What's new

Not sure about buying Knights of the Old Republic (1 Viewer)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
This begs the question...wait for the PC version? I have Xbox and PC. I love all Bioware's PC titles, including the maligned, flawed yet brilliant in many ways Neverwinter Nights. Since I am not an Xbox Live owner (why? I have DSL and nothing beats BF1942 online, baby), I wonder if waiting is more prudent. You know there will be tons of mods out there for the PC version, some of which will probably be nice. Sure, Xbox might get some new content, but I doubt it will be as much. Just a thought. Anyone else waiting? Why or why not??

I am torn! I really want this game and may not be able to wait...but fall is the target and I think I can make it (as long as summer continues to be more fun that being on the computer).

Torn, I tells ya!

Phil

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Okay, here's a question for gamers: What's the most important aspect of an RPG? In my opinion, it would be the story.
For me, it's just remembering what the letters stand for. I think a role-playing game should be a game in which your choices in how to act affect the gameplay. Having a good story doesn't hurt, though, and I think KOTOR's got a pretty good one with likable characters. That's saying a lot coming from me since I usually like games in spite of their attempts to tell stories :)

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I am torn! I really want this game and may not be able to wait...but fall is the target and I think I can make it (as long as summer continues to be more fun that being on the computer).
It's only $50! When the PC version comes out, just sell the xbox version on ebay for around $35. Then the PC version only actually cost you $15. :emoji_thumbsup:

WillY

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, the PC version ends up costing you $65 (-$50 + $35 - $50).

Why wait? That's like never going to the theater because eventually the movie will be out on DVD with commentary and such.

I hadn't played my XBox in weeks, and was either downright pissed or disappointed with my last two game purchases (Enter the Matrix sucks, and Midnight Club 2 is only so-so). I was hesitant to buy this game, but now all I can think about is clearing my journal of those pesky side quests and making sure I get all the Light points I can get, not to mention thinking about what feats I really need (and damn it, when do I become a Jedi). And this is only after one night of playing, and I haven't even gotten to the good stuff apparently.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Okay, here's a question for gamers: What's the most important aspect of an RPG? In my opinion, it would be the story.
Story is important, but the fighting is key to me. I can't stand Final Fantasy type games; they're just too slow and boring. The engine in KOTOR is brand new to me and I really like it a lot. This being said, I wouldn't have touched this game if it wasn't Star Wars related, but I can't put it down.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I was thinking about it today and Bioware just killed the classic turn based RPG for me. The way they handled it in KOTOR was so darn slick and well integrated I'm going to expect other RPGs to now follow suit. When one pulls the old "entering combat" and then giving each character a move/attack it's going to feel hokey and boring. I know KOTOR is turn based under the hood, but they just obliterated the need for a slow and unresponsive fighting engine or user interface.

Man, they really hit a home run with this game. How fast you think they can make KOTOR 2? :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking about it today and Bioware just killed the classic turn based RPG for me. The way they handled it in KOTOR was so darn slick and well integrated I'm going to expect other RPGs to now follow suit. When one pulls the old "entering combat" and then giving each character a move/attack it's going to feel hokey and boring. I know KOTOR is turn based under the hood, but they just obliterated the need for a slow and unresponsive fighting engine or user interface.
Not having played KOTOR I would still have to agree with you - the idea of traditional RPG turned based combat is why I never play them. That said I'm going to merge this into the "should I buy" thread, which already discusses the new combat system. We have three separate threads already running.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Well, this thread convinced me to buy it even though I'm knee-deep in NCAA 2004 and won't get around to playing KOTOR for quite a while. I decided to nab it while Circuit City still had their free $10 gift card deal since I won't be able to find the game cheaper for at least a year if not later.

Chris Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
I am now convinced too. I am going pick this up at Circuit while they are still offering their $10 gift card. Does anyone know if Best Buy will match Circuit City's offer and perhaps sell the game for $39.99?

Leroy

Second Unit
I figureed I'd trade this in once I finished it and save my credit for Jedi Academy...but nooooooooo. Why does this game have to be so much fun:D Now I'm gonna have to go back and play it thru as a Dark Jedi. Then, I just my play it again for the hell of it!!

I hope they maek the LIVE! content available on the demo discs (no DSL or CABLE available in my area:frowning: )

Adam_Brian

Auditioning
Yep, I foresee myself playing through this game twice. I'm choosing all the "light side" options this time through -- but some of those dark side options are so tempting! I've logged a solid 11 hours of game time thus far and I'm still not off Taris yet. I've got to say, I really feel like I'm getting my money's worth on this one. :)

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
I'm going to play it through again, but I don't think I can bring myself to be evil. I guess I'm just a wuss.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to play it through again, but I don't think I can bring myself to be evil. I guess I'm just a wuss.
After I did all this I felt dirtier than Lady Macbeth. But I'm definitely going to play through again and do many things differently in order to see as many of the game's different paths as I can :)

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Ach! That's terrible, Andy. I just don't have the strength of character to be evil, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks