What's new

Obese man sues fast-food chains. (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It isn't over yet. The judge gave them leave to amend (standard on a first dismissal), and the plaintiffs' attorney says he intends to do so.

M.

Anders Englund

Second Unit
Ever feel hungry looking at food ads after a massive eating binge?
Actually yes, I do frequently. In fact, I ate about 20 minutes ago, and I get hungry just reading about this. However, suing someone over it? No bloody way.
Didn't read the whole thread, so it might have been mentioned before, but check out this site: Overlawyered
--Anders

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
wrote:
Your Honor, I would like to sue the hospital for delivering me during childbirth. Through no fault of my own, it was never explained to me that by helping me enter this world, I will eventually die. And it's all the hospital's fault. Now I must live every day with the knowledge that eventually I will die due to the calloused actions of one obstatrician. I am seeking 40 billion dollars, because that way I can afford to get so drunk that I won't care when death cheats me out of a life I never asked for. Thank you.
That's just classic.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I've read a lot about obesity, and it's extremely rare to be obese because of genetic factors.
Actually, studies have shown evidence that quite a few non-european population groups are affected by, presumably, genetic factors (Caucasian control group compared to a Native American group, for example), where the group under study have a disproportionately larger number of cases of obesity, even though diet was the same in both. This is from a documentary I saw on the Discovery Channel, exploring diet and their effects on the human body.

I have also seen another documentary on a Southeast Asian island population, where the traditional diet was replaced with a Western diet (population was too large to sustain the traditional diet). The cases of obesity, heart disease and heart attacks had reached epidemic proportions in people above the age of 40. These people were more susceptible to this diet when compared to, say, the British, who had an even worse diet.

When I say "genetic", I mean that they are more susceptible to the negative effects (body stores fat faster than normal, or their arteries clog up faster, or both) of a certain diet. I'm sure there are populations who, if you changed their diet from Western to, say, Mongolian, some would get fat, others would become slim, otherwise would have increased health problems, others less.

I am in no way advocating the "it's in my genes" excuse. In fact, if you know that you may have an increased risk, you should do something to protect yourself against it.

Clarification: When a scientist says "genetic factors are involved", they are in fact stating a probability in the stastical sense.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Bradley's father, Israel, said he never saw anything in the Bronx restaurants that informed him of the food's ingredients. "I always believed McDonald's was healthy for my children," he said in an affidavit.
That is a perfect example of a man not fit to be a father.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
"I think you should contact my lawyer. He has my reaction," Roberta Pelman, mother of plaintiff Ashley Pelman, told CNN. The plaintiffs' lawyer, Samuel Hirsch, said he had no comment.
:laugh:
You have to savor these moments. Enjoy them now, while we still can. It won't be long before they are no more. The death of common sense in this regard is all but upon us.
I wonder if the drive-thru is still open. I've got a sudden craving.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I think I'll go to Wendy's and have two triple-deckers with bacon to celebrate :D:emoji_thumbsup:

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
How is this not thrown out on the first day? Hasn't it been known for years that fatty food causes "fatness"?

Speaking of fatty food. Anyone see that burger biggie commercial where they say it's so good you would need 3 or 4 napkins? That's nasty. I can just see the grease spraying out from all sides when you bite into that thing. I think it was burger king.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I am happy to see this "case" thrown out of court twice.
This never had anything to do with health or being
mislead, this "case" had everything to do with a money
grab. Unfortunately, the system allows losers to try
to chase after people or corporations to get rich.
I feel good about myself because I know I'll never
sink to the depths of these fat pig losers who just
wanted money. I'll never sue for something that is
my own damn fault.
Common sense prevails (at least this time).
:D

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> How is this not thrown out on the first day? Hasn't it been known for years that fatty food causes "fatness"?
It's more basic than that. The guy can't prove he's fat from eating at one specific restaurant or chain. Did he eat every meal there? I'm guessing he snuck in a few items from other places.
Too bad the tobacco suits weren't dismissed as quickly. :thumbsdown:

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure which tobacco suits you're referring to, but I do think that the major one(s) have merit - particularly when they refer to the evidence that cigarettes were doped to be made more addictive. There are worse chemicals than tobacco that are even more addictive - and dangerous - that have been deliberately added, or so it has been alleged.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
...while the healthcare industry sells us drugs to cover up the symptoms rather than provide us with a cure.
Care to provide an example? I can't recall ever prescribing something for a patient of mine that was intended to "cover up" symptoms...

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Well then, I apologize only for my lack of timeliness, not my content. I didn't see where Neil's comment was challenged, as it ought to have been, and my ire was stirred enough that I felt the obligation to respond.

My sentiment stands. His statement is ridiculous.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure which tobacco suits you're referring to, but I do think that the major one(s) have merit - particularly when they refer to the evidence that cigarettes were doped to be made more addictive. There are worse chemicals than tobacco that are even more addictive - and dangerous - that have been deliberately added, or so it has been alleged.
I don't think it's illegal or unethical to try to make a product more addictive. After all, that's the whole point of selling something--to sell as much as you can. (Obviously if it's an illegal substance, that's a different matter.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks