What's new

Notable Disney Live-Action Titles Coming to DVD in 2004 (1 Viewer)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Especially Notable Titles in Bold

Walt: The Man Behind the Myth (March 2)
The Gnome-Mobile (Pan and Scan) (March 2)
Miracle of the White Stallions (Pan and Scan) (March 2)
Night Crossing (Pan and Scan) (March 2)
Son of Flubber (April 6)
Ghosts of the Abyss (April 27)
The Great Locomotive Chase (May 4, 2004) - Originally shot in CinemaScope, no word on DVD aspect ratio
Now You See Him, Now You Don't (May 4, 2004)
The Strongest Man in the World (May 4, 2004)
Herbie Rides Again (May 4, 2004)
Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (May 4, 2004)
Herbie Goes Bananas (May 4, 2004)
Freaky Friday - Original 1977 Version (title streets in June)
Candleshoe (June)
The Happiest Millionaire: Roadshow Version (June)
Flight of the Navigator (June)
A Far Off Place (June)
The Three Lives of Thomasina (July)
The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band (July)
The Ugly Dachschund (July)
Darby O'Gill and the Little People (August)
Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow (August)
The Shaggy Dog (August)
The Black Hole (August)
Tex (September)
The Island at the Top of the World (September)
Mary Poppins: Masterpiece Edition (December)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Well there are quite a few titles on there that are not going to go over well if released in P&S only. It's a bit nerve-racking

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
The Black Hole?!?!

Disney finally claims it as their own? I wonder if it will be better than the Anchor Bay release, which isn't bad.

Good to finally see The Island at the Top of the World too.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
There will be little point in repurchasing any of the previous Anchor Bay released titles if they don't have new, anamorphic transfers. Candleshoe will be at the top of my list for June along with Freaky Friday if they are done properly.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Freaky Friday will be Anamorphic Widescreen. Not really sure about the rest, but I'm holding some hope they won't all (or mostly) be Fullscreen casualties.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
The two titles I want the most are Three Lives of Thomasina and Darby O'Gill, both of which are in my top 5 of the best Walt Disney live action films. Thomasina is a suprising drama that, at it's core, explores the theme of blaming God for death and loss. Patrick McGoohan (Braveheart) is outstanding as the wounded husband who has turned his back on God, as is Karen Dotrice (Mary Poppins), the little girl who slides into madness after losing both her mother and her treasured cat in short order. Exceptional, woefully-underseen Disney film.

Darby O'Gill should need no explanation, but it, too, has fallen into neglect -- there hasn't been a new release of this title on home video in years. Although most people remember Darby for its outstanding visual f/x, the best thing about it is the screenplay and the acting. The film features winning performances by Albert Sharpe as Darby, Jimmy O'Dea as King Brian, the sparkling Janet Munro, and Sean Connery, who made his American cinema debut with this film. The witty and charming screenplay was written by Lawrence Watkin, based on the Darby O'Gill stories by author H. T. Kavanaugh.

The only regrettable choice in both films is the awkward Disney staple of a catchy theme song -- the same thing that mars 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. If you ever wanted to see and hear Sean Connery close out a film by bursting into song, here's your chance.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Their are a few titles listed that I'm interested in, but none more so than Dr. Syn.

Dr. Syn was originally rumored as a Tresure release 2 years ago. I wonder if this well than be a 2 disc release of the original tv shows, or a theactrical cut? Well it have extras?

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter

Oh hell yeah...the banshee scared the crap out of me as a kid. Now that I think of it, it's still pretty freaky.

And yes, Sean Connery is in it. AND HE SINGS TOO! Something everyone needs to see at least once...

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Hey Ernest--why no bold for "The Black Hole?" I know the movie was riddled with it's fair share of problems, but what's your take on it?

I guess this question is kind of similar to my question about The Black Cauldron in that both movies made some noise before release, and then sank. They're mostly curiosity pieces now.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
The transfer Disney supplied to Anchor Bay for Island At The Top Of The World was total crap. It would be a huge disappointment if they just recycle the same transfers for the re-issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks