What's new

Now confirmed development: Sony to discontinue rear-projection HDTVs (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
RPTV has always impressed me far beyond a standard LCD or Plasma screen. I have to admit the expensive LCDs are looking nicer to the point you can stand close to them. But by far a 1080p DLP RPTV I think has such a sweet picture. What does this do for DLP once RPTV is discontinued. Aren't all DLPs RPTVs?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Yes, all dlps are rptvs but not all rptvs are dlp. That being said, the only non-dlp rptvs I know of are the LCD and SXRD Sonys and they're going away.

What we're seeing in the accelerating demise of rptvs is a slavish herd mentality demand for flat panel tvs coupled with the fact that those who really care about HD pq have long since purchased HDTVs, many of them having opted for big beautiful rptvs. The buyers in the market now are primarily looking for replacements for old crt sets that are dying or those wanting to get a jump on the analog turn-off.
They are for the most part far more interested in fitting a tv into an armoire than in creating an immersive home theater experience.

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Exactly Steve, TV as a fashion accessory and style statement. "Look at me, I can afford a Plasma TV that was $15,000 two years ago."

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I own two rptv's, a 52" Mitsubishi and a recently aquired 65" Toshiba ($1399 @ Frys) and while I thought flat panels were cool, I just couldn't resist the size to price ratio of rptv. I figured rptv's would be fazed out soon but I thought Sony would be one of the last ones standing. Guess I was wrong, yet again. So what do you think, 12-18 months before they're all gone? Two years at the latest?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I meant a year or two for all rptv's. The stores seem to be quickly pushing them aside in favor of flat panels.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I think Mitsubishi will hang on to DLP sets for awhile.

I read somewhere that Sony is shutting the doors to its rear projection plants in February, but I don't have the link for that reference on hand.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
ACH. :frowning:

So, I'm in the process of building The New Theater and I'm hunting around for The New TV and I settle upon the Sony 60" and I get all excited... And then I learn THIS! That they are gonna discontinue the TV I just figured out I must have.

The New Theater is at least two months away. Should I buy the big Sony and also buy an "extended warranty" to cover the time it will sit in the box in the garage waiting for the theater to be ready?

Or, is there an alternative TV I have not yet found that will score as happy high as the big Sony RP?

HELP!

Why does this always happen to me?

MC

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If you preferred the SXRD over the DLP, then I would recommend waiting until February or March to see if you can get these sets on clearance. I would also make a point to go ahead a buy one or two replacement lamps now. I'm sure Sony will continue to make them available, I just wonder if they will keep supply up to demand.

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
I got to see the 60" Sony last week in a home theater environment, and it was awesome. Here's my problem...I'd be replacing a 34" XBR CRT HDTV whose only shortcoming is picture size. During Syracuse's 8 month winter I watch this TV from in front of the fire, maybe 6 feet away at a 35 degree angle!
How will an RPTV do here? Would the 50" or 55" be a better choice? Do any other display types handle severe side angle viewing better?
Thanks!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Plasma and LCD offer better viewing angles than the rear projection sets. If you have such a situation, you really should look at the flatscreens at the angle it would be in your room, and judge for yourself (along with doing the same testing with RP HDTVs).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks