What's new

Now I know why people hate spoilers :f (1 Viewer)

GabrielleG

Stunt Coordinator
Moderators I have no idea if this belongs in the TV or Movies section so I apologize in advance. This is my first rant, but boy am I miffed. Last night I was watching one of my favorite TV shows,CSI, and they started talking about the second movie in my Netflix cue, Strangers on a Train. I plugged my ears and turned away but I still think I got a major plotline handed to me. They also showed a small clip from whatI believe to be the end of the movie. I really hate that.:frowning:

Gabrielle

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Gabrielle, it's too bad you got spoiled because one of the greatest things about Hitch is his element for surprise and keeping the viewer in suspense. Rest assured though, you will still enjoy this picture. Now my sister-in-law still has never seen Psycho nor knows anything about the plot. Oh, to be in that situation!

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
Tommy G wrote:
my sister-in-law still has never seen Psycho nor knows anything about the plot. Oh, to be in that situation!
I wish I could've been in that situation even once! (I unfortunately saw Psycho II before seeing Hitchcock's classic.)

GabrielleG

Stunt Coordinator
Are you serious? Ok, i'm going to assume you are since you typed it. How would you like it if you went to rent a movie and the clerk behind the desk belched out "oh I love that movie especially when they...." It's the same thing. And By the way unless this movie was rereleased(possible) I couldn't have seen it in the theater if I wanted to. This movie came out before my mother was even born. The point is I rented it from Netflix because I wanted to see it in "my theater." I had no clue what the plot was other then that it was a Hitchcock Classic and that it was a thriller. But before I could plug my ears, I not only new the plot but I knew one of the twists.

Gabrielle

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
How would you like it if you went to rent a movie and the clerk behind the desk belched out "oh I love that movie especially when they...." It's the same thing.
That would suck, but it is in no way the "same thing".

Do TV writers really need to worry that someone out there hasn't seen a 52-year-old film they've referenced?

GabrielleG

Stunt Coordinator
Do TV writers really need to worry that someone out there hasn't seen a 52-year-old film they've referenced?
Im new to the clasics I honestly didn't know untile i started watching the movie. I guessed pretty darned quick but it was still left up to me.

Gabrielle

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The only movie I don't mind worry about spoiling is Star Wars, because everyone who would care already knows - except some children of course.

That's quite ironic, given that the first time I watched Star Wars was 10 years ago, and some idiot had already told me the twist.

--
Holadem

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Remind me of the CHEERS episode where Frasier tells everyone in the bar that
Citizen Cane and Star Wars spoilerRosebud is just a sled and Darth Vader is Luke's father.
:)

My roommate was actually spoiled for EMPIRE by a Doritos commercial a few years ago. Convenience store clerk puts a bucket on his head and says,
Star Wars spoiler"Luke, I am your father."
:D

[Did you do this on purpose? Spoiler tags added by moderator. Cees]

Since I'm watching the first season of Fox's 24 I know better than to watch current episodes. However, my roommate had That 70's Show on one evening and there was a spot for that night's episode that spoiled a major season 1 plot point. i.e. that Nina had killed Jack's wife.
I was not happy. :angry:

I'm ejoying STAR TREK DEEP SPACE NINE for the first time and it is difficult to avoid spoilers for later seasons. A mere caption accompanying a photo in a magazine interview of Nana Visitor can give away far far too much!

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Some jerk on the IGN fora spoiled the end of Unbreakable for me. My sister spoiled Aladdin and countless tv shows and movies spoiled Citizen Kane. I also didn't start watching Buffy until season 1 hit DVD, but various articles had spoiled major plot points for me. For instance.

Angel leaving and taking Cordelia, Dawn, Willow's lesbianism, Joyce and Tara's deaths, Spike's reappearance and Oz being a werewolf.

With 24,

I knew Terri died, thanks to TV Guide, but at least didn't know Nina was the traitor.

Probably the worst was with Xena when someone posted the basis of the season 3 arc in a subject line on alt.tv.xena the summer before season 3 started. They also spun it in a way apparently designed to piss off the maximum number of fans. That wrecked whatever civility the fandom had had up until that point.

A bunch of sources have wrecked the Crying Game as well. We need someway of using spoiler tags in the print and tv worlds.

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
I always find it kind of ironic how people go on about spoilers ruining a movie. Everybody in the world (unless you've been living in a cave all your life) knows the history of the Titanic, yet the movie was the biggest movie of all time. You would of thought everyone would of stayed away as they already knew what was going to happen. Knowing what happens at the end of a movie doesn't always have to spoil it, if it did very few people would watch a movie more than once. Granted some movies will have more of an impact if the twist at the end is a surprise, but that only applies to a small percentage of movies. In most cases a movie is a lot more than just an ending, it's the journey to the end that is most important. Think of the end of a movie as the punchline to a joke. The punchline in itself means nothing. It's not until you hear the rest of the joke that it becomes important. Hell most movies are so predictable you can tell what happens at the end before you even get there.

Personally I think there should be a statute of limitations on movie spoilers.

But don't worry I'm not going to start throwing out spoilers. Not around this place anyway. People round here are way too sensitive.

RichardK

Second Unit
dont even get me started about movie previews these days!
my brother covers his eyes and ears when they come on!
i just saw angermanagement and david (adam sandler) has to under go anger management with buddy rydel (jack nicholson)
. anyhow the previews show you the whole movie...i hate that

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks