What's new

Not very happy with SVS... (1 Viewer)

Robert*S

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a email from Erik at SVS saying that due to the backorder of ISD drivers, my sub probably will not ship for another 2 weeks.
I don't mind the wait (well, actually, yes I do - I wanted that sub to magically materialize in my HT calibrated and ready to go the moment I ordered it! :D ) but the hard part is that I sold my previous sub (Sony SA-WM40) and have been sub-less for the last two weeks. Have you tried watching Lord of the Rings or the Matrix without a sub? It is torture, trust me.
I am in no way blaming SVS for this, they have been very upfront and honest with me and I'm sure my sub, a 22-31PCi, will blow my socks off compared to the Sony. Although I think I might write a strongly worded letter to their ISD driver supplier :)
They say good things come to those who wait and I am sure I will not be dissapointed.

rob.

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Chester Dude,

Please stop thread farting. Your not contributing anything positive to this thread!!!!

Thank You,
Steve Simon
HTF Administration

Scott_Condon

Auditioning
I just got a reply saying that it would be another couple business days until my 25-31 PC+ ships. I was told the same thing Monday. I hope this isn't a never ending pattern.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi all,

Just a quick update,

The primary reason for the delays has been driver outages. We are overnighting >100 ISD drivers in for delivery tomorrow. Don't ask how much this costs..:)

We may get them in time to ship a large quantity of subwoofers out the same day(we have many of the PCi, PB-1isd and CS backorders pre built and just waiting to add the driver, test and box). But it may be Monday before most of them ship. Behind these drivers, we have a truckload due to arrive mid next week. So all PCi and CS orders should be shipping within 2-3 business days. PB-1isd and PB-2isd orders won't be too far behind that. And from that point on...we should be able to ship all PCi,CS,PB-1isd,PB-2isd orders within a 1-3 day window.

The PC+ backorders are getting caught up too. I was in the new manufacturering facility today and we reviewed the situation. I believe we are shipping out about two full UPS truck loads of PC+ units today. This should catch us up so that all PC+ orders up to the 2-3-03 or 2-3-04 range are shipped. The problem here is we are running very short on dB12s now and we aren't expecting the next truckload of those for about 10 days.

I apologize for the constant changes in our shipping date estimates. We are just giving you the info we get from our vendors though(and they keep changing the dates on us!). We are also taking steps to insure these shortages are a thing of the past( like adding a new employee who has the primary task of inventory management..:)

Tom V.
SVS

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Scott,

I'm not 100% sure, but I am 98% sure your subwoofer is shipping out today.

If you don't see a tracking notice by 6-7pm, email me!

EDIT---Scott, I have your tracking number in front of me now. You'll see it in a few minutes I'm sure..:) Thank you for being so understanding of the delay!

Tom V.
SVS

AxelKro

Stunt Coordinator
@ Tom

Hi there, I missed the mentioning of the PB1+ shipping dates. Ron told me I would get my two Subs built next week.
Hope that you do not face the lack of db12 drivers right in front of my enclosures :frowning:
In that case, feel free to fit TV12 drivers instead. I will not complain, granted. :)

Cheers,
Axel

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
Man i´m excited!
My PC+ 16-46 arrived here in Sweden this morning. 30 minutes late. Don´t really matter as the customs will have it for a couple of days as I pay the taxes for it.

That means there´s only a few days left until I can feel a SVS for the first time.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Oleg Razgul

Auditioning
I just got my 25-31+ today. WOWZERS, in the Fellowship of the Ring and The Matrix (the ones I tested so far), I was seriously missing half of the sound before the woofer.

I was pissed off about having to pay a ridiculous brokerage charge (way more than I expected) but I don't regret the order one bit. The lights and ceiling fan were rattling :O.

Nick Breckon

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, now that I have regained my composure, I am going to try and purge some of the negativity of this thread by praising SVS like crazy for a few paragraphs.

The day has come and gone. The SVS was set up and demoed. And there was much rejoicing.

First of all, damn this thing is HUGE. I had no idea from the little picture online. I mean, I had dimensions, but it's hard to imagine a subwoofer quite this big. It's intimidating. I started off calibrating it to the rest of the speakers. After a short time I had everything at a flat 75 decibels on DVE, so I popped in Episode 1 pod race, DTS, and let it fly at 5db below reference. Wow! Flat, tight bass. Just what I wanted. But nothing really shocked me outright - it was bass, it was great, but it didn't drop my jaw.

Then I turned the gain up to half volume.

Holy. Sweet. Jesus!

Jurassic Park DTS had my stomach, heart, kidney and spleen twisting eachother up towards my mouth. I had no idea a room as acoustically crappy as mine could sound that flat-out amazing. Episode 2, Iron Giant, The Matrix, Lord of the Rings - this thing eats big DVDs for breakfast. Never heard anything this good, even in a brand new theater - I mean, what am I saying - forget theaters! My SVS gives me better bass, my 57" HDTV gives me better quality, and my Paradigm Studios give me better sound. Plus, no more annoying kids or people eating 200lb buckets of popcorn. Why do I need a theater again?

I also seperated the front L/R speakers to about 10 feet instead of right next to eachother, and that has made a noticeable difference. Much more clear, distinct soundfield. Basically, I'm in audio/visual heaven. Thank you Tom, Ron and Eric and everyone else at SVS for the patience to answer my emails so quickly, the helpful replies, and for an amazing product. You guys have got a good thing going here, and I wish you the best.

Also, a general thanks to the HTF community. You guys are the real troopers here. I'm fairly certain that without the unabashed support from you guys, SVS wouldn't be where they are today. And I'm 100% certain I'd still be living behind the Home Theater Iron Curtain.

Wow.

-Nick Breckon

MikeLi

Supporting Actor

No you would be living with an inferior sub that you paid two to three times as much for. I waited 6 months or so for my PB2+ after it was first announced until completion and first shipping. I had another sub so it was not that bad of a wait except mentally. I wanted this thing that everyone everywhere brags about... an SVS Sub... Had to have one. Anyway I have had it for awhile now and love it more each day. The wait was well worth it.
Mike Lindsey

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Nick - please do me a big favor. Pop DVE back in again at your current preferred subwoofer volume setting. Tell me what the subwoofer calibration tone is now reading.

Thanks in advance....

Ed

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Nick,

The reason Ed asked that is that it seems there are at least SOME copies of DVE, that are mastered much too high on the LFE tone (which results in a much too LOW calibration). See this thread here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=184501

This has been addressed to a degree on the DVE website but it's really not clear just what the situation is. If you have accesss to other test disks, like Avia or the old Video Essentials, try them too. Even your receiver test tones might yield some more insight.

Suffice it to say that as long as you are not bottoming your SVS (resulting in a loud clack of the woofer going into over-excursion) then just gettting the effect you want is the key. And it might turn out you are not calibrated as "hot" as you might think if you only use DVE as your source.

Ron
SVS

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Charlie,

PB2-Plus subs are shipping every week. While supply continues to out run supply to some degree we are down to a 2 week wait in most cases.

Drop us a line if you want a personal ETA but based on the flow of orders and materials I think late next week is likely if you ordered recently.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks