What's new

Now that Richard Donner has redone Superman II... (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yet interestingly you can actually get banned from sites like DVDtalk.com and AVSforum.com for doing it.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=235044

All about threadcraps (please read)

What is a threadcrap?

A "threadcrap" is a term we've come to use here at DVD Talk for a post (usually negative) that is off the topic of the thread in which it is posted, or criticizes/ridicules the thread starter or the thread itself. Threadcraps usually have no reasoning behind them, but this is not always the case. This definition is not meant to be all inclusive, but it is meant to give you a general idea of what the term means. Ultimately, the moderators hold the final word on what is or is not a threadcrap.

Edit: This is different than a hijack, in which a thread (intentionally or unintentionally) happens to go off in a different direction than originally intended, usually because of someone asking a question related to the topic of the thread. It isn't against the rules, but it isn't exactly ideal, either.

Can you give me an example?

One commonly seen threadcrap is someone posting that "___________ is a crappy movie" in a thread dedicated to information about the movie's DVD release. The point of the thread isn't to discuss the quality of the movie, but to discuss the movie's DVD release.

Another commonly seen threadcrap is quoting someone else's post and saying "that's a stupid thing to say." If you think someone's wrong, point out the correct information or provide your interpretation of events without attacking the other person.

What's the big deal about threadcraps?

The purpose of the DVD Talk Forum is discussion. Threadcraps interfere with the flow of discussion. Something that goes against the purpose of the forum and rudely interrupts a discussion between members has no place on this forum.

What should I do if I think I see a threadcrap?

1. Don't reply to it with a snide (or otherwise) remark. Although it's often fun , it just leaves more for moderators to clean up afterwards. And since it's a reply to an off-topic comment, the reply itself is probably off-topic, so it doesn't belong in the thread either.

2. Do click on the "Report this post to a moderator" link that is in the post. An e-mail will be sent the moderators of the forum, and they will decide on what action to take. This could be anywhere from nothing (if the post is actually on-topic) to a suspension or banning (for repeat offenders), or anything in between.

I will be leaving this thread open so that people can ask for clarification, if necessary. Thanks for reading!..."

In the movies section it makes total sense to post differing and contrary opinions but what purpose does it serve in the software section? All it does is piss off the vast majority of members reading that particular thread who probably, (gasp!) like the film.

It has nothing to do with people being "thin-skinned" and everything to do with some fool just clogging up the thread with meaningless and usually highly inarticulate declarations like, "DUDE! That movie Sucked SOOOO bad!!!"

Of course one could always start their own forum website that actually encouraged the practice... But, nah... that would be too much work for the average person who threadcraps who just bops from thread to thread leaving little one line long chestnuts of wisdom....

d

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
And you know what? Every time I go around in the streets and kick people in the butt, they say "ouch", many object, and some start a fight!
Thin-skinned!

The point is not if people are (too) sensitive to your wise-nose remarks, perhaps they are, perhaps not. But is it really your (or anybody's) commitment to test your fellow human beings? Or what else is it?

And the real point is, of course, that remarks like that seldom contribute to the discussion in the specific thread at all. Someone who likes a movie or a TV show starts a thread to discuss the experiences of watching it, or to achieve another goal, and then someone enters with the oh-so-interesting remark that he/she doesn't like the movie or show at all. Fine. But what does it contribute to the discussion or help to advance the other member's goal?

If an artist, or a group of artists produce a piece of art, like a film, chances are that some, perhaps many, people aren't impressed by it or interested. No news, so stating so explicitly without much explanation isn't very interesting even in a review thread or a specific discussion about the merits of said work of art. It's much more interesting to learn who really does like it, and why, although it certainlty cannot be denied that some discussion why someone else doesn't might be of interest and could help to enhance a discussion like that.

But just interjecting a "I don't like it" (while preferably using some more derogative terms) in a thread of a totally different nature than such a product oriented discussion, is ... well... crap.

Our rules, which every member explicitly agreed with, forbid thread-crapping. That is, whether you recognize the concept or not. Threads like this are not the place to discuss those rules of ours: that establishes hijacking of the thread.

So, please, all of you and Jim in particular: stop doing any of both, now.
Back to Richard Donner and Superman II, please.

Thanks.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Well, it's a shame the thread has taken the course it has--as so often happens with what is initially perceived as a thread crap is that a real discussion almost got started (Carl asked a question to get to the source of my frustrations with THE GOONIES and I gave him more than just an "I don't like it"), but Cees is apparently making the official proclamation that only the mutual admiration society effect should be allowed to continue (a decision I dislike but will respect). Carry on with my apologies at trying to engage in an intersting debate.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Travis,

None of us would have had any problem with a discussion like that in a Superman II discussion thread. And, if it wouldn't have been for the gross distraction of the "discussion" as it took place, we could even have lived with your original (negative) post, I guess.

So I'm not blaming you in particular - I'm blaming you a little bit (:) ) and mostly those who made it worse.

:laugh: :emoji_thumbsup:
No, that "effect" is not cherished on this forum.

Cees

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
This thread keeps reminding me I have to check to make sure my copy of The Goonies wasn't stolen by my ex-roommate.

I really hope it's there, mostly because I'm getting old (or feel like it) and I fear if I don't have it I'll ask myself, "I did actually BUY it didn't I? Senility sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks