What's new

Novice Anime Discussion Part I (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Ai Yori Aoshi ~Enishi~ (which will come out here starting next year, currently on episode 5 of 13 in Japan)
and
Ebichu The Housekeeping Hamster (GAINAX show from the mind of Hideaki Anno [Evangelion, Nadia, Kare Kano] which has a snowball's chance in hell of coming out here :) )

That's more ADVANCED anime ;)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Actually, they're saying 'Kampai!', which means 'cheers!' in Japanese.
Wow. I guess you learn something new every day! :)

Tom, I highly suggest getting Cowboy Bebop (along with the movie) and Crest of the Stars. Those are my two favorite series.

And also for movies, you need to get more Miyazaki stuff, like Spirited Away.

As others have said, take a look at the anime list I made. I think you will find it useful.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Much thanks to the Admin Michael Reuben for merging the threads, as it is easier to search and get relevant info this way... :D

Jesse Leonard:

There are many good releases for you to think about and look at. Most of the people here hang out at the Advanced Anime Thread, and will gladly give you advice on what to watch. Tony-B's novice list is a great start, pick one series/OVA/Movie, and try it to see how you like it.

Personally, starting with Ghibli movies is a great way to start, or start with fun stuff like the representative "harem" genre Tenchi Muyo!, slower moving Crest of the Stars, the truly cool vampire series Hellsing, and a long but fun sword action series called Rurouni Kenshin TV series, which you can catch on Cartoon Network's SVES block at like 11:00 PM.

Another slightly more affordable route is to look at collecting Manga or Japanese comics as released by Dark Horse, Viz, Tokyopop or ADV Manga. at prices form $10~15, which can be found on the web for around $7~8 dollars.

Please check and read the section on Bootlegs, as there are PLENTY of those - even in the Amazon Market Place - and avoid Ebay like the plague unless you know what you are looking for and at.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
No essential collection would be complete without the Yamato films especially Final Yamato.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Just found this thread. Read the first 10 pages and haven't gone near the advanced thread. It's good to find some Anime feedback and recommendations.

I grew up in the UK but didn't see any Anime till I moved to Australia when I was 14. At least I don't think Ulysees 2001 was Anime. Watched Astroboy when I was a kid but the first Anime I saw as an adult was The Castle of Count Cagliostro (fun film). I then watched Neon Genesis Evangelion as it was shown weekly on TV. Those last couple of episodes were doosies.

I renewed my Anime interest this year when I borrowed Record of Lodoss War and Trigun from a work colleague and liked them both. I thought Trigun was excellent.

I've been trying to watch new stuff but being fiscally challenged doesn't help. Also being in central IL doesn't help either. I'll have to ask around at work and I'll check out the library. It used to have an excellent diverse selection but the $50 dvd player has changed that. Now it's almost all Hollywood flick, popcorn and kids stuff.

I'll have to see if I can find Beserk somewhere it sounds interesting.

Are any of the Anime Vampire series/films worth watching.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Are any of the Anime Vampire series/films worth watching.
Hellsing, the Vampire Hunter D series (original and Bloodlust), and Blood: The Last Vampire are all worth seeing in that genre.

Berserk is coming in a boxset very soon, so ya might wanna wait for that. (two versions: one is a multi-disc brick and the other is individual cases in a cardboard box)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, if you liked Lodoss War (the only anime I owned for years), go pick up Berserk. Seriously. :) There is no brick set of it (Media Blasters canceled the brick version), but the premium set is available.

Since you are on a limited budget, see the DDD coupon discussion in the coupon/bargains forum for more details, but you can grab all 6 Berserk discs + box for about $68 shipped free after the coupon. www.deepdiscountdvd.com - very reputable company. With the coupon codes current until tomorrow (USATODAY, DVDTALK) you can get 20% off their already dirt cheap prices. A lot of good deals going on, the best we've seen in years.

Media Play and the like have the Berserk premium collection, but it's something like $120 or so.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
My work colleague asked me if I knew about a Cowboy Bebop box set. A quick look online seems to show it as OOP. Is it about to be re-released or should he pick up the individual disks?

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Long gone. Now going for about $3-$400 on eBAY... luckily I got one when DeepDiscountDVD found a box in the back of their storeroom earlier last year :D :D

Amazon has had a good bundle with all the discs together though for ~$100. Try that :)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
WOOHOO! Novice Anime is alive! :D

I'll update the list tomorrow night, so please watch out for that. While I am at it, does anyone have an item to add?

Amazon has had a good bundle with all the discs together though for ~$100.
I got that bundle, and I am really happy with it. It's a great price for a great series. :)

Jesse Brickzin

Stunt Coordinator
While I am at it, does anyone have an item to add?
Haibane-Renmei :emoji_thumbsup:
Azumanga Daioh (i have only seen the first 10 or so episodes but they are so FUNNY, Osaka Rules! but i guess it might be better to hold off till ADV releases the title before adding it to the list, eventually it will be added cause it is that good ;)

as for titles already on the list
RahXephon
Eva
Metropolis

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I'll recommend Azumanga Daioh too then (I was waiting for the release, but what the heck!).

Great series, although ADV is going to marvelously fuck it up (being VERY Japanese and VERY text-intensive [something that has only been done correctly once, with Kare Kano by TRSI])

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Rob Lutter and Tony-B:

What's with all this swearing? As far as I know, neither of you were born as bastards from swearing sea faring men. :D ;)

To everyone else:

All of Berserk at $120 is a steal, since Berserk is such a quality show. But take advantage of DDD's prices. That's why DDD is my favorite vendor for dvds...

While you are at it, check out Escaflowne - both the TV and movie are very good in their own right, but the TV series is better for good pacing and story. Very little fluff.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
From what I've read of the manga of Azumanga Daioh from ADV. I have no (aka ZERO) confidence in ADV in treating the anime right. I mean if they can Americanize the manga, what's to stop them from Americanizing the anime?

Horrible horrible company.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks