What's new

Not getting Dolby Digital from TV's optical out (1 Viewer)

Judochop

Grip
Real Name
Errol
Hi.

My BD-P1600 Samsung Blu Ray is connected via HDMI to my TC-P55UT50 Panasonic TV. I have the TV connected via Optical to my receiver.

The problem is that I am not getting Dolby Digital at the receiver through the TV. I do, however, get DD when I go direct from the Blu Ray to the receiver, but I was hoping to be able to keep my receiver at one input (from TV) for everything.

In Audio Settings, my Blu Ray player has the following 3 options:
PCM
Bitstream (re-encode)
Bitstream (audiophile)

There's also a section labeled "Downmix Mode" from which I can choose either:
Normal Stereo
Surround Compatable

Is there some configuration with the above that should work? Is there some setting on the TV that would allow Dolby Digital to pass through?

Sorry, if this has been asked/answered a zillion times already.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
99% of the tv's out there will only pass a stereo signal out the optical port not a 5.1 signal. That's why it's best to run all audio into the receiver and use it as the switching device for the other components.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Judochop said:
I figured as much. Old receiver. No HDMI. No other choice.

Thanks.
Doesn't the receiver have optical or digital coax input for audio?
Use HDMI from cable/sat box to tv for video, and optical or digital coax from cable/sat box to receiver, for audio.

Judochop

Grip
Real Name
Errol
Ed Moxley said:
Doesn't the receiver have optical or digital coax input for audio?
Use HDMI from cable/sat box to tv for video, and optical or digital coax from cable/sat box to receiver, for audio.
I dumped cable (just today, as a matter of fact - yay me!!!), so I don't have a box. All I've got is HDMI antenna and Blu Ray, both going into TV. From there I was hoping to go optical out to my AVR and keep the AVR set at that one input.

But it seems I can't, at least as far as the Blu Ray is concerned. It doesn't make any sense to me why I CAN get Dolby Digital out of the TV when the source is antenna, or streaming, but I can't when the source comes over through HDMI, but that seems to be the situation.

So, until such time as I purchase an up to date receiver with some HDMI inputs/output, my Blu Ray is going HDMI into the TV, and optical to the receiver.

I'm sure everything I just said has also already been said "ad nauseum".

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Cause if you read the owners manual of your TV, it will tell you that "incoming inputs are output 2.0pcm". There have been less than .05% of TV made that preserved 5.1 from incoming HDMI.

Judochop

Grip
Real Name
Errol
schan1269 said:
Cause if you read the owners manual of your TV, it will tell you that "incoming inputs are output 2.0pcm".There have been less than .05% of TV made that preserved 5.1 from incoming HDMI.
In fact, the only thing my owner's manual tells me is found within the specs table, and it is this, and I quote:

DIGITAL AUDIO OUT: PCM / DOBLY DIGITAL, Fiber Optic

What am I supposed to take away from this? Perhaps I don't read specsheet very well, but that looks to me like there's a strong possibility that DOLBY DIGITAL is going to be output. Which it is, though evidently only when it's coming in through antenna or ethernet. I don't know how I'm supposed to decipher this though, unless I ask the good and caring people of internet land who do know. People like you.

I am now educated, and annoyed by your tone, Mr. Three stars. Par for the course for those humbly seeking advice on the internet I suppose.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
On both our Panny, it is in "the notes" where it tells you.Just like in AVR OMs, the fact zone 2/3 only works via analog, it is in "the notes".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks