What's new

Norbit - Eddie Murphy - times 3 (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
just saw a trailer for this on Jackass 2 dvd.
trailer is funny.
eddie plays 3 characters

an obese woman, an asian (i think) and a, um a guy who seems to be not all there.

anyway looks funny.

comes to theaters in FEB

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477051/

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I finally watched the trailer for this today (motivated by the tons of posters that are all over the metro these days), and I have to say, this looks really funny. I love Eddie Murphy; I think that he's still just an amazing comedian. And pairing him with Eddie Griffin should be a good team, too. I think the Eddie-as-woman character is my favorite at the moment.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
We saw this trailer in the movie theater. I first was thinking, "oh..another stand by me, Nickelodeon kids move" and then when they showed her and Norbit as grown ups I knew it was going to be different.

The Bikini scene had the whole movie theater laughing pretty hard.

We will definitely go see this one.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I swear, everytime I see the Eddie Murphy dressed up as the extra large woman character, I crack up. I can't help myself. I'm so there for this, too. (Seems like one of thsoe movies that's best to watch in a theater full of people laughing along with it.)

Though Eddie is wonderful in Dreamgirls I'm glad to see him return to his comedy roots, too.

(PS - Has anyone looked at the official site? It's meetnorbit.com They have a rib toss game based off of how much the Rasputia (womam character) loves ribs. And also there are Norbit valentines. I love it!)

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
I've seen the trailer for this about a dozen times now and for the life of me I can't figure out what the movie is about...

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea what it's about either, but I have to admit it looks funny as hell. I've been waiting a long time for Eddie to make a funny movie and this could certainly be the one(fingers crossed).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I've been seeing tv spots for this and everytime I see Eddie as that wierd dude with the glasses and afro I lose it lol, probably because there are some hints of 'Jiff' from Bowfinger in there lol. :laugh:

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I think that there's nobody who does the playing multiple character things like Eddie (apparently he plays an Asian man in this too? I think?), and he's so good at making them so different.

Sometimes you just need a movie that'll give you a lot of good laughs, and I think this is my pick for that next week.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
not surprised that anyone who has seen it responded.

it was garbage.

it could easily be called "the Spousal Abuse Is Funny Edition"

not gonna say anymore.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i was just reading some best of/worst of stuff at rotten tomatoes and believe it or not this movie grossed:

95 million frackin' bux. wtf is going on in america.......

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The only appeal this movie had for me was Norbit himself and the town/set it was filmed in, it was Stars Hollow from Gilmore Girls and also served as the setting for the climax of The Monster Squad.

Diallo B

Screenwriter

while your sentiment is understood, it just plain bewilders me that this movie grossed this amount.

this assuredly would mean a sequel. and this movie was terrible. did you see it? as i watched it i was thinking this is pretty bad and then the ending rolled around and made it even worse.

i am astounded.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I DID see it, and it IS a terrible movie. I just don't like the American-bashing sentiment that implies only Americans are stupid enough to see movies like this. Folks in other countries embrace crap, too - bad taste isn't an American invention.

I think a lot of the money it made was front-loaded. It LOOKED like it'd be funny. The Norbit character reminded me a lot of Murphy's Jif from the wonderful Bowfinger, and Eddie's done some good work with multiple characters in the same film; I actually rather like Klumps.

Norbit made more than 1/3rd of its overall take in its opening weekend - it didn't tank after word of mouth got it, but it didn't have great legs, either.

Norbit is maybe the only movie I ever abandoned in theaters. I went to see it but gave up about half an hour into it. Granted, I did so because I theater-hopped to Pan Labyrinth - if I'd not known that I could jump to another movie, I would've stubbornly suffered through all of Norbit. I paid my $8 and wasn't leaving unless I watched at least ONE whole movie! :D

But I did see all of Norbit on DVD and it didn't get better:

http://www.dvdmg.com/norbit.shtml

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I have to agree with Colin, people saw the preview and saw what looked like by all accounts another funny Eddie Murphy movie, they didn't know it would suck until they went to see it.

I didn't keep up with the grosses for the film but i'm willing to bet that it rolled off rapidly after opening week, that means that people went, realized it sucked and word of mouth took care of the rest.

The film was terrible, the wife Murphy played was an abusive lout and the filmmakers took obvious punches at overweight people for my taste. :thumbsdown:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
for example of who thought it might be funny from preview just look at my op and several posts after it.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i thought that it would be funny as well. i just don't see how it made almost 100 million bux. that is crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks