1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Numb3rs ongoing thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Keith I, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    http://www.cbs.com/primetime/numb3rs/

1. From the powerhouse team of Ridley and Tony Scott (no Bruckheimer!).
    2. Copies Se7en by using a number that resembles a letter in its title, which some people dislike.
    3. Using mathematics to solve crimes may not interest or go over well with audiences. It is another crime show to use an idea or issue to separate itself from standard crime dramas (NYPD Blue, the Law & Orders). Others are the CSIs (forensics), Cold Case (old unsolved cases), Without a Trace (missing people), Monk (OCD), The Shield (corrupt cops), and the upcoming Blind Justice (sight-impairment) to name some.
    4. Rob Morrow, David Krumholtz, Sabrina Lloyd, Judd Hirsch, and Peter MacNicol return to another series.

While the crime was standard and cliche'd (serial rapist kidnaps and murders women), the use of mathematics worked for me. It was not too technical but it explained how it was used not to solve the crime itself, but to help the agents close in on the perp. Errors were made and that shows that not everthing is perfect.

I think the show needs time to establish better relationships between the characters. The brothers and their father seem to not be a dramatic dysfunctional family depicted in many shows. The tension between co-workers has not yet begun to show itself. Lloyd and the rookie hardly did anything. Krumholtz (college thesis advisor and mathematician) and his professional relationship with MacNicol's character (physicist) has a good start. But the writers and directors have to be careful to balance what this show is about (using mathematics) and the personal lives of the characters. I enjoyed seeing Krumholtz's character and his quirks and relationship with people around him. The show does not play him as geeky or anti-social, which is nice to see.

The show uses special effects and graphics (mathematical symbols and equations with disappearing frames) to give itself a cool look. But it does not go overboard and only uses it sparingly.

The show needs to push the envelope storywise if it is to succeed because just using mathematics to solve crimes won't work by itself. Turning it into a soap opera won't help it either (but with the Scott Brothers pulling the strings, I don't think it will go there). Without getting technical, it might sound like the same thing over and over again each week to viewers. With a mathematics background of my own, I'll be interested to see how this plays out over the upcoming episodes, if it lasts that long. Basically, it has to find its own identity but make sure it has the successful formula that the shows mentioned above (except Blind Justice) have and not resort to gimmicks or flash.

I would assume that this pilot episode did not make a big splash, if anyone saw it at all. How many people actually saw it after the football game? Locally, it aired at 6:00 p.m.
    -

2. Kevin_Spradley

Kevin_Spradley Well-Known Member

I too enjoyed the first episode. I liked the way errors were made and then corrected. With myself having a physics and math background, I am really intrigued by this show. Hopefully the characters will be developed and the relationships between them will stay interesting.

3. aldamon

aldamon Well-Known Member

Decent show, but I was hoping things would take some time to develop over several episodes. I didn't buy how quickly everything came together for the convenient ending.

4. chuck_b

chuck_b Well-Known Member

I have the same issue with another newcomer, Medium. Same potential problem - good initial storyline, build-up and then a rapid close which seems rushed and unfulfilling. Shows like these are hard to fit into a 40-odd minute runtime which count on a rigid format for storyline. Less of an issue once the stories establish key characters and motives, but early on forces too nice of a wrap-up. These shows really need a 2 hour premiere at least.

5. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Well-Known Member

A decent rating, but the true test will be how it does on its normal time of Fridays at 10pm. CBS usually has good ratings (compared to the other networks) at this slot, we'll see if it transfers over to Numb3rs.

I haven't seen the whole show yet, but of the half I've seen, it's fairly good.

Chris

6. Egbert Berfel

Egbert Berfel Well-Known Member

I'm not looking forward to seeing Jud Hirsch every week. There's just something about that guy that I dislike. Same goes for Jeff Goldblum, too.

7. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Well-Known Member

I dont mind Hirsch, but Goldblum I agree with.

8. Kachi Khatri

Kachi Khatri Well-Known Member

Jay
    Saw this last night...nothing spectacular, watchable, might give it another chance next week.

9. OliverT

OliverT Well-Known Member

I don't see this show having a future. They used math to find the probable residence of a serial killer based on where the crimes occured? Haven't they done that for years? Even the "twist" of having two residences was a big yawner because I'm sure they already have computer models for that as well.

This is the best they could come up with for a pilot episode? I don't mean to be harsh but...they have one more episode to show why math is even remotely interesting as it relates to crime drama.

ot

10. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Well-Known Member

A little slow to begin with, but I was entertained by the ending of the show. Let's hope the network gives it a chance to grow.

Good Will Hunting meets CSI.

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The other problem with this show is the Friday 10 p.m. EST death timeslot.

But I thought it was an okay pilot. Loved seeing Ravi Nawat in a more normal, less soapy, show.

Rob Morrow looks/sounds odd, much different from my memories of him on Northern Exposure.

12. RobertW

RobertW Well-Known Member

you must have really loved Independence Day. [​IMG]

decent show, but yeah, it seemed like all his formula did was to triangulate an area where the perpetrator could be from, an old and well-worn crime technique that didn't need a mathmatician to implement.

first show i've ever seen Krumholtz in that he didn't look 14 though. must be the beard stubble. like the family relationship.

13. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    Yes, like I mentioned, if the show got too technical, it would definitely lose viewers. It's adequate (for now) that they just introduce the concept of using mathematics and then hopefully pump it up later. That's why I am interested in seeing how they're going to keep this concept up without resorting to more cliche'd story lines or methods of storytelling. The writers have a tough job ahead of them...
    -

14. Evan M

Evan M Well-Known Member

Yeah... I'll be watching Monk during that timeslot... so, this show is relegated to a crappy recording on my old VCR.. but I'll still watch it, eventually.

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

If I watch it, I'll be watching Numb3rs in HD, and watching Monk later via ReplayTV since the viewing quality of USA channel material is pretty much the same live or recorded.

16. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    A better storyline this time that starts off with a bang of a bank robbery and ends with a slight whimper (although it shouldn't always end with another shoot-em-up). It let up on the mathematics and concentrated more on the case this time.

The Epps's personal relationships are slowly revealing themselves and Epps Sr.'s past is still a mystery although we see a little more humanity with the mention of his wife and their mother. A nice touch. And the family sitting at the table for dinner was a nice way to end. Charlie's relationship with the Dr. is quirky as ever.

Don's co-workers are still bland. The rookie didn't seem like a rookie. He was pretty confident. Terry doesn't do much except provide someone for Don to talk to.

Overall, without nitpicking the details too much, I enjoyed it and will continue to watch in the hopes that it will get better.
    -

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I can't wait for the episode when Charlie runs out of chalk. That should be good for some laughs.

The opening of the episode was pretty good, but it sort of sagged to a finish, with the "smart" robbers being really predictable.

18. chuck_b

chuck_b Well-Known Member

Thew move to Friday night is a killer for me. When I first saw a new post yesterday, I was surprised...then remembered the time slot shift. Oh, well....

19. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Well-Known Member

Rich Travale
    I really enjoyed this episode (finally got around to watching my recording). The storyline with Charlie losing it and coming to terms with his own humanity was great.

Ps, the picture of the mom was hot. How did Alex Rieger nab that? [​IMG]

20. John_Lee

John_Lee Well-Known Member

Anyone of the genius school have any insight into whether those scribblings go anywhere? I don't have any problem understanding the concepts, but every time he picks up the chalk my mind goes into 'BS pretend science' mode.