What's new

"Now Playing" sign (1 Viewer)

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
I'm building a shelf for my DVD's, and I want to have a sign overtop that says "Now Playing". I'm looking for what others have done for signs like these, I'm thinking of carving it out of wood and painting it. I'd almost like something with the words over a curtain (all wood).

Does anyone have any pictures of simmilar things so I can get some more ideas?

JawhnM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jawhn MacCaine
I've been thinking about something similar. Although a little more expensive, you could use "pre-cut wooden letters from a craft store. There are several designs and sizes. They would give it a 3D look and all letters would be perfectly cut. It should also save quite a bit of time.:D

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, good idea. Think I'll hit up the craft store this weekend.

darron Z

Stunt Coordinator
im in the sign business i can make a sign that says anything you want out of translucent white acrylic . ill cut the lettering out so the rest of the sign is black/ed out so whatever light you shine from behind it , ie flourescent , red , etc. thats the color you would have for your lettering. make your own box. for my theater that im building im going to cut out my wall sheetrock in a mountain silloette scene , fix the acrylic to the back via silicone and screws, and light it up with a red bulb . ill send pics when its finished. let me know if any of you want a sign ! get your own acrylic or glass from the home depot . [email protected]

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
While that sounds really cool, I don't want anything electric. I'm looking for something more deminsional.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Check out how this guy made a sign for his theater.

first make paper templates of the shapes be they letters or the deco shapes. This is where you play with the design size overall look relationships etc. Once you are happy with that then lay these out on foam insulation that is the thickness you want. Cut these shapes out on a band or scroll saw. I then trace these on the poster board cut out with scissors for extremely clean edges and paint these shapes. I then use a very thin layer of Elmer's glue and glue the painted facings onto the foam. The excess glue can be wiped off as you go with a wet cotton cloth( read old Tshirt). This leaves the paint in tact and doesn't dull the finish for a metal look. The dry larger pieces are attached together by inserting small nails with the heads cut off into the edges covered with glue and pushed together. The Hemispheres are just Styrofoam balls cut in two covered with drywall compound sanded smooth and painted with thin coats of the desired color so not to again dissolve the foam.

The curved base portion is made from a stack of 2" thick pieces of Styrofoam insulation attached together with drywall screws.( all parts are cut out on a band saw) The vertical portions are Styrofoam 3/4 thick. Each piece is covered with high quality poster board /construction paper painted first with gold or flat black paint. The bottom has a hemisphere made from a Styrofoam ball cut in half and covered with drywall compound sanded and painted gold. Everything is then glued together with Elmer's glue. I attached them to the ceiling by first placing long drywall screws into the ceiling positioned above the piece then cut off the heads with a Dremel tool , covered the length of the screw with glue and then pushed the piece into position.

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
Had to go to his site to get an understanding of that (was almost zoomed in too much) but that is actually a really good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks