What's new

NOTHING impressive about Jurassic Park III (1 Viewer)

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I bought JPIII the first week it was available, and finally watched it last night for the first time. I must say I was pleasantly surprised! I don't think it's going to win any awards, but it was a fun popcorn flick with suspense and plenty of action. It's hard to compare it to either of the other two IMO. JP was fairly original when it came out and really knocked a lot of people's socks off. The Lost World...well, I need to watch it again before I could intelligently comment. It's been a while.

I think the movie's creators were smart in keeping JPIII to a shorter timeframe too - if it were too long, it may have lost a little bit of it's "charm" for me.

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
what does it mean when the speakers make a crackling or popping sound...(not the same as distortion like a car stereo played too loudly)..it it exceeding the speakers limits or pushing the amps power too far? (I think its called clipping) my speakers can handle 120 watts and my ampp has 80 watts per channel (a yamaha dolby digital)...just curious..this happened with the spinos roar when he looked into the plane after eating the pilot.

Ariel

Stunt Coordinator
i think it is the speaker reaching it's limit. i have the paradigm pdr12 before and also experience the same in the openning of toy story2 when i tried to play it loud.

Chip E

Screenwriter
JPIII, on my rig at moderate to low volumes removed things from the the wall that shouldn't've....lol

B&K 307

SVS 2039PC

PSB Stratus speakers

Erwin

Stunt Coordinator
How could one like the second one more than the third. There is really only one thing that makes me dislike the second one. Is the T-Rex in Califorinia? No. Is it the lame plot? No. Is it Dr. Malcom's annoying daughter who whines every 3 seconds? Um...Yes.

The new kid(who also played in The Patriot) is one of the best ones yet in the JP franchise. He's brave and has more guts than anyone who's every faced the dinos with the exception of Dr. Grant. Plus, that's another thing, Grant made this movie seem more like the first one than the second one. I like them all though. I think there is far too many people that will agree though that the third one is much better than the second one. The Spinosoraus rules.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
What exactly is reference level? Is it based on loudness? I couldn't crank up Jp3 this evening :frowning: , but the knob at 9.00 in Dts was pretty good, some decent bass.

MarkPayton

Stunt Coordinator
I know this thread is really focused on the DVD itself, but...
In a fit of boredom on a business trip, I actually watched this on Spectravision (or whatever the hotel system is called these days). I'm sure my reaction is affected by the exceedingly poor experience of watching a movie in stereo on a curved 25" screen (even though I sat REALLY close and turned the volume up;)) - if anything this forced me to really pay attention to the quality of the movie from a story and acting perspective, and I must say I was SO incredibly underwhelmed that I have vowed to not even bother to rent this from Netflix. Perhaps it's just me, but if the movie is poor (which unfortunately is my opinion of JPIII) then the quality of the DVD experience doesn't really make up for it. Widescreen, anamorphic, DTS 6.1 crap is still crap I guess. Flame shields up. OK perhaps I might sit down again to see this on a 100" screen with dual SVS SS's pumping out the bass, but for my middle of the road system I'd prefer to watch the original JP in DTS and leave it at that.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Loved the movie (well, enjoyed it as a popcorn flick, that is). It lacked the dark sadistic edge that was present in the second film. Rather, this one was a fun house ride. Even the bad dinosaurs had motivation. Plus, Sam Neil was good to have back, and the guy from the Mamet film (and FARGO) was good. Though I was surprised the end of the film came so suddenly.

But I have a quick question about the beginning of the film.

The parsailing boat crew vanish into the fog and don't come back out alive. Later in the film we associate the fog with the "birdcage," yet if the boat crew was attacked by the birds, it means the birdcage was open all the time. Yet we are shown the birds escaping the birdcage only after Tea Leoni leaves the door unlocked at the end of the film. So what gives? What killed the boat crew?

DarrenA

Second Unit
I have a cheap Home Theater I-A-Box system from Philips. *BUT* I bought a 200 Watt 12" sub that goes down to 25hz, and movies like "Fight Club" *TRUELY* shake the whole house from top to bottom when the sub is calibrated to 75dbs.
Something is truely amiss here. Either your system is not setup properly or optimally, or your bass management in the Philips HT In-A-Box is lacking in some fashion. The low end bass in both Jurassic Park III and Toy Story 2 should impress even the most ardent bass fanatic. Try and check out someone elses HT setup with these titles and see if you hear and feel the difference.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
JPIII was a step up from JPII, imho. Pretty brainless, but better than the first sequel which for some reason I find almost unwatchable.
Now...when are they going to get off those damn islands and put the dinos in the city where they belong??? :D

JaleelK

Second Unit
Watch the DD version of the film. As stated in another thread (and I tested this myself with an SPL meter) the bass on the DD track is about 6 dBs louder. Believe me, it adds a lot to the movie over its DTS counterpart.>>>>

The DD bass is most of time louder and more boomy than DTS, I prefer DTS because it always seemed to be more refined and punchy. Anyway, the JP3 disk is just awesome, sound and picture.

MarkPayton

Stunt Coordinator
On the openining sequence question:

Perhaps it was my imagingation running away with me, but I thought there was one shot where the crew of the boat was looking ahead and saw a disturbance in the water, like a reef or perhaps a giant underwater dinosuar. If memory serves correctly, something came to the surface, and I think we're meant to believe some water-bound beast took 'em out. Perhaps a set-up for JPIV? Or maybe I just have poor recall - someone who actually owns this should be able to find that scene and tell us definitively.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
OK, I liked Lost World more than JP3.(although I'll have to re-buy it...I was gone for a week for Xmas, and now my LW DVD is mysteriously gone, along with some CD's...I'm sure my roomate had 20 people over one night, like he does sometimes, and one of those bastards took them...anyway...).

Lost World KNOCKED stuff off the shelf, JP 3 didn't seem to have as deep of bass, but more. I don't know, but to me, Lost World has the DEEPEST bass of the three.

Josh Sieg

Second Unit
Odd, I read this thread and received the same results! ;) Kidding!
Yeah man, that movie is not so great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks