have'nt gotten to yet and alot of exploring to do. I only wish I'd waited a little longer to pick up the game since I saw the "Game of the Year" version last night at Best Buy. It has the "Knights of the Nine" and "Shivering Isles" included with it. Who knows, maybe I'll pick it up anyway and turn my regular edition over to someone else!

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I'm still playing when I get a chance. I installed the "Shivering Isles" expansion pack a few months ago, but still haven't investigated a single inch of that realm. I went back to clearing out caves and ruins instead.

I recently started playing "Hellgate: London," which is eating up what little free time I have. As soon as I get overwhelmed by hard-to-kill enemies in this wonderful, Diablo-esque game (which will probably be by Act 3,) I'll go running back to Oblivion.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Well I FINALLY purchased a PS3 with Oblivion.
I haven't yet to play it as I'm busy with Assassin's Creed right now.
This thread seems to have gone dead(like a lot of the other gaming threads)

But I was curious to know if anyone STILL plays this game?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm about to return to it since I completed Stranglehold.

The amount of stuff in this game is really mind-blowing. Especially for those of us with limited gaming time. :)

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
I purchased the Shivering Aisles expansion pack for my PS3 a while back and play it occasionally. I haven't found it to be as much fun as the original setup, but I still enjoy it. I should look to see if any of the other expansions are available for the PS3. I also have it for the Xbox (bought it after the board fried to get my fix while it was in the shop), but I almost never use that anymore, mostly because I'm afraid it will cook itself again...

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed playing Oblivion but once I completed everything there was to do I stop.

I would definitely recommend this game to anyone.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

That's like saying "I really enjoyed dating every girl in China, but once I dated them all I stopped." There's a LOT to do in this game. :)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I was (am) an Oblivion fan(atic) - see my Avatar.

:D

Got all 1250 achievement points on the XBox360, also have the PC version (for travel) but, quite frankly, I haven't visited the realm in a couple of months. If another expansion pack is released (anyone know if there is one announced?) I'll be back in a heartbeat. More than a game - more like an experience.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

I haven't been exactly idle during the interim. Bioshock on the XBox360 was the best of the newer lot IMHO and there have been lots of other great titles beyond the obvious. Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, The Orange Box (revisiting the half-life series and beyond), Overlord, etc. etc. etc. And the Wii has Super Mario Galaxy and even the addictive (to me) Williams Pinball among lots of other stuff. The Wii continues to amaze at SD resolution! Even the PS3 has finally come around with some great stuff like Devil May Cry 4, etc. I'll probably break down and get a new controller (with vibration) as soon as I figure out which games support it. And let's not forget the PSP version of God of War. It's not GOW on the PS2 (or original PS3 with the PS2 HW chip) but it's probably the best use of the PSP potential that I've seen. I loved it! (Side note: I'm not that much into war games and some of the other "mission" series which I why I didn't mention Clancy or the remarkable Call of Duty titles. I acknowledge that they are awesome - just not my preference so major props to them as well and any other titles I inadvertently left out here.)

2007 was the Golden Age of Gaming to this 65 year old gamer. I've seen it all and this has been quite exciting even though the reflexes aren't what they used to be. But if an Oblivion expansion module comes out - I'm there. If not, I have great memories and a play to return if I ever run out of other things to do.

And I'm not overly concerned with gaming threads on a Home Theater Site not having a lot of "action." The gamers among us are simply busy playing games rather than posting messages. And those of us who have the ways and means of gaming in full Huge Screen 1080p glory with surround sound are smiling as we hold the controllers!

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Agreed, Aaron! Once I reached a high level and was lord or master of every single organization in the realm with a bankroll of well over a million gold pieces and inventory stashed all over the kingdom (all earned, not hacked) I sometimes like to go out with bare fists to pummel tough guys to gain some hand to hand street cred. What you can do is limited just by one's imagination after you've finished all set goals in Oblivion.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I just bought a new PC, and will be re-installing Oblivion shortly. I can't wait to run it at full resolution. I just hope I can re-install my save games with all my mods and enhancements...

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Oh come on cut me some slack. I got the 1250 on a hard difficultly and was the master of everything. Since my 360 died with my saved character I’ll have to start from scratch. I haven’t had the time to do that but once I do I know it will be a weekend killer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks