What's new

Noob with lots of questions (1 Viewer)

Curly

Agent
Real Name
Kurt Sligh
Sorry about all of these dup posts. It kept telling me it failed and to try again later. Apparently it wasn't actually failing :rolleyes:

Curly

Agent
Real Name
Kurt Sligh
Given what I've ordered should I have to pay someone to set this up or is it more of a plug it in and go sort of thing? Definitive Technology ProSub 1000 Black- BBNDMA Definitive Technology MYTHOS SSA-50 BLACK - BBVEJB Pioneer Elite 50 7.1 Channel 630 Watt Receiver Panasonic 3d blu-ray (don't have model handy) Panasonic - 65" Class / Plasma / 1080p / P65GT30 / 3D / HDTV The wireless router is upstairs in a different area that the HT stuff will be going. But from what I've heard the smart TV will use the wireless router.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Given what I've ordered should I have to pay someone to set this up or is it more of a plug it in and go sort of thing?
It should not be that hard to set this up yourself - you just need some cables and connectors and you can set it up yourself... If you don't want to spend a lot on your cables...here is an example of an order from monoprice....=== $33.57 For your speakers: You have ordered a receiver, a sound bar and a powered sub. -- You will need to run speaker wire from your receiver to your sound bar, and a sub cable from your receiver to your sub. You will need to plug in the sub to a power source (it will have a power cable supplied)... The sound bar you ordered as a labeled connection for each of the speakers...left, center, right, left surround, right surround. For easier hookup - add banna plugs - 10 pairs at $1.53/pair -- you will then cut the wire to go between the receiver and the sound bar, and put a banna plug on each end. The plugs will fit into the holes on each end - make sure to connect the red to red and black to black plugs....then you just run 1 completed cable from the labeled output on the receiver to the labeled input on the sound bar. 50 ft of 16 gage wire - $9.80 http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023903&p_id=2749&seq=1&format=2 banna plugs - 10 pairs at $1.53/pair http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=2801&seq=1&format=2 For the powered sub - depends on how far away from your receiver your sub will be - need to connect an RCA sub cable between your receiver and your sub: You would then connect 1 end of this cable to the sub out on your receiver, and the other end to the sub itself. Then plug in the sub and you are good to go there. 25' sub cable - $1.73 (cheaper if you don't need one that long...) http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021810&p_id=655&seq=1&format=2 For your components: You will need 2 HDMI cables to hook up your blu-ray player - 1 from the player to the receiver, 1 from the receiver to the TV. 6 ft HDMI cables - $3.37 Each X 2 = http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&format=2 One cable will go from the output of your blu-ray player to one of the HDMI inputs on your receiver. This will carry both the audio and video signal. You will then hook up the HDMI output on your receiver to an HDMI input on your TV. Your receiver will process the audio portion of the signal, and send the video portion to the TV. You will turn the speakers on your TV to OFF, and use the sound bar and sub for all of the audio. == After you have everything that you need - follow the manual with the receiver and/or come in here for more advice. Good luck and have some fun with your new equipment!

Curly

Agent
Real Name
Kurt Sligh
Wow, that's a lot of help, thanks Martino. I guess there's no tuning of anything, huh? What about the wireless connection of the TV to the router, could that be a disaster?

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I'm not an expert in the wireless end of things, so I didn't add anything for that part. After all of the wires/connections - you will follow the instructions on your receiver for all of the setup goodies. Your receiver manual will take you through the setup process - but you can't get that far until you get it all hooked up....the hooking it up part is what I supplied above...

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
No problem - I hope you can get it all hooked up soon. Even thought some sick folks like myself actually like the buying/setup part, most normal folks just like to get it all hooked up once and enjoy the equipment with friends and family. I have helped several of my friends with their systems and setup, and enjoy helping people out here as well.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I would not use this type of speaker wire:

Quote:
27491.jpg

I prefer this type:

50 ft of 16 AWG, in-wall rated - $7.28

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023903&p_id=2822&seq=1&format=2

28221.jpg

It looks nicer, is better shielded, and can be run in the wall if needed. This is the ONLY type if speaker wire I use. My experience with the other type is, after time, the insulation gets gummy.

Definitely get the banana plugs - they are a time-saver when hooking up to your receiver.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Make sure the TV has built-in WiFi, and is not "Wi-Fi Ready." The adapter for a Wi-Fi Ready TV is, in my opinion, cost-prohibitive when compared to a similar model with built-in WiFi.

Originally Posted by Curly

Wow, that's a lot of help, thanks Martino.

I guess there's no tuning of anything, huh?

What about the wireless connection of the TV to the router, could that be a disaster?
/t/318672/noob-with-lots-of-questions#post_3902167

Curly

Agent
Real Name
Kurt Sligh
Toddwrtr said:
Make sure the TV has built-in WiFi, and is not "Wi-Fi Ready." The adapter for a Wi-Fi Ready TV is, in my opinion, cost-prohibitive when compared to a similar model with built-in WiFi.
Well, the TV is a Panasonic (P65GT30). I wasn't sure so I went back and looked at the specs and it said it has an included adapted, hopefully that will do it. [COLOR=FF00AA]•use the included Wi-Fi® USB adapter to link to a wireless network[/COLOR]

Curly

Agent
Real Name
Kurt Sligh
Would radio shack or walmart have the banana plugs and 14 or 16 gauge wire?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wal-Mart - No. Radio Shack - probably but they will be over priced. Parts Express or Monoprice are the preferred suppliers for this type of equipment. I've also found some great deals on plugs and terminals on Ebay.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I would also add that monoprice usually ships their orders very quickly - everything I have ever ordered from them has come within the same week that I ordered it - and usually with a 2 or 3 day turn around...

Curly

Agent
Real Name
Kurt Sligh
Pioneer Elite 50 7.1 Channel 630 Watt Receiver Panasonic - 65" Class / Plasma / 1080p / P65GT30 / 3D / HDTV OK, that's the TV and reciever I got. I've got the TV working wireless to me network and the Blu-ray works but I can't get my non-tv speakers to work. Well, they do work with the tuner. I've tried everything. I've called pioneer and panasonic. Panasonic finally said that since the reciever did not have an arc plugin it just flat out could not connect. That's hard for me to hear. Does it sound true? Thanks, Curly

Curly

Agent
Real Name
Kurt Sligh
Now I talked to someone from the geek squa and they said there is a fiber optic cable that will get the tv setup correctly. Any thoughts.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
the Blu-ray works but I can't get my non-tv speakers to work.
So does your Blu-ray send audio to your sound system? You say it works but then it doesn't. I'm not following.
Well, they do work with the tuner.
The speakers work with the TV tuner or the receiver's radio tuner? You need to be more specific.
Now I talked to someone from the geek squa and they said there is a fiber optic cable that will get the tv setup correctly. Any thoughts.
I think you need to stay away from the Nerd Herd. Yes, a fiber optic cable may or may not work. Depends on what your exact issue is and what you are wanting to do.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Curly

Panasonic finally said that since the reciever did not have an arc plugin it just flat out could not connect.

There's no reason you should be using ARC for Blu-Ray. I'm guessing you have your Blu-Ray connected directly to the TV via HDMI. The Geek Squad is telling you to run optical from TV to receiver, but that's a REALLY bad idea, because you'll definitely lose lossless Blu-ray audio, and will likely lose all digital surround audio, too.

You should connect the Blu-Ray directly to your receiver via HDMI, then run a second HDMI cable from receiver to TV. The TV in a home theater setup should really function as a monitor. You run a single video feed to it, and switch both audio and video at the receiver. That's what the receiver was designed to do, and if you've sprung for a nice receiver and killer speakers, you have no reason to go back and use the 10W cardboard POS speakers in the TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks