What's new

November Criterion releases (1 Viewer)

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I think the Tales of Hoffman Criterion release may approach the record for longest delay between my hearing of an imminent release and its actual announcement. I read on a forum that this was an expected Criterion back in early 2001. Not sure what the long wait was for, though it looks like a fine release.

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
What are the chances Criterion could get their hands on Jean de Florette and Manon of the Spring? I assume Sony has control of these now that they've got MGM, right? And they're currently out of print. And the previous editions had problems and were bare bones etc.

Well, I can dream, can't I?

(Au Revoir les Enfants would also be quite welcome. Hope it comes soon.)

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator
Re: Tales Of Hoffmann

Did they ever find the full length print of this movie? I read on allmovie.com that the movie was originally 138 min but could only be restored to 127 min in the early 90s.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
I think I'll have to pick up all 3. Tales Of Hoffman would be a blind buy, but it sounds great and I loved Red Shoes. The other 2 are just simply brillant films...

I'm crossing all fingers and toes that Playtime is in the next batch. Not only because it's one of my most eagerly anticipated titles, but also to relieve George of his depression when the next monthly Criterion thread starts...:D

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Beautiful covers! Here's hoping for a nice surprise about that fourth spine!

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Well they have had some big December releases in the past .... but I will be disappointed if Playtime in not a '05 release.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Bob Turnbull, wrote,

I would only recommend it to fans of Powell & Pressburger. It is not a good starting place. But if you love The Red Shoes, then go for it; but don't expect your typical narrative 50s movie. I think it is one of the most extraordinary films ever made. But it feels really long the first time you watch it. Hopefully, the extras will put the film in context.

I, too badly want to see the Special Edition of Playtime. I saw a 35mm print last year. Loved it. Hopefully, it will extensive and substantial extras and the 6-track mix.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I guess I consider myself a fan of P&P. I've got a handful of their movie titles and they're all high up on my list (if I were to make a list).

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
1.37 or 1.33:1 is the correct ratio for Pickpocket. Matting to 1.66:1 did become the standard in France until the about 1962.

Mike D

Stunt Coordinator
Here's the art for #314 Bresson's Pickpocket

And one for #315 Truffaut's Shoot the Piano Player which should properly go in a December releases thread

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Nice artwork on Pickpocket and Piano Player, but they've essentially just used the existing posters anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks