What's new

Normalization +4 ...........what does this mean? (1 Viewer)

BrentSP

Agent
Real Name
Brent Pearcy

I guess I don't understand when you say absolute and relative in volume terms. I'm not sure what the range of volume I have on my Marantz. I usually set the volume anywhere from -14 to -9 when watching a moviem, "0" would be damn loud. When set the levels using my recievers test tone the output on my receivers display shows "0". My volume levels are as follows
FL +7
C +10
FR +7
SR +10
SRB +10
SLB +10
SL + 10
Sub -12

Steve^S

Stunt Coordinator
From Denon's site:
Dialog Normalization, on the other hand, helps you avoid the "this one’s too loud, this one’s too soft" level differences often encountered when changing inputs or sources. Dialog Normalization, which takes its clues from information embedded in the digital audio data stream, makes sure everything’s "just right" -- that levels are roughly the same as you switch sources.

hth
Steve

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
As someone running projection at a megaplex when Star Wars Ep. III came out, with specific instructions from Lucasfilm to play the feature at DD EX reference levels, I can attest that reference level is quite loud, but not quite loud enough to need earplugs, as was the case with taking my daughter to her first rock concert.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Brent, I really would not get so caught up in determining reference level with your receiver. What is important is getting the balance between the channels right and having a usable volume range.

On my system I calibrated it 5dB "low". In other words, on my receiver, which is full THX certified, you are "supposed" to calibrate "0" to reference level. The max volume is +12. Of course, reference level is pretty damn loud and I ended up with mostly severe "+" settings on the channels, all to get a maximum level I would never use. So, I suited it more to my needs and calibrated "0" to 5dB below reference. If for some completely pointless reason I want to make a point of playing back at reference, I know that I have to set it to +5, not 0.

BrentSP

Agent
Real Name
Brent Pearcy
Thanks JohnRice, I'm not sure if I'm doing this right or not. I use my HT calibration DVD and I set the overall volume to "0" which gives me +18 of headroom on the volume dial. I also started off setting all my channels to 0 and it so happens that with everything set to 0 I get 85db out of the DVD's test tone + or - a few on the channels. I talked with a THX tech a while back and he says for commercial theaters the standard levels for DD is 85db front sound stage, 82db for surrounds and 92db for LFE.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Brent, the number on the level setting for each channel is somewhat arbitrary. It does mean something, but the odds of the correct balance being 0 for every channel is virtually nonexistant. Technically, you want the resulting sound level after calibration with the SPL meter to be equal on each channel. Which calibration disc do you have? It should explain this. The + or - number set on each channel is just the amount of boost or cut that has to be applied to each channel to achieve this. They should not all be 0 and odds are not a single one of them will be 0.

Now, as far as the level of the LFE goes, most people like to set it a bit hot, as in, higher than the others. So, let's say all the other channels are at 85 dB at the 0 volume setting, you might set the LFE to about 90, but it is really personal preference.

Some people like the center a little higher, some don't. Some like the surrounds a little high, some like them far too high, some like them a little low. Technically, they are supposed to be the same, but you are the one listening.

BrentSP

Agent
Real Name
Brent Pearcy

With the volume of the reciever set to 0 I then began to take a reading on each channel with the DVD test tone and they all happen to be + or - around 0. Some were -1 some where +2, the sub was -10. I'm using Discwasher Digital Home Theater Calibration DVD. It doesn't tell me where the volume should be set on my receiver.

Everyone talks about how loud reference standard is (volume at 0 after calibrated) and I don't find it obscenely loud but more comfortable than anything. I mean its loud but not "holy crap I need to turn that down loud" with that said my wife thinks its loud. I'm a musician though and loud is when you have a 100 watt all tube Bogner halfstack behind you. I guess its just perception.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Okay,I'll try to solve the mystery of reference level.Let's assume Your volumn control goes from 0 to 165,0 being the lowest,165 being the highest.Reference level will be the halfway point between both.In this case,reference level would be 83.Now,a better way to check through Your test tones would be to use the ones found on a STARWARS film.All of those films and certain select dvds have what's known as a THX Optimizer that runs you through a series of audio and video tests.On the audio side there's Phase checks,Subwoofer sweeps(Be VERY Careful To Turn Down the Volumn for This One),Speaker identification and Test Tones for all channels including your Subwoofer.Also,is Your SPL set correctly? Make sure all these are right: 1.Set to C weighting 2.Set to Slow response 3.Set within the correct range You're trying to read at. Example:If you want to see if your db setting is going up to 75 but not over,You have to set the meter at 80db to get an accurate read.Hope this helps.

BrentSP

Agent
Real Name
Brent Pearcy

My volume on my Marantz goes from -71 to +18, with -71 being is lowest setting and +18 being its highest. Actually "oo" is the lowest then -71, -70. -69 etc. 0 is actually 2/3rds of the entire volume range and not the half way point on mine. So I guess my halfway point would be -26.5 or -27 since I don't have .5 increments? And this is where I need to set the volume for channel volume testing?

troy evans

Screenwriter
If that is Exactly the halfway point between lowest volumn You can turn the control down to,and I mean all the way down so You hear no sound at all aka MIN Volumn, and the highest volumn that your receiver can reach aka MAX Volumn than yes that is Reference Level.Make sure when You do Your calibrations You turn OFF any bass enhancement or treble.Have these settings at O and adjust them to Your taste after calibration is done.

BrentSP

Agent
Real Name
Brent Pearcy

So would I need to set all speakers to Large for the SPL reading because I haven't, I've set all to small and 80hz x/o. But yes it goes from min volume oo, -71, -70, -69 etc, etc, to 0 then +1, +2,
+3 etc, etc all the way to +18 for max volume.

By the way, I just bought Avia II the new 2007 version. It should come in the end of this week hopefully.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Set Your speakers to SMALL.You want to send all bass signals to Your Subwoofer.Setting to small will do just that.If You set a speaker to LARGE it keeps the bass so to speak in that speaker.You don't want that.You want to send all Your low frequency LFE to Your Subwoofer,no if ands or buts.You'll increase the range of Your speakers having them at SMALL as well.When You first make the Small from Large speaker adjustment,You're going to notice Your system may seem less loud than it was before.This is a good thing.Now notice how much more presence all your speakers have.Surrounds will be operating at their full range in particular.Remember Volumn of a system should be controlled by You not Your speaker settings.If You need it louder just turn up the volumn control.

troy evans

Screenwriter
The first Avia was a fantastic setup disc.I'll bet 2 will be good as well.Good choice!After You get Your speakers calibrated let Me know.The next step will be fine tuning Your Subwoofer.I was given the best advice in the World by CEES ALONS about this subject which I'll be happy to share with You.There's so much to all this I know it can get frustrating,but man,once You get Your system set right there's nothing like it.You won't even be impressed with Movie Theaters Anymore.It can be that Good!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks