What's new

Now confirmed development: Sony to discontinue rear-projection HDTVs (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Here's a link to the story. Sony is devoting their resources to LCD flatpanel displays as it's the future of HDTV sets.

So, if you are on the fence on their SXRD rear-projection HDTV sets, it might be time to buy that set (larger picture for the money, though viewing angles are not as wide as flatpanels).

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I hope this isn't true. We've already seen Toshiba start its move away from rear projection with their announcement that they will stop production of DLP sets. If Sony leaves the market that pretty much leaves JVC, Mistsubishi and Samsung as the last standers in the rear projection market. It's a somewhat disturbing trend for anyone who is interested in a large, high-quality picture at a relatively affordable price -- especially those of us who don't care if the tv can be hung on a wall.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
[injecting personal bias] Plus a RPTV still has some (limited) possibilty of repair when it's out of warranty while flat panels have virtually none. [/injecting personal bias]

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking as a new owner of a 50A3000 RPTV (Mmmmmm.....1080p), I'm both dismayed and relieved at my last-minute impulse to buy one this November. To get this screen size with either LCD or Plasma flat panel would've required a much bigger outlay of cash.

Seriously, this set is only about 14" deep. Are living spaces becoming THAT constricted? I have a dedicated theater space, but this set would fit into the living room just as easily.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Article on Yahoo.com says that Sony will begin shutting down the rear projection plants in February -- good information for anyone hitting the after-Christmas sales . . . these things will probably be on clearance in Feb or March.

The best piece of news in the article is that they plan to focus their attention on OLED -- it will be interesting to see what comes of that.

Article: Sony becomes latest to quit rear-projection TVs - Yahoo! News

mylan

Screenwriter
I have a three year old Sony RP LCD. I wonder how long replacement lamps will be available.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I'm sorry to hear about this. Sony has stopped making CRTs, plasmas, and now RPTVs (?)

I certainly do hope they have something up their sleeve other than LCDs.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

The article says they plan to focus their attention on OLED. That is the only good news in the article to me. With the planned date of February to shut down their RP production facilities I am hoping that means we'll see their OLED products at CES.

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Somebody will continue to make DLPs and RP LCDs if they can figure out how to keep the price vs. size favorable. I have no desire or need to hang a TV on my wall. I also can't understand why people by a flat panel TV and then put it in the same place as there old RPTV. Ummmm, the TV is still 15 - 20 inches from the wall???? Presonally, I like the LCD RPTVs and I have no need to hang a TV from the wall. So, for the money, I'll bye the LCD RPTV anyday.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
And have a mass of cables dangling to connect the cable/antenna/DVD/VCR/DVR/cablebox/satreceiver that have to sit somewhere. I doubt that many of the current wallhangers did a professional installation with power ventilated enclosures, hidden wiring, equipment closets and IR repeaters with the display at the correct height and distance. (eye level at lower 1/3rd of screen and seated at 4 times screen height)

I don't think Texas Instruments is going to roll over and play dead. They could flood the OEM market with high quality, low cost DLP light engines. LCDs probably have too many parts (and much more complicated mechanical alignment and a lot of driver circuits) in a light engine to get much cheaper.

On a somewhat related note, Fujitsu, who used to supply Sony Plasma panels, is dumping displays. Fujitsu to Exit Display Market - CE Pro Article

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I admit, I'm really dissappointed in this. We're in the middle of replacing everything, and I really don't feel as though LCD matches the quality of a great DLP. I've seen both, I just haven't seen an LCD that I think is good enough that I think meets that level.

I've been looking to replace our set with a similar (we're replacing a 60" Grand Wega) so now I'm going to have to dash and look.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't agree more, Chris. I just hope that Sony will show us an OLED display at CES that will look at least as good as SXRD or DLP.

The problem is that apparently the manufacturers aren't making as much money on these. Also, the article said that Sony has had to cut their projected sales on rear-projection sets by more than 43% during 2007 -- that tells me that consumers as a whole (or on average) aren't interested in rear projection anymore. It's a sad state of affairs, but if that trend is true and continues then I would be very surprised to see Samsung and Mitsubishi continue in the rear-projection market.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
This news came just days after I set up my new Sony 60" SXRD set. I guess we all knew RP was going away some day, but it seems a little premature given what Sony has accomplished with their current line of SXRDs. This set has absolutely stunning PQ. The geometry is spot on, and the viewing angle is more than wide enough for my rather large room. They've conquered some of the physical drawbacks of RPs as well - this thing is only 16" deep, and weighs only 90 pounds!

The set cost me just $1600, which is a freakin' bargain for a screen this size with this PQ. Blu-Rays & HD-DVDs just leap to life on this set. Anyone in the market for a screen this size ought to seriously check these out while you can still get them.

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
This is sad. My father has a 65" Sony DLP that I love. I like the picture SO much better than any LCD I've seen.

Does this mean that my hopes for a SONY DLP next year are gone, and I should try to find an LCD that I'll settle with?

mylan

Screenwriter

Really? Sony made a DLP display? When? I have a three year old 60" RP LCD Sony and I researched DLP vs. LCD and never knew Sony made a DLP. The newer SXRD's (which are really a variation of LCOS) probably look better than mine but I will put my LCD up against many DLP's.

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator

Truthfully I haven't looked closely at it. I know its a RP of some kind, but I won't mess with it much because there are 2 things you NEVER mess with. 1) A mans girl, 2) a mans electronics. And he's been even worse about it since my little sister finnally moved out and it's only him and my mom there now.

Anyway, I assumed it was a DLP, but I'm pretty sure it is an SXRD. Sorry, it's been awhile since I've done any TV research. I'm still running an SDTV that is almost 5 years old now.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker

Another thing that they are going to be introducing at CES is Wireless HDTV.

Cutting the Cord on Flat Panel TVs

I can see why Sony and others are backing away from RPTV as consumers are getting tired of having to change the bulb out on these sets within the first couple of years of ownership and they are looking to flat panel as a replacement. With flat panel LCD, Plasma and OLED you have a screen with long life and brightless levels that stay high over the life of the panel.

Now they just need to come out with some 65 inch panels in the $1,500 to $2,000 price range.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed

I'd be willing to bet that it's an SXRD.
I got into a heated argument, with a salesman at Sears, because he said, "yeah, the SXRD is a very good DLP tv." I told him, and his department manager, that it's not good to lie to the customers, and he needs to learn what he's selling! I haven't seen him in there since. He may have been fired................

I've been wanting a 61" JVC D-ILA, or 60" Sony SXRD, for a couple of years now. I think they have the best pictures out there, from everything I've seen. I've not seen a JVC in awhile. I hope they're not quitting too?

Sony needs to remember that not everyone likes the same things! If they did, there would only be one brand of car, one brand of receiver, one brand of clothing, and everyone's house would look identical! So, they need to keep making more than one kind of tv.....................
Just my $.02 :)

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor

Unfortunately, the life of the circuit boards connected to the panels is only about 5 years. (plus they are expensive and unavailable after about 2 years) The cost of lamps has been kept artificailly high due to the patents on the housings (my best guess, since the actual element is a $25 part in volume)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks