What's new

Noob with lots of questions (1 Viewer)

Curly

Agent
Real Name
Kurt Sligh
Here's the speaker setup I chose. It is a sound bar so there are no rear speakers. I can't get a good feel for what bi-amping is through the user manual so I'm wondering if this is causing issues. [COLOR=FF00AA]5.1 Channel surround system and front Bi-amping. connection (high quality surround). Speaker system setting: Front Bi-amp Bi-amping connection of the front speakers for high sound quality with 5.1 channel surround sound. [/COLOR] The rear of the receiver has a place for Front L and R / Center L and R / Surround L AND R / Surround Back Zone 2 L and R / Front Height Wide L and R I chose Front L and R / Center L and R / Surround L AND R

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Speaker system setting: Front Bi-amp
I chose Front L and R / Center L and R / Surround L AND R
The Bi-amp mode is for when you want to have seperate amplification channels going to the same set of speakers - say front left tweeter and front left bass speaker sections - with your sound bar, you should not be able to bi-amp the front... Also - there should be only 1 center channel ....should be setup as: Front - left, Right Center Surrond left, Right... I will look up your manual and see - the bi-amping will end up deviding the signal in the processor and sending part of it through one of the surrond channels... --

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
OK, there's some good information there.

First of all, Bi-amping with a standard A/V receiver really doesn't have a whole lot of benefit - and with a sound bar, the benefit is probably even further diminished (if, as Martin said, it's even possible).

That being said, if you DO want to bi-amp with the Pioneer, you should use the Surround Back/Zone 2 speaker terminals to bi-amp, not the regular surround speaker terminals (manual p. 14).

Did you mean to make the highlighted text a link in your post? I don't think it worked correctly - can you provide a model number to the specific sound bar you're using?

I would think, as a part of the troubleshooting process, skip the bi-amping for now and see if a more "vanilla" hookup solves the problem.

Edit: Ah, Martin beat me by a minute or two....

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Looked up your manual: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/VSX-50 On page 12 I see what you selected - section [d] as you describe... I think you want section [e] 5.1 channel surround system & ZONE 2 connection (Multi Zone) Even though you may not be using ZONE 2 - this will setup the rest of the system as a normal 5.1 system...not a bi-amped 5.1 system. -- you are telling the system what to do with the 7.1 channels of amplifcation....what do I do with the extra 2 channels if I am only using 5 speakers (in your case - 5 speakers in 1 sound bar)... The extra 2 channels are not needed - and can be connected to an additional 2 speakers if you want to use them...or not use them at all. With your setup, you told the system that you want to multiply the front speaker information in one of the rear channels, and have both of them go to the same speakers....since this is not your case, it might have been causing issues...

Curly

Agent
Real Name
Kurt Sligh
Martino said:
I think you want section [e] 5.1 channel surround system & ZONE 2 connection (Multi Zone) Even though you may not be using ZONE 2 - this will setup the rest of the system as a normal .... it might have been causing issues...
Dangit...I was so close :rolleyes: I almost choose that one, but that extra zone scared me off. Man I hope that's it. I'll let ya know tonight. Thanks again for all of the advice. Curly

Curly

Agent
Real Name
Kurt Sligh
Martino, That did it! Thanks to everyone who helped walk me through this ordeal. If I need any more home theater info I know where to come. It sounds pretty darn awesome...I ran my 13 year old daughter out of the room last night when I was trying to shut down the reciever. :D Curly

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks