What's new

NTSC <-> PAL Converter (1 Viewer)

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
I could really use some opinions regarding conversion equipment. Specifically, I'm looking at the TenLab TR21 and the Hi-Tek CMD-2000. Which would you recommend in terms of picture quality and format support?

Also, for software based solutions, is Cleaner XL or ProCoder preferred(haven't found any other software that does conversion)? I can't seem to find any information on how either program works, or examples of quality. Thanks all...

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I do not have any experience with "traditional" PAL-NTSC converters but I do know that some of them lose vertical resolution. This is because the affected models do a 288/50p to 240/60p conversion, one field at a time treating it like a full frame. At the very least, you should audtion the device before purchasing it.

Getting the full vertical resolution requires de-interlacing as an intermediate step.

If you were into progressive scan, a better bet would be to get a de-interlacer scaler that accepts both NTSC and PAL, and gives a uniform output. The Lumagen models, and DVDO iScan HD and higher models do this. The picture quality is much better since these do a 576i to 576p to 480p, or 480i to 480p to 576p, conversion. (Other final output scan rates are also available). My experience with the two brands I have named is good enough that I would feel free to buy one sight unseen. Prices do start at around USD 1000.

If you are just considering progressive scan and want to make the jump, your PAL-NTSC conversion needs may swing the decision to go with the external de-interlacer (named above), an interlaced DVD player, and choosing an HDTV without emphasis on de-interlacing, as opposed to spending the money on a progressive player and/or shopping for an HDTV specifically with superb e.g. Faroudja DCDi de-interlacing.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidscale.htm

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
Thanks for the reply, Allan. Actually, I'll be using it for dubbing VHS tapes, so component video doesn't really apply. When it comes to converting DVDs, I'd go with one of the software solutions I listed, so as to keep it in the digital domain...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks