What's new

Norhs in car (or which speakers for my car) (1 Viewer)

BrianKM

Stunt Coordinator
If I remember correctly, Norh 4.0s use Vifa drivers originally designed for automobiles. Has anyone actually installed these components in their car? Realizing that enclosures play a large part in the sonic qualities of a speaker, how did they sound when installed in a car?
Are there other car audio speakers (MB Quart, Focal, Infinity, etc.) that I should consider if I want a lot of detail and a nice, neutral sound for under $500 front and rear?
The car in question is a Pathfinder with 6 1/2 components up front and 6 1/2 coaxials in the rear.
Thanks.

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I believe that only the tweeter from the 4.0 is from the automotive side. I have 3 Norh 4.0s for center and surrounds, they sound great. I can't comment on how well they would work in a car.

Mike Burke

Stunt Coordinator
Well Car Audio is a big hobby of mine so I hope this helps!
I am going to give a few scenarios then give my suggestions to them:
If you are the main person driving (long commute alone Etc.) then I would say put about 75% of your speaker budget into the fronts and the remaining into rears! While you are driving you want the BEST possible sound imaging and having the best possible speakers upfront will provide that. The rear speakers are just ambiance at this point. Another option is to get some nice speakers upfront, use the stock ones in the rear and invest in a subwoofer for the rear. Personally I think this is the best option.
If you have a "full car" I say screw the people in back and go with suggestion #1!! If they wanted a good seat in the house then they should have offered to drive!..LOL!!!!
If using a sub in the back is NOT an option then there are speaker manufacturers who sell just midbass drivers. This will provide a nice little punch in the back and you can concentrate all the highs/mid high's to the front where it is most critical!
Now for choosing the speakers:
I highly recommend using component speakers!!!! Having the luxury of mounting the tweeter anywhere on the door will greatly improve the sound. With 1 piece setups the tweeter and woofer are shooting at your knees...unless you listen with your knees..NOT a good place! A few speaker makers offer angled mounts so placement options are limitless!
In my car the stock enclosure was too low on the door so I mounted my woofer in the stock location and in the storage sill in the bottom/front part I mounted the tweeter aiming right up the exact middle of the car close to my ears.
I hope this helps. if you have any other questions let me know! I can be emailed at [email protected]
Mike
Installed in my 1999 Cougar is a Kenwood Excelon KDC-715 CD player, a/d/s P640 amp, Boston Acoustic Pro Series 6.4's upfront, stock in the rear, and JL Audio 10in Powerwedge Sub.

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Mike, this is certainly topic drift but wth - Do you know of any DTS decoders, other than the now defunct sherwood, for car audio systems?

George Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Brian I still work in car audio daily and what Shade said is absolutly right. I'm not sure what year your Nissan is but some of them came with tweeter mounts in the A pillers which is a pretty good spot for them.
Jah-Wren as far as DTS processing for car look at the ECLIPSE 55090, and the 39011. If you want the best out there look into the ALPINE F#1 status(7000.00 for deck and processor). but pretty much all the big names are going to DTS as that is now a catigory in the competition arena (USAC)
George

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks